Page 146 of 194 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1937

Thread: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758, 1205]

  1. #1451
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758, 1205]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Wow, semantic word games with colors....It feels so 2nd grade.
    Umm, it's not semantics -- it's responding to what he actually said. I'm sure that concept is foreign to you, but then so are DEATH PANELS!!

    Fortunately for me, I can still type no matter how sore my foot is.

  2. #1452
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,725

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So the last one, family of 4 making over $30K, sounds like a $2400 tax...That family now doesn't pay that in federal tax on the entire income....So Obama is doubling the taxes, net, for poor working families....
    One percent of 30k is 300 bucks. Arithmetic 101.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #1453
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    You left out the subsidies:
    Again Karl, all one gets is tax credits, NOT reduced premiums. Again for clarity, tax credits don't mean crap to someone who can't afford the insurance in the first place.
    Last edited by Prof. Peabody; 06-28-12 at 11:03 PM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  4. #1454
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Are you on government assistance?
    Nowhere near it.

  5. #1455
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Great, yet more empty threats. The law prevents my property taxes from increasing more than 3% annually.
    For now you mean.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  6. #1456
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Adam T already tried that. A tax credit doesn't mean crap to anyone who can't afford it in the first place.
    Anyone earning less than 133% of the poverty line will be eligible for free Medicaid. Anyone earning between 133-400% of the poverty line will be eligible for subsidies. So yes, there might be a handful of people who still won't be able to afford it even with the subsidies. But there won't be very many of them, and they'll at least have financial hardship exemptions available so they don't have to buy it. The point of the individual mandate is to dissuade people who CAN afford health insurance but CHOOSE not to get it.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #1457
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    no need to post that I was right.. I already knew I was.

    and no , I was not "full of it" ...read my post again, I specifically said "both medicare surtaxes".... apology accepted in advance.
    The topic was not Medicare, therefore your answer was off topic and/or a red herring.

    That the taxes were 'on the rich' is another off topic red herring (general taxes were the discussion... Sheik's taxes IIRC). Yes, yes, you said they were on the rich, everyone can read.

    I did not say that you have failed to identify them as Medicare taxes (since it was plainly there for anyone to read, why would I?), meaning that in addition to all you other errors, you have now introduced a strawman.
    Last edited by Karl; 06-28-12 at 11:08 PM.

  8. #1458
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    The medical industry in about to get a raise. No longer will there be masses of people running to emergency rooms for every complaint and then stiffing the hospital on the bill. Now the hospitals will collect on those bills. If anything, this should lower costs; though in reality, almost nothing comes down in price, so I'm not expecting that.
    But I thought ensuring everyone had health insurance would reduce the cost for those who had insurance as their premiums cover the hospital nonpayments...was I misled?

  9. #1459
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Are you saying that the IPAB doesn't exist in the law?
    Seriously mac???

    Do I really have to post this again???

    Un****ingbelievable.

    Whatever. Hopefully, reading it a second time will clarify why your question is a sad pathetic strawman ...


    Palin revives 'death panels' claim ahead of Supreme Court decision

    "Though I was called a liar for calling it like it is, many of these accusers finally saw that Obamacare did in fact create a panel of faceless bureaucrats who have the power to make life and death decisions about health care funding," she wrote Monday.

    But Palin's initial comments make no mention of the IPAB. At the time, she referred to a proposal in the House's healthcare bill to have Medicare reimburse doctors for discussing end-of-life planning with their elderly patients.

    The House bill did not include the IPAB at all, and in the wake of Palin's remarks, end-of-life planning was axed from the Senate bill that Obama ultimately signed.


    Read the part in red a few times, just to be sure.

  10. #1460
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758]

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    One percent of 30k is 300 bucks. Arithmetic 101.

    Then I misread....The clue was that I said it sounded like....But either/or, think about it dana, a family making just north of $30K per year gross. That's a measly $587 per week, give or take...You might as well say the tax is $300K...They don't have it.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •