Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 189

Thread: Jimmy Carter Accuses U.S. of 'Widespread Abuse of Human Rights'[W:110]

  1. #51
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    re: Jimmy Carter Accuses U.S. of 'Widespread Abuse of Human Rights'[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    OK....tell that to the people of Iran. The Shah was all about freedom.
    And you are thinking that the people of Iran have more freedom now than they did 40 years ago, are you?
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  2. #52
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    re: Jimmy Carter Accuses U.S. of 'Widespread Abuse of Human Rights'[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    Wow...

    We target SUSPECTED murderers...not always known ones. Sometimes we don't even kill the target but rather innocent people. Oh yeah, but we're "building freedom" with bombs. Total nonsense.
    I think it's safe to say that the US government does not target "suspected" terrorists for assassination. Can you name a single "suspected" terrorist who has been killed by these strikes? To my knowledge it's a pretty open/shut case as far as their involvement. Do they get it wrong sometimes and drop a bomb at the wrong time? Sure. These things do happen. Are they targeting dudes simply cause they wear turbans and speak English with funny accents? Nah dude.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #53
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    re: Jimmy Carter Accuses U.S. of 'Widespread Abuse of Human Rights'[W:110]

    I'm gonna wait a bit before I make the last call on the Carter auction, but it looks like he's gonna go to Hat for "mediocre". We'll see if a "better than average" bid comes in.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    re: Jimmy Carter Accuses U.S. of 'Widespread Abuse of Human Rights'[W:110]

    This is about Jimmy Carter f-f-f-f-fading away. Otherwise, his recommended plan is that we boycott the Olympic Games when next held in .... ummmm .... Iran.

  5. #55
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    re: Jimmy Carter Accuses U.S. of 'Widespread Abuse of Human Rights'[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I think it's safe to say that the US government does not target "suspected" terrorists for assassination. Can you name a single "suspected" terrorist who has been killed by these strikes? To my knowledge it's a pretty open/shut case as far as their involvement. Do they get it wrong sometimes and drop a bomb at the wrong time? Sure. These things do happen. Are they targeting dudes simply cause they wear turbans and speak English with funny accents? Nah dude.
    I never said they were doing that....Strong suspicion has led to attacks. The fact that "these things do happen" should be enough to drive the people to question this method. We're not at a state of declared war. We're dropping bombs over sovereign countries, and our government claims it makes us safer. It does nothing to make us safer when we incite hatred around the world.

    I could only imagine a child going to school in an Arab country and the parents having to worry whether or not bombs will be dropped today because a suspected terrorists is in a suspected safehouse along the way to school.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  6. #56
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Jimmy Carter Accuses U.S. of 'Widespread Abuse of Human Rights'[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Actually, I don't think that at all. However your straw man is silly and your contention that public/academic opinion polls aren't taken with real people is laughable at best.
    In a way, they aren't. Do you think the polling orgs just call random people from the phonebook (illegal in some states)? They build lists so that they can get a balance, be representative of a larger whole. But they rarely achieve it. The list ends up to be shut-ins and people who have such a large axe to grind that they want to participate. Working folks, and those busy with family and friends don't take kindly to pollsters calling.

    It's very difficult for the polling orgs to put together the lists they need for respondents to various polls.

  7. #57
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    re: Jimmy Carter Accuses U.S. of 'Widespread Abuse of Human Rights'[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    The fact that "these things do happen" should be enough to drive the people to question this method.
    It is, we do. We compare it to a multitude of options and figure which will cost the least lives and satisfy other considerations. You don't know this?



    Regarding Carter, the topic is always a laugh. Watch, he's gonna sell for 'mediocre'.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 06-26-12 at 12:19 PM.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    re: Jimmy Carter Accuses U.S. of 'Widespread Abuse of Human Rights'[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    I never said they were doing that....
    When you say they target "suspected" terrorists, that's what I get the feeling you're trying to say. As if there is doubt to their involvement - when really, there isn't. You don't drop a bomb on somebody simply because you think they're up to no good. You drop bombs on cities and then beat yourself over how many innocents who had nothing to do with politics died unnecessarily. You don't have targeted bombing simply based on suspicion of wrongdoing.

    Strong suspicion has led to attacks. The fact that "these things do happen" should be enough to drive the people to question this method. We're not at a state of declared war. We're dropping bombs over sovereign countries, and our government claims it makes us safer. It does nothing to make us safer when we incite hatred around the world.

    I could only imagine a child going to school in an Arab country and the parents having to worry whether or not bombs will be dropped today because a suspected terrorists is in a suspected safehouse along the way to school.
    Okay, that's NOT what happens. Whenever you return to the real world where the US isn't dropping bombs to the point where people in some "Arab country" need to worry about being bombed, you're more than welcome to discuss this topic. However as it stands the overwhelming majority of targeted US bombings haven't been done in civilian heavy areas. Sure. Iraq did get bombed by us and some did die, however it's not as if we're carpet bombing the ****ing place.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Last Seen
    08-02-17 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,375

    re: Jimmy Carter Accuses U.S. of 'Widespread Abuse of Human Rights'[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    In a way, they aren't. Do you think the polling orgs just call random people from the phonebook (illegal in some states)? They build lists so that they can get a balance, be representative of a larger whole. But they rarely achieve it. The list ends up to be shut-ins and people who have such a large axe to grind that they want to participate. Working folks, and those busy with family and friends don't take kindly to pollsters calling.

    It's very difficult for the polling orgs to put together the lists they need for respondents to various polls.
    exactly.... I have never been called, nor has anyone I have asked been called...

  10. #60
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    re: Jimmy Carter Accuses U.S. of 'Widespread Abuse of Human Rights'[W:110]

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
    exactly.... I have never been called, nor has anyone I have asked been called...
    You ever been eaten by a bear? I haven't been either. I guess we can safely conclude that polar bears don't exist then.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •