Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 714

Thread: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over F&F doc [W:116/226]

  1. #631
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, that would be you. YOU are guessing that those documents contain nothing implicating the admin in this operation or any coverup. Me? I'm not guessing one way or the other. To be fair, I am suspicious, but only because of the obstruction. Obstruction makes me suspicious. As I said, I'm not guessing, I'm asserting it's his job to investigate for possible government wrongdoing. Whether he finds it or not, the investigation should still be done - and not obstructed.



    And how do you know that? Just guessing are you?
    We are both guessing. You are guessing that Issa's requests aren't wildly overbroad and you're guessing that his motive is to get to the bottom of this and not to simply dog Obama at every conceivable opportunity.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #632
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No, it isn't his job to do many investigations. It's his job to do AS MANY investigations as the facts warrant. It isn't his job to establish a permanent war court designed to trip up the president by mucking around in every conceivable decision. Unless it is a republican in office, and a democrat sits at the chair position.
    I added that Adam only to highlight the truth of the matter when it comes to your thought here.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #633
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    We are both guessing. You are guessing that Issa's requests aren't wildly overbroad and you're guessing that his motive is to get to the bottom of this and not to simply dog Obama at every conceivable opportunity.
    The difference is my so-called guesses are based in the fact that he is the Chairman of Congressional Oversight and Government Reform and that is the job of the chair of the COGR. Yours? On your bias alone.

    Btw, if you want, you can read about it here.

    Oversight Committee Mission Statement
    We exist to secure two fundamental principles. First, Americans have a right to know that the money Washington takes from them is well spent. And second, Americans deserve an efficient, effective government that works for them. Our duty on the Oversight and Government Reform Committee is to protect these rights.

    Our solemn responsibility is to hold government accountable to taxpayers, because taxpayers have a right to know what they get from their government. We will work tirelessly, in partnership with citizen-watchdogs, to deliver the facts to the American people and bring genuine reform to the federal bureaucracy.

    This is the mission of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

    Welcome
    Welcome, and thank you for visiting the Web site of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. We hope you will find the information here useful, interesting and easily accessible.

    The Committee on Oversight and Government Reform has legislative jurisdiction over the District of Columbia, the government procurement process, federal personnel systems, the Postal Service and other matters. Our primary responsibility, however, is oversight of virtually everything government does – from national security to homeland security grants, from federal workforce policies to regulatory reform and reorganization authority, from information technology procurements at individual agencies to government-wide data security standards.

    As the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, we will work with our colleagues in the minority to exercise effective oversight over the federal government and will work proactively to investigate and expose waste, fraud, and abuse.
    Last edited by clownboy; 06-26-12 at 06:30 PM.

  4. #634
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    We are both guessing. You are guessing that Issa's requests aren't wildly overbroad and you're guessing that his motive is to get to the bottom of this and not to simply dog Obama at every conceivable opportunity.

    Awwww poor wittle Obama...He's just being picked on by the nasty ol republicans....

    give me a break, Obama and his corrupt band of thug criminals is a feather step away from declaring a dictatorship, and ripping up the Constitution on national TV in a primetime gala of progressive whirl.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #635
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    The difference is my so-called guesses are based in the fact that he is the Chairman of Congressional Oversight and Government Reform and that is the job of the chair of the COGR. Yours? On your bias alone.
    Right, and Holder is the U.S. Attorney General -- the top law enforcement official in the country. His job is to enforce the laws of the United States. But due to your bias you assume than that this committee chair, who has already demonstrated that he's hell-bent on pinning something on Obama, is the more credible character.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  6. #636
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right, and Holder is the U.S. Attorney General -- the top law enforcement official in the country. His job is to enforce the laws of the United States. But due to your bias you assume than that this committee chair, who has already demonstrated that he's hell-bent on pinning something on Obama, is the more credible character.
    Than the guy who let FALN terrorists go so that Hillary could get a Senate seat? Hell Yeah!


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #637
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right, and Holder is the U.S. Attorney General -- the top law enforcement official in the country. His job is to enforce the laws of the United States. But due to your bias you assume than that this committee chair, who has already demonstrated that he's hell-bent on pinning something on Obama, is the more credible character.
    Well I do think Holder's credibility is lacking, but not solely because of this issue. But that has nothing to do with my arguments here other than his obstruction in this investigation has been informative. You're switching goal posts again. Your intial assertion was that it's not the job of the committee to investigate possible wrongdoing in the agencies of government and that this matter should not be investigated.

  8. #638
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Nobody is saying a hand picked independent counsel that I have seen, actually that would be a contradiction in terms. What IS needed is an independent counsel that can look at the facts at hand and decide whether prosecution is warranted or not. You have to admit Cap that the administration is engaging in awfully fishy behavior. As many have pointed out, myself included, we want the same standard that we would be held to applied for this federal action. I may not knowingly supply any type of weapon for commission or possible commission of a crime nor may I transfer in any way to someone who is a known criminal under federal law. This is exactly what has been done under the F&F program and for suspect reasons, it is only proper that someone be held fully accountable.

    Simply someone who will uphold the law.


    Not possible, but someone with integrity not affiliated with the DOJ would be a great start.
    You are better than the ad homs CA, much better.
    It's fishy because they tell us it's fishy. Hell, Washinton is fishy. Politics in general, IMO, is contrived of scandal and charletons. The thing is, I feel like I am stuck in a scene on the movie Groundhog Day. I have seen these "fishy" stunts pulled by reichwingers when the tree huggers go nuts, as the reichwingers defend the percieved attrocity. And now I see the reichwingers going nuts over something "fishy" they would have more than tolerated if the pres had an "R" by his name and wasn't that socialist. muslim, foreign "Hussein Obama." Meanwhile, the treehugers go nuts defending Obama.

    People aren't that much different no matter how much they would like to think they are. These days, you got your bloods and crips and you got your Republicans and Democrats. To me, they are all scumbags regardless of whether their bandana is red or blue.

    This is nothing but an election year, political bull****. We have seen this before. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. Your GOP leaders, and Democrats as well, are akin to the Rev. Jim Jones. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. Unless you like getting played.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #639
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    It's fishy because they tell us it's fishy. Hell, Washinton is fishy. Politics in general, IMO, is contrived of scandal and charletons. The thing is, I feel like I am stuck in a scene on the movie Groundhog Day. I have seen these "fishy" stunts pulled by reichwingers when the tree huggers go nuts, as the reichwingers defend the percieved attrocity. And now I see the reichwingers going nuts over something "fishy" they would have more than tolerated if the pres had an "R" by his name and wasn't that socialist. muslim, foreign "Hussein Obama." Meanwhile, the treehugers go nuts defending Obama.

    People aren't that much different no matter how much they would like to think they are. These days, you got your bloods and crips and you got your Republicans and Democrats. To me, they are all scumbags regardless of whether their bandana is red or blue.

    This is nothing but an election year, political bull****. We have seen this before. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. Your GOP leaders, and Democrats as well, are akin to the Rev. Jim Jones. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. Unless you like getting played.

    Me thinks you should take your own advice, noting on the bolded name calling, equating the political right as Nazi like is despicable, and you can shove that **** right up your ass.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #640
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    It's fishy because they tell us it's fishy. Hell, Washinton is fishy. Politics in general, IMO, is contrived of scandal and charletons. The thing is, I feel like I am stuck in a scene on the movie Groundhog Day. I have seen these "fishy" stunts pulled by reichwingers when the tree huggers go nuts, as the reichwingers defend the percieved attrocity. And now I see the reichwingers going nuts over something "fishy" they would have more than tolerated if the pres had an "R" by his name and wasn't that socialist. muslim, foreign "Hussein Obama." Meanwhile, the treehugers go nuts defending Obama.
    This has nothing to do with party affiliation. Sure, there have been partisan witch hunts, from both parties and under every administration since the late 1800s, this isn't a witch hunt. The fact is that a bungled operation caused multiple deaths, and the partisans from the side it came from are saying "no big deal, it's a Repulbican witch hunt". Sorry, I call bull**** on that, if any one of us did this we'd never see the free side of a prison gate in our natural lives, nor should we. The F&F scandal facilitated criminal access to weapons, was done without the prior knowledge of another country(something we would consider an act of war), involved multiple violations of federal law, and is now being obfuscated by the people in question. There are fishy situations, then there are scandals, then there are major violations, this fits the first and last.

    People aren't that much different no matter how much they would like to think they are. These days, you got your bloods and crips and you got your Republicans and Democrats. To me, they are all scumbags regardless of whether their bandana is red or blue.
    I agree here. Where the problem comes is that the ones in suits have the idea that we work for them, and now they won't even give us the basic courtesy of holding their own accountable, the worst part is that some citizens are fine with that because it fits their party line. With all the trumped up stuff over the years this is a pretty solid case on it's surface, at some time these politicians and their subordinates must be held accountable, this is more than an appropriate start.

    This is nothing but an election year, political bull****. We have seen this before. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. Your GOP leaders, and Democrats as well, are akin to the Rev. Jim Jones. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. Unless you like getting played.
    I disagree, this issue started with the leaks at my earliest memory as of last year, when all the spiel about "our guns" endangering Mexican citizens came up, that was as blatant an anti-second move as I've seen in years. Then the trail comes out and we find out it was a DOJ move that allowed those questionable weapons to get directly into criminal hands, this isn't politics as usual, this is a criminal investigation and necessary. As I have stated, something we would face felony charges for, the issuers of said policy are now claiming exemption from.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •