Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 593

Thread: The AZ Immigration Law Has Been Decided

  1. #521
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: The AZ Immigration Law Has Been Decided

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    If the Republican model for running a state worked better than the Democratic one, why are virtually all blue states head and shoulders above virtually all red states economically? Do you really think the policy of underinvesting in the foundations of society is going to work better for Alabama than it has for all the other states? Do you really think Alabama has been investing in the foundations all along?
    Clearly it is too soon to tell whether a Republican majority can turn this state around. I do see evidence of it. Already much of the Republican handshake with Alabama legislation has been passed. The most important was the illegal alien law. Once it was passed many, but not all, illegals left the state. Local stories estimate as many as 80,000 moved into Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee.

    And American citizens moved into jobs that had been done by illegals. One county, where many of the illegals were, has seen a drop to just above 5%.

    Unfortunately when you say investment I know you mean tax, borrow and spend. That may or may not work in the short run but it always leads to ruin in the long run. Maybe, just maybe, that is why California has just about the lowest employment rate in the nation, the middle class are fleeing and over a hundred major businesses have left the state.

    Businesses are coming here.

    Where I live, Huntsville, used to have the highest per capita number of masters degrees and PhDs in the nation until the one term Marxist single handedly demolished NASA and the defense industry. Now it seems the highest number of degrees are concentrated in WADC.

    If you want a problem solved send it to Huntsville. If you want to make it worse send it to Washington DC.
    Last edited by Misterveritis; 07-05-12 at 09:20 PM.

  2. #522
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: The AZ Immigration Law Has Been Decided

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Clearly it is too soon to tell whether a Republican majority can turn this state around. I do see evidence of it. Already much of the Republican handshake with Alabama legislation has been passed. The most important was the illegal alien law. Once it was passed many, but not all, illegals left the state. Local stories estimate as many as 80,000 moved into Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee.

    And American citizens moved into jobs that had been done by illegals. One county, where many of the illegals were, has seen a drop to just above 5%.

    Unfortunately when you say investment I know you mean tax, borrow and spend. That may or may not work in the short run but it always leads to ruin in the long run. Maybe, just maybe, that is why California has just about the lowest employment rate in the nation, the middle class are fleeing and over a hundred major businesses have left the state.

    Businesses are coming here.

    Where I live, Huntsville, used to have the highest per capita number of masters degrees and PhDs in the nation until the one term Marxist single handedly demolished NASA and the defense industry. Now it seems the highest number of degrees are concentrated in WADC.

    If you want a problem solved send it to Huntsville. If you want to make it worse send it to Washington DC.
    You talk as though the idea of underinvesting in the foundations of your society so that super rich people can have even lower taxes is some newfangled idea that has yet to be tried... That is how all the red states, including Alabama, have been running things for generations. That's why they're so far behind the rest of the country- duh, if you don't invest in keeping your society strong, your society doesn't turn out strong.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  3. #523
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The AZ Immigration Law Has Been Decided

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    You talk as though the idea of underinvesting in the foundations of your society so that super rich people can have even lower taxes is some newfangled idea that has yet to be tried... That is how all the red states, including Alabama, have been running things for generations. That's why they're so far behind the rest of the country- duh, if you don't invest in keeping your society strong, your society doesn't turn out strong.
    Define "strong" society. I'm from SC, moved to Fl for 6 years, then to CT, where I've been for the last 8 years or so. I would say that income disparity, over all poverty, crime, and any other measure is society you can think of, are far, far, FAR worse here than in SC or Fl combined.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #524
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: The AZ Immigration Law Has Been Decided

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Define "strong" society. I'm from SC, moved to Fl for 6 years, then to CT, where I've been for the last 8 years or so. I would say that income disparity, over all poverty, crime, and any other measure is society you can think of, are far, far, FAR worse here than in SC or Fl combined.
    Odd you perceive it that way. The percentage of people living below the poverty line in SC is more than twice as high as in CT. Florida is in the middle. The median income in CT is almost $25k higher. CT is actually the third richest state going by median income. And that's the median. If there were a really high rich/everybody else gap, the median would be low and the average high, but the median is high, which means the wealth is spread very broadly.

    So, somehow you're more aware of the poverty in CT than you were in SC. Could be the city you live in. One city to the next in either state can be a night and day difference. It could also be that CT presumably has more urban poverty, where SC most likely has more rural poverty. Rural poverty is less noticeable, and in some ways, less harsh. If a person lives out in the woods in a shack, at least they can grow food and raise animals and hunt and whatnot. And the cost of living is much lower in rural environments.

    But, to answer your question, by "strong", I mean a lot of things. Educated, healthy, has access to enough resources and opportunities to progress in life, leading economic booms and scientific innovations, etc. It certainly is not just about median income, although that plays a huge role in facilitating everything else. But, for example, 35% of people in CT have college degrees vs. 24% in SC. I would consider that a crucial measure of the strength of the societies in the two states.
    Last edited by teamosil; 07-05-12 at 10:10 PM.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  5. #525
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: The AZ Immigration Law Has Been Decided

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    You talk as though the idea of underinvesting in the foundations of your society so that super rich people can have even lower taxes is some newfangled idea that has yet to be tried... That is how all the red states, including Alabama, have been running things for generations. That's why they're so far behind the rest of the country- duh, if you don't invest in keeping your society strong, your society doesn't turn out strong.
    You really don't get it very often, do you?

    This state has been dominated by liberal democrats for more than one hundred years.

    But no longer. As is appropriate, the liberal democrats were tossed onto the ash heap of history.

    Now the experiment in representative democracy begins.

  6. #526
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: The AZ Immigration Law Has Been Decided

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    This state has been dominated by liberal democrats for more than one hundred years.
    That just doesn't pass the laugh test. 3 years ago, you are claiming Alabama was a liberal state? Seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Now the experiment in representative democracy begins.
    Again, it certainly is nothing new. Even if it were new for Alabama, which it isn't, look at all the other red states. They've failed. The difference in median income between blue states and red states is the same as the difference between the US and Greece... They're a disaster.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  7. #527
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: The AZ Immigration Law Has Been Decided

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    That just doesn't pass the laugh test. 3 years ago, you are claiming Alabama was a liberal state? Seriously?
    Have you heard of the Democratic party? They are liberals. Seriously. They can **** up a marble. And often do.
    Again, it certainly is nothing new. Even if it were new for Alabama, which it isn't, look at all the other red states. They've failed. The difference in median income between blue states and red states is the same as the difference between the US and Greece... They're a disaster.
    I see the opposite. The states run into the ground are the states run by liberals. Your chickens are coming home to roost, according to one black liberation pastor associates with a certain one term Marxist.

  8. #528
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: The AZ Immigration Law Has Been Decided

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Clearly it is too soon to tell whether a Republican majority can turn this state around.
    WTF are you talking about? Republicans have dominated Alabama politics on every level for more than 25 years!

    But you expected Obama to single-handedly turn the whole country around in three years!
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #529
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: The AZ Immigration Law Has Been Decided

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    ...The states run into the ground are the states run by liberals.....
    New York State, run by Liberals: balanced State budget.
    California, run by Conservatives who refuse to raise taxes: $14 billion State budget deficit.


  10. #530
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: The AZ Immigration Law Has Been Decided

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    WTF are you talking about? Republicans have dominated Alabama politics on every level for more than 25 years!
    You do not know what you are talking about. But then what else is new?

    But you expected Obama to single-handedly turn the whole country around in three years!
    Yeah. I had hoped and such. The only fundamental transformation we got was what the Marxists have written about for years. They call it social transformation, as in transformation from a capitalist, free-market system to a top down, centrally controlled, dictatorship of the Proles.

Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •