Page 148 of 194 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1937

Thread: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758, 1205]

  1. #1471
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Again, it's a tax credit. I still have to make monthly premiums from money I don't have.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  2. #1472
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Seriously mac???

    Do I really have to post this again???

    Un****ingbelievable.

    Whatever. Hopefully, reading it a second time will clarify why your question is a sad pathetic strawman ...


    Palin revives 'death panels' claim ahead of Supreme Court decision

    "Though I was called a liar for calling it like it is, many of these accusers finally saw that Obamacare did in fact create a panel of faceless bureaucrats who have the power to make life and death decisions about health care funding," she wrote Monday.

    But Palin's initial comments make no mention of the IPAB. At the time, she referred to a proposal in the House's healthcare bill to have Medicare reimburse doctors for discussing end-of-life planning with their elderly patients.

    The House bill did not include the IPAB at all, and in the wake of Palin's remarks, end-of-life planning was axed from the Senate bill that Obama ultimately signed.


    Read the part in red a few times, just to be sure.

    You are either a really, really bad liar, or just an easy dupe to liberal propaganda...

    The Independent Payment Advisory Board, or IPAB, is a fifteen-member United States Government agency created in 2010 by sections 3403 and 10320 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act which has the explicit task of achieving specified savings in Medicare without affecting coverage or quality.[1] Under previous and current law, changes to Medicare payment rates and program rules are recommended by MedPAC but require an act of Congress to take effect. The new system grants IPAB the authority to make changes to the Medicare program with the Congress being given the power to overrule the agency's decisions.

    Independent Payment Advisory Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and the National Review article I posted are from as far back as two weeks ago...Please re read.

    IPAB, Obamacare

    Now stop lying.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #1473
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Again Karl, all one gets is tax credits, NOT reduced premiums. Again for clarity, tax credits don't mean crap to someone who can't afford the insurance in the first place.
    Oops. For clarity, here's your smiley:

    How will premium subsidies be provided?

    Premium tax credits would be refundable and advanceable. A refundable tax credit is one that is available to a person
    even if he or she has no tax liability. An advanceable tax credit allows a person to receive assistance at the time that they
    purchase insurance
    rather than paying their premium out of pocket and waiting to be reimbursed when filing their annual
    income tax return.

    http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/7962-02.pdf

  4. #1474
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    you're both right.... it's a refundable tax credit.. but you have to pay all year long and then get it back.

    sure, you get the credit for whatever you pay, but if you can't afford it, you still gotta muddle through til tax time
    Folks will simply take health insurance from March to May, then cancel. Or better yet join a church exempt from the law.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  5. #1475
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    The topic was not Medicare, therefore your answer was off topic and/or a red herring.

    That the taxes were 'on the rich' is another off topic red herring (general taxes were the discussion... Sheik's taxes IIRC). Yes, yes, you said they were on the rich, everyone can read.

    I did not say that you have failed to identify them as Medicare taxes (since it was plainly there for anyone to read, why would I?), meaning that in addition to all you other errors, you have now introduced a strawman.
    we weren't talking about Medicare.. we were talking about the tax increases imposed under Obamacare...... I made no errors, it's just that you failed to read.

  6. #1476
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You are either a really, really bad liar, or just an easy dupe to liberal propaganda...

    and the National Review article I posted are from as far back as two weeks ago...Please re read.

    IPAB, Obamacare

    Now stop lying.
    Come on, you and the right are the ones making stuff up. Everybody knows what the original Death Panel deal was (besides ludicrous). Now you and National Review are making up another Death Panel -- different section of Obamacare, same stupid talking point. It's bull**** and everyone trying to sell it knows it.

  7. #1477
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    [...] Or better yet join a church exempt from the law.
    But then they'll get pregnant because birth control is not allowed, and they won't be able to have an abortion. Whose taxes are gonna pay for that baby boom?

    Wait, I've got it -- we'll give the churches tax subsidies

  8. #1478
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Oops. For clarity, here's your smiley:
    New eligibility rules enacted under PPACA extend coverage in Medicaid to most people with incomes under 133% of poverty.
    For people with somewhat higher incomes (up to 400% of poverty), PPACA provides tax credits that reduce premium costs.
    People with incomes up to 250% of poverty also are eligible for reduced cost sharing (e.g., coverage with lower deductibles
    and copayments) paid for by the federal government. The premium tax credits and cost-sharing assistance will begin in 2014.

    Who is eligible for premium tax credits?
    Citizens and legal residents in families with incomes between 133% and 400% of poverty who purchase coverage through
    a health insurance exchange1 are eligible for a tax credit to reduce the cost of coverage.

    How will premium subsidies be provided?

    Premium tax credits would be refundable and advanceable. A refundable tax credit is one that is available to a person even if he or she has no tax liability. An advanceable tax credit allows a person to receive assistance at the time that they purchase insurance rather than paying their premium out of pocket and waiting to be reimbursed when filing their annual income tax return. PPACA requires exchanges to provide information to prospective enrollees about their eligibility for premium tax credits. The process through which people apply for premium tax credits will likely be established by the Secretary of Treasury through regulation.
    Gee Karl, nothing is set up yet for advancement credits. So again for clarity......tax credits don't mean crap to someone who can't afford the insurance in the first place. At the rate the Obama administration has lied about the Obama Care Bill I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for those advanced credits.
    Last edited by Prof. Peabody; 06-28-12 at 11:29 PM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  9. #1479
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Gee Karl, nothing is set up yet for advancement credits. [...]
    Man, you're determined to ride that sinking ship all the way to the bottom!

  10. #1480
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Man, you're determined to ride that sinking ship all the way to the bottom!
    Valid questions you just can't answer Karl. Sorry, Obama will be hoist on his own petard come November.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •