Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 64

Thread: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street excess

  1. #11
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    “This is a tax on Wall Street, which created the greatest economic crisis in our nation and globally since the Great Depression,” a statement said on the movement’s website.
    Well, they got THIS part wrong...why should I think they have anything right?
    Last edited by Mycroft; 06-21-12 at 02:01 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  2. #12
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Lets start with who is/should be proposing what. An actor (fairly wealthy I might add) and a musician (perhaps less, depending on how their contract was created...and say...I wonder if they have any investments...) have precisely the same role in 'proposals' as Babs in the White House. Now...should they get democrats to buy in...awesome...now we actually have something to 'debate'.

    Perhaps the opposition comes from the continued mindset that the answer to the worlds ills is ALWAYS take from someone else. What precisely makes these people...or you for that matter...think you have or SHOULD have the right to impose more taxes on other peoples wealth? Now...dont get me worng...I believe there HAS to be an increase in taxes and that means the wealthy are going to have to pay more...not because it is the right thing to do or 'fair', but rather purely out of survival. But the beginning with liberals ALWAYS starets with raise taxes and that is why we are so continually screwed. You have to start with mandated cuts, spending decreases, a legislated plan to pay down the debt, and turning over social services to states. THEN and only then you legislate and sundown tax increases that by mandate expire in...say...10 years.

    Why dont we take proposals like this seriously? Because Congress...both house and senate and both parties (you know...the guys who are actually supposed to be doing this) cant so much as agree on DEFICIT (not debt) decreases over a 10 year span. And you think it is a good idea to give them MORE taxes.
    Vance, it is the idea, not where it came from that should be considered. If it is a viable idea it's origin shouldn't matter.

    Though your argument is understandable and at some levels desirable the argument doesn't work when we turn it around. Who have Wall Street and the banks and insurance companies taken from? We bailed them out. We bailed out car manufacturers, we bailed out airlines, we contributed to the bailout of foreign banks and foreign governments. When I saw "we" I mean the people. It was our money that was taken and given to Wall Street. It is our money that is going to subsidize big oil, big pharma, and farming. There is no way around those facts. It is taken from the people and given to Wall Street and corporate America who make huge profits. When they fail our money is taken again to pay off their gambling debts. Have you received any of that money back?

    I am a fortunate man. I have been able to fare the hits pretty well. I'd venture to say most people are not as fortunate these days. They need the money back in their neighborhoods, in their schools, in their local infrastructure, in jobs and finally, in their hands.

    The proposal is actually pretty fair and it returns the people's money back that was given by corpgov to itself. There are no guarantees that Wall Street won't go bug feck again and play loose and free knowing that the people will have to bail them out. Look at JP Morgan recently. Dimon's response? "Oops, sorry." The proposed tax will share the windfall gained with our money. How is that wrong?

    We certainly agree on the fact that government cannot be trusted to return the money from whence it came. Neither ruling party should be trusted. We know that. That's something that must be addressed. In the meantime, it is an excellent idea that Wall Street - figuratively speaking - share their ill-gotten wealth with people who covered their beats. Hopefully it may dampen their greed just a tad. There's nothing wrong with that either.

  3. #13
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    497

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Why just pick on Wall Street transactions. Lets expand to include the entertainment industry. Anyone making over $250,00 a year would pay the 50c per $100 earned. Isn't paying an some actors over $750,000 per episode excessive? Lets also include sports. Is it really fair someone can earn millions of dollars a year playing a game? They also should pay more.
    Skimming through, I originally read that as saying "take 50c of every dollar earned over $250k," and thought it was a wonderful idea.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,864

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Vance, it is the idea, not where it came from that should be considered. If it is a viable idea it's origin shouldn't matter.

    Though your argument is understandable and at some levels desirable the argument doesn't work when we turn it around. Who have Wall Street and the banks and insurance companies taken from? We bailed them out. We bailed out car manufacturers, we bailed out airlines, we contributed to the bailout of foreign banks and foreign governments. When I saw "we" I mean the people. It was our money that was taken and given to Wall Street. It is our money that is going to subsidize big oil, big pharma, and farming. There is no way around those facts. It is taken from the people and given to Wall Street and corporate America who make huge profits. When they fail our money is taken again to pay off their gambling debts. Have you received any of that money back?

    I am a fortunate man. I have been able to fare the hits pretty well. I'd venture to say most people are not as fortunate these days. They need the money back in their neighborhoods, in their schools, in their local infrastructure, in jobs and finally, in their hands.

    The proposal is actually pretty fair and it returns the people's money back that was given by corpgov to itself. There are no guarantees that Wall Street won't go bug feck again and play loose and free knowing that the people will have to bail them out. Look at JP Morgan recently. Dimon's response? "Oops, sorry." The proposed tax will share the windfall gained with our money. How is that wrong?

    We certainly agree on the fact that government cannot be trusted to return the money from whence it came. Neither ruling party should be trusted. We know that. That's something that must be addressed. In the meantime, it is an excellent idea that Wall Street - figuratively speaking - share their ill-gotten wealth with people who covered their beats. Hopefully it may dampen their greed just a tad. There's nothing wrong with that either.
    Some good points in your post...but fundamentally flawed.

    It's already been stated in this thread, but the problem is not that Wall Street (or any other industry) is getting too much money from the government. Rather, it's the government giving too much money to them. Stop the government from giving and the rest of the issue is moot.

    Taking more money out of the economy and giving it to the government to spend is a foolish exercise.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  5. #15
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Vance, it is the idea, not where it came from that should be considered. If it is a viable idea it's origin shouldn't matter.

    Though your argument is understandable and at some levels desirable the argument doesn't work when we turn it around. Who have Wall Street and the banks and insurance companies taken from? We bailed them out. We bailed out car manufacturers, we bailed out airlines, we contributed to the bailout of foreign banks and foreign governments. When I saw "we" I mean the people. It was our money that was taken and given to Wall Street. It is our money that is going to subsidize big oil, big pharma, and farming. There is no way around those facts. It is taken from the people and given to Wall Street and corporate America who make huge profits. When they fail our money is taken again to pay off their gambling debts. Have you received any of that money back?

    I am a fortunate man. I have been able to fare the hits pretty well. I'd venture to say most people are not as fortunate these days. They need the money back in their neighborhoods, in their schools, in their local infrastructure, in jobs and finally, in their hands.

    The proposal is actually pretty fair and it returns the people's money back that was given by corpgov to itself. There are no guarantees that Wall Street won't go bug feck again and play loose and free knowing that the people will have to bail them out. Look at JP Morgan recently. Dimon's response? "Oops, sorry." The proposed tax will share the windfall gained with our money. How is that wrong?

    We certainly agree on the fact that government cannot be trusted to return the money from whence it came. Neither ruling party should be trusted. We know that. That's something that must be addressed. In the meantime, it is an excellent idea that Wall Street - figuratively speaking - share their ill-gotten wealth with people who covered their beats. Hopefully it may dampen their greed just a tad. There's nothing wrong with that either.
    At the end of the day...Wall Street is a BUSINESS. It is a business designed to make profit. Wealthy people invest. Low to mid income people invest. This continued insistence on demonizing Wall Street and scapegoating them is mindless. Why Wall Street? Why not EVERY business with sales of products over $100? You know the answer...but I dont know if you will admit. The continued attack is on Wall Street because they are an easy target...because all the mindless people can wander around like zombies or pod offspring from the Invasion of the Body Snatchers and can point and gasp. Why Wall Street? Because they are successful.

    Why doesnt our Hollywood actor propose a tax on every movie ticket sold...every item sold at a theater? Talk about your luxury products that serve absolutely NO purpose other than to make one elite set of people very wealthy... Or every CD download, concert ticket sale, T-shirt or other merchandising items?

    Hypocrisy abounds. Why Wall Street and not Hollywood?

    And for the love of all things...when will people finally insist that DC change its game before they raise another dime in taxes? Giving crack addicts more rocks and expecting them not to light em up is just silly. Giving congress more money and expecting them to suddenly become responsible is more so. But then...those calling for taxes dont WANT congress to be more responsible...they want them to spend more money. On them. Huh. Maybe THATS why the attacks on Wall Street are such an easy sell...ya think?

  6. #16
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Why does no one talk about the surplus we had at the beginning of 2001, and what steps got us to that surplus? Our debt would be gone right now had Bush just stuck to the plan. Yeah, I know, that whole sept 11th thing happened, but really.... 11.5 trillion dollars later, and then the financial crisis..
    Last edited by OnWisconsin; 06-21-12 at 08:08 AM.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  7. #17
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,457
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    At the end of the day...Wall Street is a BUSINESS. It is a business designed to make profit. Wealthy people invest. Low to mid income people invest. This continued insistence on demonizing Wall Street and scapegoating them is mindless. Why Wall Street?
    Why? I'll tell you why, and it has nothing wrong with being a business. It has everything to do with being a corrupt business. Seems to me you are not fully aware of what happened a few years ago, but no worries. You can watch this excellent piece to get all of the facts. It will take 4 hours out of your life, but it's well worth it:

    Money, Power and Wall Street | FRONTLINE | PBS


    The continued attack is on Wall Street because they are an easy target...because all the mindless people can wander around like zombies or pod offspring from the Invasion of the Body Snatchers and can point and gasp. Why Wall Street? Because they are successful.
    You have to be seriously kidding!

    Why doesnt our Hollywood actor propose a tax on every movie ticket sold...every item sold at a theater? Talk about your luxury products that serve absolutely NO purpose other than to make one elite set of people very wealthy... Or every CD download, concert ticket sale, T-shirt or other merchandising items?
    While I do admit that some of that irks me, they haven't robbed me of my pension plan.



    And for the love of all things...when will people finally insist that DC change its game before they raise another dime in taxes? Giving crack addicts more rocks and expecting them not to light em up is just silly. Giving congress more money and expecting them to suddenly become responsible is more so. But then...those calling for taxes dont WANT congress to be more responsible...they want them to spend more money. On them. Huh. Maybe THATS why the attacks on Wall Street are such an easy sell...ya think?
    Watch the doc.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  8. #18
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You 'got' precisely jack and ****. And nothing else. Who did you vote for? Who will you be voting for? Who will the Unions that support these morons be voting for? Who was the biggest recipient of banker broker cash in 2008? How much of his personal money does Obama have tied up in those investment accounts...or all those other rich democrats (politicians, entertainers, etc) that reaaaallly reaaaallly really gosh wish the government took more darnitall. 99% of the 99% ers dont even know what the **** they are protesting, let alone what they stand for.
    I voted for Obama and I think I am going to vote for Obama again - though I'll have to watch the debates.

    I must say, I do agree with some of that, VanceMack. While I do think many of the rich are willing to pay more tax (by that I mean have loopholes closed on them and a more flat rate), I do think you are correct that many of the 99%ers have no idea what they are protesting. Many of them say bust up the banks... why? How does busting up any business help?

    That's not related to this thread and you aren't debating one of those people. Try again.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  9. #19
    Advisor jpevans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-17-12 @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    338

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc


    So your for raising Taxes on the wealthy? Right on, Bro/Sis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    They need to make one of these laws for the excess pay of Hollywood actors and musicians

    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

  10. #20
    Advisor jpevans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-17-12 @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    338

    Re: Mark Ruffalo and Tom Morello launch Robin Hood tax plan to outlaw Wall Street exc


    The Government (R's) has laid off thousands of workers, that there still collecting unemployment just shows a certian lack of understanding by the T's & R's.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Lets start with who is/should be proposing what. An actor (fairly wealthy I might add) and a musician (perhaps less, depending on how their contract was created...and say...I wonder if they have any investments...) have precisely the same role in 'proposals' as Babs in the White House. Now...should they get democrats to buy in...awesome...now we actually have something to 'debate'.

    Perhaps the opposition comes from the continued mindset that the answer to the worlds ills is ALWAYS take from someone else. What precisely makes these people...or you for that matter...think you have or SHOULD have the right to impose more taxes on other peoples wealth? Now...dont get me worng...I believe there HAS to be an increase in taxes and that means the wealthy are going to have to pay more...not because it is the right thing to do or 'fair', but rather purely out of survival. But the beginning with liberals ALWAYS starets with raise taxes and that is why we are so continually screwed. You have to start with mandated cuts, spending decreases, a legislated plan to pay down the debt, and turning over social services to states. THEN and only then you legislate and sundown tax increases that by mandate expire in...say...10 years.

    Why dont we take proposals like this seriously? Because Congress...both house and senate and both parties (you know...the guys who are actually supposed to be doing this) cant so much as agree on DEFICIT (not debt) decreases over a 10 year span. And you think it is a good idea to give them MORE taxes.

    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •