Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 58

Thread: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

  1. #21
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,316

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I would support a countries right to democratically elect its own leader.

    If said leader takes the country in a direction that is counter to US interests then I support withdrawing aid and support for that country.

    What I don't support, and will never support, is the belief that the United States should forcefully overrule through might and power a countries democratic process simply because we don't like the results of it.
    We didn't do that during the 30's, either. Why repeat history?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Was there any seperation of the Nazis and the German people? No, there wasn't.
    Absolutely there was. Most Nazi's were German. Not every German was a Nazi. Indeed, there was a non-nazi German who helped assist in stopping the war.

    Same scenario here.
    Only in bizarro world when you rewrite history to fit your desire and need to hate all things islam.

    Political correctness isn't changing reality...your warped views are what's attempting to change reality.

  3. #23
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    I do not really understand what the US is suppose to do in this situation. We can hope for the best, which seems to have not happened, that the Muslim Brotherhood does not gain too much power. Reality speaks differently and the race was pretty close between them and some one who was in the old regime. Not really a win-win scenario for the people of Egypt. But now, do we try and overthrow a country who elected their leader? That probably will not go over to well and will help fuel the idea that any person elected that the West does not like we will do something about it. Right now I think the most we can do is make sure that elections are held when they are suppose to be.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  4. #24
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I would support a countries right to democratically elect its own leader.

    If said leader takes the country in a direction that is counter to US interests then I support withdrawing aid and support for that country.

    What I don't support, and will never support, is the belief that the United States should forcefully overrule through might and power a countries democratic process simply because we don't like the results of it.
    I do agree with you. Then again I'm a partial isolationist. if they want to kill each other, more power to ya. Just don't involve us.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  5. #25
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,316

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Absolutely there was. Most Nazi's were German. Not every German was a Nazi. Indeed, there was a non-nazi German who helped assist in stopping the war.
    No, there wasn't.



    Only in bizarro world when you rewrite history to fit your desire and need to hate all things islam.

    Political correctness isn't changing reality...your warped views are what's attempting to change reality.
    How did I re-write history?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #26
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,316

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    I do agree with you. Then again I'm a partial isolationist. if they want to kill each other, more power to ya. Just don't involve us.
    We've tried that approach and it cost us nearly a half million American lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    We didn't do that during the 30's, either. Why repeat history?
    Man you're loving some Godwin right now.

    It's not, and should not be, our place to determine what people get to elect democratically. What you're suggesting is that somehow Democracy should be something the United States has a right to...and every other country should essentially be bestowed upon them a Dictatorship where they are ruled over by the United States in defacto fashion since we should remove any government elected fairly and lawfully from power if we don't like them.

    Forgive me, but your pathetic scare mongering doesn't actually work on me. For every legitimate threat we'd potentially remove by taking such an ignorant and egotistical stance we'd remove numerous individuals wrongfully and to the determinant of their people and do unquestionable harm to the very spirit and notion of Democracy. It also ignorantly assumes that the only way in which for the attrocities of the 1930's to have not occured would've been for direct military intervention from the moment that we were unhappy Hitler came to power, which is just absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention that the world stage in terms of military might is no where near where it is in 1930.

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, there wasn't.
    Albert Einstein. German.

    How did I re-write history?
    By suggesting there was no seperation between Nazi's and Germans

  9. #29
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    We've tried that approach and it cost us nearly a half million American lives.
    Are you refering to WWII?
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  10. #30
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,316

    Re: Brotherhood's Morsi Claims Victory in Egypt Election

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Man you're loving some Godwin right now.
    You love using pathetic excuses when your argument fails.

    It's not, and should not be, our place to determine what people get to elect democratically. What you're suggesting is that somehow Democracy should be something the United States has a right to...and every other country should essentially be bestowed upon them a Dictatorship where they are ruled over by the United States in defacto fashion since we should remove any government elected fairly and lawfully from power if we don't like them.
    We'll have to agree to disagree.

    Forgive me, but your pathetic scare mongering doesn't actually work on me. For every legitimate threat we'd potentially remove by taking such an ignorant and egotistical stance we'd remove numerous individuals wrongfully and to the determinant of their people and do unquestionable harm to the very spirit and notion of Democracy. It also ignorantly assumes that the only way in which for the attrocities of the 1930's to have not occured would've been for direct military intervention from the moment that we were unhappy Hitler came to power, which is just absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention that the world stage in terms of military might is no where near where it is in 1930.
    I remember being call a fear mongerer last year when I said that the MB would control the Egyptian government, too. Now look.

    Let us know how you feel about all that democracy when the MB creates a dictatorial regime and elections are outlawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •