Page 147 of 194 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 1937

Thread: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758, 1205]

  1. #1461
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Well since you understand how supply and demand works, you should realize that Obama's healthcare plan would increase the supply to the medical industry. According to the law of supply and demand, this should reduce healthcare costs.
    Please explain this. The supply increase is patients thus increasing the demand on medical providers. How is this going to reduce costs? IF there were some significant increase in medical providers I believe your claim would be true...

  2. #1462
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Again Karl, all one gets is tax credits, NOT reduced premiums. Again for clarity, tax credits don't mean crap to someone who can't afford the insurance in the first place.
    I'm sorry your other post was wrong. I really am.

  3. #1463
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Anyone earning less than 133% of the poverty line will be eligible for free Medicaid. Anyone earning between 133-400% of the poverty line will be eligible for subsidies. So yes, there might be a handful of people who still won't be able to afford it even with the subsidies. But there won't be very many of them, and they'll at least have financial hardship exemptions available so they don't have to buy it. The point of the individual mandate is to dissuade people who CAN afford health insurance but CHOOSE not to get it.
    Again for clarity.

    Folks making more than 133% of the Federal Poverty Level and you pay for insurance or pay the $600 a year tax. A single person making over $14,856 would have to pay for insurance (on $14,856, really?) or $600 tax. A married couple with no kids making over $20,122 a year would be required to pay for insurance for 2 or the tax for 2. A family of 4, 2 adults and 2 kids making over $30,656 a year would have to buy insurance for 4 or pay double the tax for the adults.

    You claim up to 400% subsidies, do you have any proof that comes from a reliable source and not a "kook" blogspot?
    Last edited by Prof. Peabody; 06-28-12 at 11:12 PM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  4. #1464
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,926

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Let's require every American to own a gun. If they don't want to buy one, they can pay a tax. As a sop to liberals, we can give subsidies to poor people so they can buy guns, too. We'll call it the "Affordable Protection for Establishing Security Act," or "APES" for short.
    Нава́льный 2018

  5. #1465
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,353
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Again Karl, all one gets is tax credits, NOT reduced premiums. Again for clarity, tax credits don't mean crap to someone who can't afford the insurance in the first place.
    Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act/Title I/Subtitle E/Part I/Subpart A

    It is a refundable tax credit. Refundable Credits - What's a Refundable Tax Credit?

    A refundable tax credit is a tax credit that is treated as a payment and thus can be refunded to the taxpayer by the Internal Revenue Service.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #1466
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    For now you mean.
    Translation: "wait and see..."


  7. #1467
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    People earning up to 400% of the federal poverty line will be eligible for subsidies. And if for some reason those aren't sufficient, there is a financial hardship exemption in which case they won't have to pay it.



    I'm not too worried about it.
    a lot a low income earners won't be eligible for subsidies..... if their employer offers a qualified plan, they gotta take it or pay the tax.... their premiums are not subsidized.
    subsidies come into play when the employer doesn't have qualified plans to offer.

  8. #1468
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Mark Hemmingway did a good job explaining why liberal supposed fact checkers like 'FactCheck' are nothing but propaganda shills for Obama...

    Lies, Damned Lies, and
    And you believed him, accepted whole, willingly suspending your disbelief? And from the Weekly Standard no less, a completely neutral, unbiased, always accurate publication.

    I'm shocked I tells ya! Shocked!

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #1469
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]


    you're both right.... it's a refundable tax credit.. but you have to pay all year long and then get it back.

    sure, you get the credit for whatever you pay, but if you can't afford it, you still gotta muddle through til tax time

  10. #1470
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Let's require every American to own a gun. If they don't want to buy one, they can pay a tax. As a sop to liberals, we can give subsidies to poor people so they can buy guns, too. We'll call it the "Affordable Protection for Establishing Security Act," or "APES" for short.
    well, it's worth a shot ( no pun intended)... we have precedent now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •