Page 108 of 194 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1937

Thread: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652, 758, 1205]

  1. #1071
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Correct. The survey asked them both whether they believed the law to be constitutional (19 of 21 did), and whether they thought that the Supreme Court would actually uphold it (only 8 of 21 did).
    19 of 21 said if prior precedent held, not that it was constitutional.


    anyway, my point was pretty obvious. Whether you want to argue this is a new power, it is a previously unused method of applying power, and I predict all ideologies will be unhappy with the direction this goes in the future.

  2. #1072
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Article 1, section 8: "Section. 8. The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises"

    Federalist papers where 1 or 2 guys opinion, not the law. Constitution = law.


    So should Obama lose the election for lying?
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  3. #1073
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    Remember? No Tango. Thanks
    Dude, it was answered.

    So tell me, how do you avoid paying for health insurance?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #1074
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652]

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    So should Obama lose the election for lying?
    SCOTUS chose to call it a tax, not Obama.

    its not really a tax, as taxes are not supposed to be punitive. SCOTUS has quite an imagination.

  5. #1075
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    Well I'm not paying the private sector from my pocket. Nor can the private sector tax me for bull**** programs and redudant govt agencies.
    They do charge you. But the claim was about effectiveness. As for redundancy, takes me to those calls to India and how many times I had to repeat the same thing, over, and over, and over, over . . . . I may go eight grade anyway.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #1076
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,350

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    I wonder if Chief Justice Roberts was intimidated by liberal threats to delegitimize the Supreme Court? That's the new meme.
    Or could he have heard the Conservatives call to not legislate from the bench? We'll never know, sigh.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 06-28-12 at 06:25 PM.

  7. #1077
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652]

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    Ok, you lost the debate on the issue entirely and now you just deflecting since you have no arguments.
    Can't lose a debate we're not having. There is nothing to debate hear. You're merely being hyperbolic. What you say exists doesn't. It is as simple as that. There is no theft.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #1078
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Wow, to both the raising of your premiums and that you have only been working since 99.

    For the last couple decades I've been self-employed - which means I pay for my own healhcare insurance. Every two to three years the premium would rise 10 to 20 dollars a month. But since Obamacare, every six months it has risen.
    Considering the main provisions of the ACA haven't even taken effect yet (and won't until 2014), I'd chalk it up to coincidence. If you have an individual policy, whether the ACA will cause your premiums to rise or fall depends on a variety of factors...your income, your age, your health, etc. If you are young, healthy, and at least middle-class, then it's true that you'll likely see your premiums rise...(although that will be balanced out as you get older and get a better deal). If you are older, or have any preexisting conditions, or struggle to pay your bills, then your premiums will almost certainly fall when the ACA takes effect in 2014.

    Self-employed people are actually one of the groups that should benefit the most from this, as it eliminates many of the worst abuses that exist in the individual insurance market.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #1079
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    They do charge you. But the claim was about effectiveness. As for redundancy, takes me to those calls to India and how many times I had to repeat the same thing, over, and over, and over, over . . . . I may go eight grade anyway.

    Of course they charge me for services I choose to purchase. The private sector, IMO, is heads above the govt.

  10. #1080
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SCOTUS LIVEBLOG - Obamacare Mandate Survives [W:125, 384, 635, 652]

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    SCOTUS chose to call it a tax, not Obama.

    its not really a tax, as taxes are not supposed to be punitive. SCOTUS has quite an imagination.
    See, I'm confused....why did the US attorney argue that the mandate was legal under the Congress' right to tax, then?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •