Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64

Thread: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street excess

  1. #41
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Lets start with who is/should be proposing what.
    It started in the UK in Feb of 2010

    An actor (fairly wealthy I might add) and a musician (perhaps less, depending on how their contract was created...and say...I wonder if they have any investments...)
    Well these "famous people" have become the spokesmen of the tax.

    have precisely the same role in 'proposals' as Babs in the White House.
    Really?


  2. #42
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Well, they got THIS part wrong...why should I think they have anything right?
    Wall Street didnt create the economic crisis!?
    Who did then!?


  3. #43
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    So the point is a <1% tax on wall street is so terrible?
    It has the power to raise hundreds of billions of dollars that can go to our infanstructure, social programs, and to help fix the debt. Instead we are too worried about "what makes you have the right to take money from these people"? Well guess what!? THEY TOOK MONEY FROM US (THE PEOPLE)!


  4. #44
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street excess | The Raw Story
    Video @: Introducing the Robin Hood Tax - YouTube

    I can get behind this idea. Seems like some common sense stuff...

    Thoughts?
    Comments?
    Response? [/FONT][/COLOR]
    It's actually been proposed in the past as a way to eliminate problems caused by microtransactions.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #45
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,746

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    It started in the UK in Feb of 2010


    Well these "famous people" have become the spokesmen of the tax.


    Really?
    Yes...'really'. And yes...by all means...let the rich Hollywood types promote whatever anti Wall Street hysteria they choose. And when a congressman actually proposes the legislation then we have a debate on our hands. Curious though that he still attacks Wall Street and isnt offering said tax on...say...movies, popcorn, actors, and recording artists transactions.

  6. #46
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Yes...'really'. And yes...by all means...let the rich Hollywood types promote whatever anti Wall Street hysteria they choose. And when a congressman actually proposes the legislation then we have a debate on our hands. Curious though that he still attacks Wall Street and isnt offering said tax on...say...movies, popcorn, actors, and recording artists transactions.
    Were having a debate on our hand right know Vance...


  7. #47
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,706

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Wall Street didnt create the economic crisis!?
    Who did then!?
    Primarily, the congress did. They changed the mortgage lending and insurance laws to try to increase private home ownership, creating the "sub-prime" mortgage mess. The bankers, and by extension the morgage backed security dirivatives market, was flooded with this worthless paper (mortgages that were backed by property worth less than the mortgage balance and either unoccupied or occupied by people now unable to pay the INCREASED payments due). When these "troubled assets" were held by many, many financial institutions the gov't tried, via the TARP bailouts, to prop these financial folks up to prevent a global financial panic. The alternative, letting those left holding them AND the gov't backed mortgage insurance giants of Fannie and Freddie totally collapse, was seen as even worse.

    Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_mortgage_crisis
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 06-21-12 at 03:22 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #48
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Primarily, the congress did. They changed the mortgage lending and insurance laws to try to increase private home ownership, creating the "sub-prime" mortgage mess. The bankers, and by extension the morgage backed security dirivatives market, was flooded with this worthless paper (mortgages that were backed by property worth less than the mortgage balance and either unoccupied or occupied by people now unable to pay the INCREASED payments due). When these "troubled assets" were held by many, many financial institutions the gov't tried, via the TARP bailouts, to prop these financial folks up to prevent a global financial panic. The alternative, letting those left holding them AND the gov't backed mortgage insurance giants of Fannie and Freddie totally collapse, was seen as even worse.

    Link: Subprime mortgage crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Congress indeed had a lot to play on this. But it was more through relaxation of proper regulation and allowing banks to leverage through the roof. Which they did. And that's fine, you can make a **** ton o' money doing so; but if the system starts to falter while you're leveraged high, you're gonna lose your shirt. And indeed that's what happened. Then you look at the mess on Wall Street and the improper regulations there and it all snowballed.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #49
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 12:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,888

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    So the point is a <1% tax on wall street is so terrible?
    It has the power to raise hundreds of billions of dollars that can go to our infanstructure, social programs, and to help fix the debt. Instead we are too worried about "what makes you have the right to take money from these people"? Well guess what!? THEY TOOK MONEY FROM US (THE PEOPLE)!
    Doubtful. It would do nothing more than restrict the flow of money between financial institutions, until someone comes up with the workaround.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,903

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Wall Street didnt create the economic crisis!?
    Who did then!?
    If you haven't read ttwtt78640's answer, then I suggest you do. He hit the nail on the head.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •