Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 714

Thread: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over F&F doc [W:116/226]

  1. #571
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, the President can invoke EP in furtherance of a cover up of a crime?
    So, the Presidential invocation of EP is proof of a crime?

  2. #572
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,008

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Where there is smoke. There's a fire. Unless someone is leading you into an ambush maybe.

    Executive priv. when it comes to this matter = craploads of smoke. And I dont think this a a resource depleting tactic on Obama's political opponents.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  3. #573
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    So, the Presidential invocation of EP is proof of a crime?
    No, it is the attempt to shield the truth from being found....Please...Don't get silly.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #574
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The argument, of course, is that producing the genormous number of documents that Issa has requested would jeopardize many ongoing Justice Department investigations, and violote executive privilege.

    Did you attack attack Bush and his AG when they asserted executive privilege in connection with the DA scandal?
    When Bush and his AG asserted executive privilege in the DA scandal, I recall liberals screaming about it. I’m sure you were one of them as well. How many people died as a result of that Bush so called scandal ?? But I am glad to see you are finally admitting that Bush did nothing wrong by asserting executive privilege in that case

  5. #575
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    When Bush and his AG asserted executive privilege in the DA scandal, I recall liberals screaming about it. I’m sure you were one of them as well. How many people died as a result of that Bush so called scandal ?? But I am glad to see you are finally admitting that Bush did nothing wrong by asserting executive privilege in that case
    The difference is that Holder has been cooperating. He has testified before Congress close to a dozen times and turned over 8000 pages of documents. In contrast, the witnesses in the DA case flat-out refused to testify AT ALL.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  6. #576
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Well of course he does. It doesn't mean anything, however. He has no evidence (he's said so).

    It's said that Santa Claus lives at the North Pole. Are we to take that seriously as well?

    Furthermore, your source is perpetrating a lie:

    Many of the documents that Issa has narrowly focused his request on center on the period of time after Feb. 4, 2011, when the Justice Department sent Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) a false letter claiming it did everything in its power not to let guns “walk” across the U.S.-Mexico border.
    The actual text of the real letter (WTF is a "false Letter" anyway?):

    Clearly it denies gunwalking outright, then goes on to say that ATF -- not DOJ -- does everything in its power not to let guns be transported into Mexico. TheHill's use of the term "walk" implies intent, which is clearly not present in the letter they describe. Clearly, TheHill is lying.

    As to the outright denial of gunwalking, that merely shows that as of 2/11, DOJ DC didn't know what ATF AZ was up to, putting yet another hole in the right wing conspiracy theory boat. As usual, logic and facts are the enemy of the right.

  7. #577
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,724

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    The difference is that Holder has been cooperating. He has testified before Congress close to a dozen times and turned over 8000 pages of documents. In contrast, the witnesses in the DA case flat-out refused to testify AT ALL.
    Yes because those attorneys are purely political positions. The President needs no approval and no oversight to relieve them of their positions. Congress has absolutely no say in the matter, they do not need oversight unless a crime is committed or covered up in the firing of the Attorneys, such was not the case.

    Holder has NOT been cooperating. He has forwarded about 1/8th of the documents requested of him and 1/10th of what he has turned over to his own investigator of the case within Justice. He wouldnt be in contempt proceedings if he were cooperating. You are practically trolling with that statement.


    EDIT: Karl playing his word twisting, parsing games again? Everytime you use the word clearly, I roll my eyes because you make every attempt to muddy the waters on this issue as much as possible.
    Last edited by OpportunityCost; 06-26-12 at 12:24 PM.

  8. #578
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, the President can invoke EP in furtherance of a cover up of a crime?
    So, the Presidential invocation of EP is proof of a crime?
    No, it is the attempt to shield the truth from being found....Please...Don't get silly.
    Well then, tell us the truth about that crime you claim is being covered up. What is the crime, and who committed it?

  9. #579
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Yes because those attorneys are purely political positions. The President needs no approval and no oversight to relieve them of their positions. Congress has absolutely no say in the matter, they do not need oversight unless a crime is committed or covered up in the firing of the Attorneys, such was not the case.
    Incorrect. The president cannot remove them if the purpose is to inject politics into criminal prosecutions.

    Holder has NOT been cooperating. He has forwarded about 1/8th of the documents requested of him and 1/10th of what he has turned over to his own investigator of the case within Justice. He wouldnt be in contempt proceedings if he were cooperating. You are practically trolling with that statement.
    You are absolutely trolling by ASSUMING as a matter of course that Issa is proceeding in good faith and Holder is not. It's funny how the conservatives are so focused in Holder that they don't even consider what a POS hack Issa is. Some interesting background:

    He became an Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) technician, trained to defuse bombs, having been inspired by a movie about such soldiers during World War II. He claimed his unit provided security for President Richard Nixon, sweeping stadiums for bombs prior to games in the 1971 World Series, and that he received the highest approval ratings during his service.[7] However, a 1998 investigation by the San Francisco Examiner found these claims were not true, since Nixon had not attended any of that year's World Series games. The investigation also discovered that Issa was actually transferred to a supply depot after he received an unsatisfactory evaluation. According to Issa, the Examiner reporter had misunderstood an anecdote he had related.[5] A fellow soldier, Jay Bergey, claimed that Issa stole his Dodge Charger in 1971, when they were serving together. The day after he confronted Issa, the car was found abandoned on a nearby expressway. Asked about this in 2011, Issa denied it and suggested it was possible that other soldiers stole the car or that Bergey, who he claims had a drinking problem, had abandoned it himself while intoxicated."[5]
    Since the day Obama was elected Issa has been on a one-man Jihad to try to pin SOMETHING on the president.

    After becoming Chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Issa has become a vocal advocate for investigations into the Obama administration, including the Troubled Assets Relief Program, the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission, corruption in Afghanistan, WikiLeaks, and the Food and Drug Administration, among other issues.[30] In 2010 he told the press that he wanted the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform to hold investigative hearings "seven hearings a week, times 40 weeks."
    This guy is out of control and should be removed from his chairmanship.
    Last edited by AdamT; 06-26-12 at 12:38 PM.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  10. #580
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Justice Dept says president has exerted executive privilege over Fast and Furious

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post

    The actual text of the real letter (WTF is a "false Letter" anyway?):
    They retracted the entire letter as inaccurate 10 months after the fact. That's why Issa wants the documents for that 10 month window, which would contain what the DOJ found out investigating F&F.

Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •