Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 236

Thread: Anti-racism ad campaign in Minnesota town called 'racist' by critics

  1. #151
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Anti-racism ad campaign in Minnesota town called 'racist' by critics

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It's that more malleable section that you want to reach and affect with teaching and advertising and as I've said...the methodology of this ad I think does more harm to the issue with that group then good.
    Definitely. The net effect of improper methodology is often counter-productive. When people use "offense tactics" they can often end up pushing the moderate, malleable people into the extreme opposition position simply by virtue of coming across like assholes to the moderate, malleable group because they were also offended.

    That's being said, sometimes a little offensiveness can be effective. That's why I am a fan of how comedians like Louis CK and Chris Rock have addressed the issue of white privilege with their "Being white is great" and "Colin Powell speaks so well" bits.

    Hell, when I heard Chris Rock do that Colin Powell bit I was like "Holy ****! I've actually said that nonsense before! I'm a ****ing douche." Granted, ever since I saw that bit I've said stuff like that to my black friends just to **** with them, but I'm a dick like that.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #152
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Anti-racism ad campaign in Minnesota town called 'racist' by critics

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    It doesn't matter that you know about other people's clubs or groups.

    There's no law that can make me socialize with people that I don't want to.
    Tyler Durden agrees.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #153
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Anti-racism ad campaign in Minnesota town called 'racist' by critics

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Definitely. The net effect of improper methodology is often counter-productive. When people use "offense tactics" they can often end up pushing the moderate, malleable people into the extreme opposition position simply by virtue of coming across like assholes to the moderate, malleable group because they were also offended.

    That's being said, sometimes a little offensiveness can be effective. That's why I am a fan of how comedians like Louis CK and Chris Rock have addressed the issue of white privilege with their "Being white is great" and "Colin Powell speaks so well" bits.

    Hell, when I heard Chris Rock do that Colin Powell bit I was like "Holy ****! I've actually said that nonsense before! I'm a ****ing douche." Granted, ever since I saw that bit I've said stuff like that to my black friends just to **** with them, but I'm a dick like that.
    Just so you guys know what he's talking about

    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #154
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Anti-racism ad campaign in Minnesota town called 'racist' by critics

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Just so you guys know what he's talking about

    Have I ever told you how articulate you are?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #155
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Anti-racism ad campaign in Minnesota town called 'racist' by critics

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What about it do you consider "racist"? It seems obviously and overtly anti-racist to me, no?
    It is racist because it suggests that all white people are somehow privileged simply because they are white. This is a bald-faced lie, and a racist one at that. How can you not see that?

    Do you really believe that an unemployed white person living on food stamps is somehow more "privileged" than an upper class black person, simply because he is white? How screwed up in the head do you have to be to think this way?
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  6. #156
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Anti-racism ad campaign in Minnesota town called 'racist' by critics

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    It is racist because it suggests that all white people are somehow privileged simply because they are white. This is a bald-faced lie, and a racist one at that. How can you not see that?

    Do you really believe that an unemployed white person living on food stamps is somehow more "privileged" than an upper class black person, simply because he is white? How screwed up in the head do you have to be to think this way?
    Yes I do. Privilege doesn't equate to success directly. It is more like opportunity. And whites, like myself, definitely have an advantage because of the color of their skin where blacks have a disadvantage. They have done an experiment where they send in white and black job applicants with the same resume to apply for the same job and the white applicant gets 2.4 times more interviews. They've done that exact experiment twice in different cities, run by different people, and they got almost exactly the same results. The applicants are meticulously selected to ensure that they have roughly the same IQ, the same accent, they dress the same, they have the same real life income, etc. All that differs is the color of their skin and it makes that enormous of a difference.

    So, by all means, there are many other factors that can advantage or disadvantage a person. A black person who is smart and born to rich, educated, parents, overall is going to have a lot more advantages than a white person who is less bright, born into poverty and with parents who are uneducated. But nonetheless, the colors of their skin makes a difference. It is one factor amongst many, but we should not pretend it doesn't exist just because it is kind of uncomfortable to talk about.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  7. #157
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Anti-racism ad campaign in Minnesota town called 'racist' by critics

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Yes I do. Privilege doesn't equate to success directly. It is more like opportunity. And whites, like myself, definitely have an advantage because of the color of their skin where blacks have a disadvantage.
    WRONG, DAMN WRONG!!!...

    Don't tell me that welfare class whites have any advantage over anyone, not even welfare class blacks. Not only are welfare class whites economically disadvantaged but they have no Affirmative Action status to provide them a leg up.

    They have done an experiment where they send in white and black job applicants with the same resume to apply for the same job and the white applicant gets 2.4 times more interviews. They've done that exact experiment twice in different cities, run by different people, and they got almost exactly the same results. The applicants are meticulously selected to ensure that they have roughly the same IQ, the same accent, they dress the same, they have the same real life income, etc. All that differs is the color of their skin and it makes that enormous of a difference.
    Gee, I wonder how Asians and Hispanics compared to Blacks in this experiment? Tell me, was this even tested?

    So, by all means, there are many other factors that can advantage or disadvantage a person. A black person who is smart and born to rich, educated, parents, overall is going to have a lot more advantages than a white person who is less bright, born into poverty and with parents who are uneducated.
    In other words, it is beyond cruel and abominably racist to suggest that a poor and not-so-bright white person has more advantages than a wealthy and intelligent black person, especially since the wealthy and intelligent black person is even more advantaged due to his Affirmative Action status. Isn't that right?

    But nonetheless, the colors of their skin makes a difference.
    Yes, it most certainly does.

    It is one factor amongst many, but we should not pretend it doesn't exist just because it is kind of uncomfortable to talk about.
    It is remarkable how you can be so right and yet so wrong, at the same time. Dude, whether you realize it or not, you are a profound racist. If you truly are white, you are exhibiting a definite reaction formation. I dare say that there is a klansman lingering somewhere inside you.
    Last edited by Sig; 06-26-12 at 10:00 PM.
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  8. #158
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Anti-racism ad campaign in Minnesota town called 'racist' by critics

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Gee, I wonder how Asians and Hispanics compared to Blacks in this experiment? Tell me, was this even tested?
    One of the two times they did it they did compare Hispanics. Hispanics got slightly more interviews than blacks, but not much more. Interestingly, white applicants whose resumes reported that they had just been released from serving an 18 month sentence for drug trafficking fared slightly better than blacks or hispanics with no criminal record.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    In other words, it is beyond cruel and abominably racist to suggest that a poor and not-so-bright white person has more advantages than a wealthy and intelligent black person, especially since the wealthy and intelligent black person is even more advantaged due to his Affirmative Action status. Isn't that right?
    It doesn't seem like you're following. Being wealthy is an advantage. Having educated parents is an advantage. Being smart is an advantage. There are many advantages. One of those is being white. That gives you a boost. That doesn't mean that it automatically outweighs all the other factors.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  9. #159
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: Anti-racism ad campaign in Minnesota town called 'racist' by critics

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    One of the two times they did it they did compare Hispanics. Hispanics got slightly more interviews than blacks, but not much more. Interestingly, white applicants whose resumes reported that they had just been released from serving an 18 month sentence for drug trafficking fared slightly better than blacks or hispanics with no criminal record.
    And what else was on those resumes? A white person with a felony drug conviction and an MBA from Harvard might be expected to fare better at a job interview than a black or hispanic with no criminal record and no high school diploma.

    I do not doubt that being white has its advantages in certain contexts. However, it also has its disadvantages in certain contexts. I wonder how a white person may fare at job interview where the employer is specifically looking to hire a minority in order to comply EEO regulations?

    It doesn't seem like you're following. Being wealthy is an advantage. Having educated parents is an advantage. Being smart is an advantage. There are many advantages. One of those is being white. That gives you a boost. That doesn't mean that it automatically outweighs all the other factors.
    Actually, it seems as though it is you who are not following. Being white can give you a boost in certain contexts. It can pull the plug on you in other contexts. Yes, this is reality.

    ...and to suggest that being white is always an advantage is just plain wrong and racist, as you are in this context.
    It's like you're dreaming of Gorgonzola when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

  10. #160
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Anti-racism ad campaign in Minnesota town called 'racist' by critics

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    And what else was on those resumes?
    They are otherwise identical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    I do not doubt that being white has its advantages in certain contexts. However, it also has its disadvantages in certain contexts. I wonder how a white person may fare at job interview where the employer is specifically looking to hire a minority in order to comply EEO regulations?
    That's true, but on balance, overall, even with all that in place, being white gives somebody a 2.4 to 1 advantage over being black.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •