View Poll Results: Do you agree with NYs stop and frisk policy?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with the policy.

    2 20.00%
  • I agree in principal but the policy needs refinement.

    1 10.00%
  • I disagree with this policy.

    7 70.00%
  • potato

    0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy

    Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy
    Published: 18 June, 2012, 07:31



    Several thousand demonstrators have joined a silent march down New York City’s Fifth Avenue to show their defiance of NYPD’s controversial “stop-and-frisk” policy, which they say discriminates against the city’s black and Latino communities.

    ~snip~

    Bloomberg has defended the city’s policy, saying that it helped “take guns off the streets and save lives.”
    But the NYCLU states that during frisks in 2011, a weapon was found just 1.9 per cent of the time. According to The New York Times, even in overwhelmingly white neighborhoods, police stopped more blacks than whites.

    Stop-and-frisk is a political tool, victimizing one group of people so another group feels protected,” Benjamin Todd Jealous, the president of the NAACP, said as quoted by The New York Times. “[I]It’s humiliating hundreds of thousands of people.”
    See also:
    Stop-and-Frisk Statistics: The Root's Reader Survey

    Father





    **************
    It is wrong for NY to bend the rules and blur the line of what constitutes "suspicious" behavior. This law is unconstitutional and ineffective. Not only should it be taken down, but the law makers who penned it should loose their jobs and barred from serving a public office forever.

    Your thoughts are welcome.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-20-12 at 04:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy

    Bloomberg gets off on having his own private army. Taking a stand against this policy has to be one of those things that the left and right can rally around together. At least I would hope so.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy

    I've got no problem with it whatsoever. If you're in a public space, you open yourself up to being considered suspicious and checked for the good of the whole public.

  4. #4
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    See also:
    Stop-and-Frisk Statistics: The Root's Reader Survey

    Father





    **************
    It is wrong for NY to bend the rules and blur the line of what constitutes "suspicious" behavior. This law is unconstitutional and ineffective. Not only should it be taken down, but the law makers who penned it should loose their jobs and barred from serving a public office forever.

    Your thoughts are welcome.

    Seeing how Bloomberg likes to ignore the 2nd amendment it doesn't really surprise me that he would ignore the 4th amendment as well. This is blatantly unconstitutional just like his attampts to squash the 2nd amendment are. Personally I think blatantly ****ting on the Constitution should warrant a seven year prison term and permanent exile after the prison sentence is over.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 06-20-12 at 11:54 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #5
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I've got no problem with it whatsoever. If you're in a public space, you open yourself up to being considered suspicious and checked for the good of the whole public.
    The 4th amendment doesn't have squat to do with privacy expectations, it has everything to do with law enforcement needing a warrant to search and or seize you and your property. Walking out in public is not suspicious behavior.

    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The 4th amendment doesn't have squat to do with privacy expectations, it has everything to do with law enforcement needing a warrant to search and or seize you and your property. Walking out in public is not suspicious behavior.

    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]
    Remembering that I'm the guy who believes the US Constitution needs to be totally rewritten, James.....

  7. #7
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Remembering that I'm the guy who believes the US Constitution needs to be totally rewritten, James.....
    It doesn't need to be totally rewritten. There is an amendment process for creating and or repealing amendments. If you don't like the 4th amendment then petition your elected officials to amend the constitution to repeal the 4th amendment.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    It doesn't need to be totally rewritten. There is an amendment process for creating and or repealing amendments. If you don't like the 4th amendment then petition your elected officials to amend the constitution to repeal the 4th amendment.
    My issue is that the language and grammar it is written in is no longer understandable by the vast majority of American citizens. Beyond that it is woefully inadequate in a great deal of ways and to amend all of its failings would require more pages in Amendments that the document currently has in total. Therefore it would be much more useful to rewrite the document from scratch in corrected form.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy

    they need to either seriously refine the policy or drop it all together.

    as it stands now, its just a blind and wide net being cast upon mostly black & Hispanic young males.

  10. #10
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Thousands march against NYC’s controversial ‘stop-and-frisk’ policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    My issue is that the language and grammar it is written in is no longer understandable by the vast majority of American citizens. Beyond that it is woefully inadequate in a great deal of ways and to amend all of its failings would require more pages in Amendments that the document currently has in total. Therefore it would be much more useful to rewrite the document from scratch in corrected form.
    The language it it seems quite clear. Rewriting it would not stop politicians from blatantly violating it. Stopping and frisking people without a warrant regardless if it is random or a select group targeted blatantly violates the 4th amendment
    Last edited by jamesrage; 06-20-12 at 12:23 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •