Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 58

Thread: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    So you would support a Theocracy that abuses women, human and gay rights?
    Versus a military dictatorship that abuses everyone? It's a **** sandwich no matter they choose, but in this instance choosing the military would be far worse.

  2. #32
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Are you refering to WWII?
    Yes................
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    I do agree with you. Then again I'm a partial isolationist. if they want to kill each other, more power to ya. Just don't involve us.
    I don't go quite that far.

    We're a far more connected world than we were in the past. We can't just hunker down and assume what happens around us doesn't affect us. It does. We do, and by all rights will continue to, interact in a plethora of ways with other nations. With hold aid, push for sanctions, place trade embargos, provide support to those who would be more friendly to our interest that are lawfully opposing the government, and giving aid to our allies when they're threatened by the government in question are all things I think are legitimate actions to take when a LEGITIMATELY democratically elected government takes control and ACTUALLY does things that are counter to America's interests. I'm not suggesting to treat Egypt with any different gloves than I would suggest a Democracy 100 years old electing a potentially hostile government into power should be treated.

    What I don't agree with however is the notion that we need to somehow, through force, change or restrict or rescind what lawfully happened through the democratic process simply because we don't like the results. That is the antithesis of Deomcracy and frankly is the antithesis of what America is. There's nothing saying we need to prop up, support, or help out governments we believe will be...or show to be...hostile to our goals and ends and I don't think we should. But not propping up is different than actively removing.

  4. #34
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Albert Einstein. German.
    I mean that there was no seperation between Germans and Nazis.



    By suggesting there was no seperation between Nazi's and Germans
    Prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #35
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Versus a military dictatorship that abuses everyone? It's a **** sandwich no matter they choose, but in this instance choosing the military would be far worse.
    When was the last time they stoned a women in Egypt for infidelity?
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  6. #36
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Versus a military dictatorship that abuses everyone? It's a **** sandwich no matter they choose, but in this instance choosing the military would be far worse.
    six of one...half dozen of another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You love using pathetic excuses when your argument fails.
    My argument hasn't failed, that's where you're mistaken.

    I remember being call a fear mongerer last year when I said that the MB would control the Egyptian government, too. Now look.
    I saw people say the MB would control the Egyptian government last year. I didn't say they were "fear mongering" because I didn't think it would happen. It was definitely a possability. I said it was fear mongering because it was typically used to suggest why we should either 1) support a Dictator over Democracy 2) why Egyptians shouldn't have democracy. Both are bogus. Democracy is something with its risks and its benefits, but if we truly believe it is the best system then it must be accepted in full. Trying to scare people that someone they won't like may come to power as a means of suggesting why people should not be allowed to win Democracy for themselves is ridiculous. That's why I would have called such people fear mongering. Not because I didn't think it was possible...but because it was irrelevant to the notion of whether or not Egypt should be able to become a Democracy.

    Let us know how you feel about all that democracy when the MB creates a dictatorial regime and elections are outlawed.
    And should that happen I would view it as I do most other dictatorial regimes. Revoke all aid if that dictatorial regime is hostile to US interests, give aid to our allies if they're threatened by them, promote a movement to Democracy lawfully if the regime is not hostile to the US and if it is hostile to the US then give aid in various ways to those groups within working to win over Democracy. Just as I felt about Iran, just as I felt about Egypt.

    However, at the point that they become a dictatorial regime and elections are outlawed they no longer are a Democracy so those earlier statements of mine would no longer apply. The seeming difference between you and I is you seem to wish to give up on Deomcracy from the onset and deem that the Egpytian people should live under the dictatorship of the United States...I believe they have the right to democractically decide their own government even if we don't like the results and even if those results may wind up with a Dictatorship at some point.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I mean that there was no seperation between Germans and Nazis.
    Albert Einstein was German.

    Unless you're specifically meaning German Citizens...in which case, please explain to me how all Muslims are Egyptian citizens.

    Prove it.
    Prove what? That you said it? Sure. Look at your post at #20.

    Prove that there was no seperation? Sorry apdst, but you're ignorance of fallacies isn't my fault. One, you're asking me to prove a negative. Two, you're the one that made the initial POSTIVE assertion that there was no seperation between Nazis and Germans. YOU have to prove it.

    I can point to the load of German people in the U.S. during the time that were not arrested, rounded up, and even helped the war effort to identify clearly that there was a seperation between Nazi's and Germans.

  9. #39
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yes................
    We got involved by supplying England with war material.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    When was the last time they stoned a women in Egypt for infidelity?
    Not sure, but I have heard of 900 protestors killed due to a dictatorship that you support. Or what Saddam had done as a dictator. Shall I continue on the list of deaths due to dictators?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •