Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Teen Couple found dead in Texas Park

  1. #11
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Teen Couple found dead in Texas Park

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    Anti-gun? Is that the first thing you thought of?
    There are hundreds of murders in the U.S., yet THIS was chosen by MSNBC to "showcase". Why do YOU think it was chosen over the many others?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #12
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Teen Couple found dead in Texas Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Which one of those is a National news story, worthy of "Breaking News"?
    Which of those stories got "national" attention by MSNBC? Hmm...
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #13
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 04:46 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,873

    Re: Teen Couple found dead in Texas Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    What the hell is a "national news story"? You mean a story that gets printed out nationally? Pretty sure I posted 3 different murders of 3 couples discussed by a British national newspaper. Here is Reuters, FOX, the Mail, the Van Sun and ABC reporting on the murder of an elderly US couple in Mexico:

    U.S. missionary couple killed in Mexico | Reuters

    2 Texas missionaries murdered in north Mexico | Fox News

    John and Wanda Casias found dead: Baptist missionary couple from the U.S. found strangled in Mexican city plagued by drug violence | Mail Online

    Texas Missionaries Killed in Mexico Knew They Were in Danger, Church Friend Says - ABC News

    U.S. missionary couple killed in Mexico

    -----

    Would you say that makes an international news story? Well, first you have to define what a "national news story" is.
    For that story, I would say yes, that is a national news story. But its not breaking news.

  4. #14
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 04:46 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,873

    Re: Teen Couple found dead in Texas Park

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I hope that the surviving girl will be able to tell investigators what happened.

    I read about this two days ago, and here is how the story was first reported: Two girls found shot in a park. Girls Found Shot at Portland Park - KiiiTV3.com South Texas, Corpus Christi, Coastal Bend

    Now that Daily Kos, etc. have picked it up, the lead is "lesbian couple." This is an example of the news being "shaped."
    Also trending on CNN as "Girlfriends shot in Texas park".

  5. #15
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,485

    Re: Teen Couple found dead in Texas Park

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Other than the alleged sexual realtionship, what makes this newsworthy?
    It will usually take a combination of factors to make something like this national news. I've no doubt the lesbian angle was one of them, as would be the age and apparent innocence of the victims. The lack of a suspect (and thus possible man hunt), the nature of the shooting (suggesting the possibilities something more significant than a random attack) and the rarity of such crimes in the area are likely to have been influences too. There will also be an element of luck involved - maybe it was otherwise a quiet news day. If another murder was already on their list, this one could have easily slipped in to obscurity.

    There is no grand political conspiracy to which stories make the national news. It's basically whatever the people making the decision on a given day think will sell.

  6. #16
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Teen Couple found dead in Texas Park

    The story reported that police recovered a bullet casing from a large-caliber gun at the scene, but they haven’t found the weapon. This indicates a semi-auto pistol rather than a revolver. It also indicates that whoever shot them was an amateur. A professional killer would have recovered the empty case unless the killer is just leaving clues for the police.

    I think its awful the more newsworthy part of the story is that the girls were lesbians, even if this prompted the shootings. Who cares, the fact that they are people is what makes it tragic. Poor babies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  7. #17
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 04:46 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,873

    Re: Teen Couple found dead in Texas Park

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Also trending on CNN as "Girlfriends shot in Texas park".
    I find it rather interesting that CNN has now removed all references to girlfriends or lesbians in their article.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,866

    Re: Teen Couple found dead in Texas Park

    According to the police chief, there is no evidence that this was a "hate crime." Nevertheless, gay-rights groups have organized vigils, and there will be a candlelight walk in the park tomorrow. Never let a good crisis go to waste.

    Here is an update from the Houston Chronicle: Chief: No evidence lesbian killed in hate crime | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Teen Couple found dead in Texas Park

    I hope this wasn't a hate-crime against people just due to their sexuality.

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,866

    Re: Teen Couple found dead in Texas Park

    There is no evidence to suggest it was. I just posted this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •