Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 368

Thread: Teacher of the year is laid off.

  1. #31
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody1447 View Post
    California law already requires at least 40% of state spending be allocated to K-12 education. It was the the general budget's reduction in spending that caused the state to proportionally reduce educational spending.

    As for less blaming and more cooperation, I don't think you'd find anyone who disagrees with you. Remember, the entire CA legislature and governorship is controlled by the Democratic party.
    Republican legislators have refused to let the tax vote move forward and face increasing pressure to stick to the party line. Brown said he is particularly troubled by a conservative faction within the California Republican Party that wants to label as a traitor any lawmaker who votes for the governor's plan.

    "Unfortunately, now the more extreme elements of the Republican Party are about to brand any Republican legislator a terrorist and some evil being if they give the people the right to vote," Brown told reporters Tuesday before a luncheon speech to state probation officers. "And if it comes to a situation in America where letting the people vote becomes an act of terrorism, we're in a very serious situation when a major party thinks that way."

    California Legislature To Vote On Governor's Budget Proposal Wednesday

    Whether they hold power or not, they chose not to participate and to work against. We see this on the national level as well. Now, I am not saying democrats are much better. I am saying this is not how our leaders should govern.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    All very true, well except for the bolded part I don't agree with that. It takes a certain person to be a great teacher, and not everyone can do it.
    Well, that's why I added the don't get me wrong part. But a good student will learn dispite the teacher. I have no doubt about this.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #33
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No problem. Glad I could help you learn that the effects of the greatest recession since the Great Depression extended far beyond June, 2009.
    Right, so we can blame every problem in the country on your subjective causation of a recession that ended 4 years ago! That's a beautiful propaganda tool you've got there. Good Job!
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

  4. #34
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    All that means is the money is wasted on things that don't actually improve their education, it doesn't mean we should gut their funding because that won't help either.
    The money is wasted on things that don't improve education, therefore we shouldn't reduce how much we spend? What?
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

  5. #35
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Republican legislators have refused to let the tax vote move forward and face increasing pressure to stick to the party line. Brown said he is particularly troubled by a conservative faction within the California Republican Party that wants to label as a traitor any lawmaker who votes for the governor's plan.

    "Unfortunately, now the more extreme elements of the Republican Party are about to brand any Republican legislator a terrorist and some evil being if they give the people the right to vote," Brown told reporters Tuesday before a luncheon speech to state probation officers. "And if it comes to a situation in America where letting the people vote becomes an act of terrorism, we're in a very serious situation when a major party thinks that way."

    California Legislature To Vote On Governor's Budget Proposal Wednesday

    Whether they hold power or not, they chose not to participate and to work against. We see this on the national level as well. Now, I am not saying democrats are much better. I am saying this is not how our leaders should govern.
    The $15.7B deficit already assumes that the tax initiative is passed! Gov. Brown is fighting factions within his own party to reduce spending even further than what they will allow. How did you spin this to make it look like it was the Republican's fault?

    Your article was from 3/15/11!!
    Last edited by Rhapsody1447; 06-16-12 at 04:47 AM.
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

  6. #36
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody1447 View Post
    The $15.7B deficit already assumes that the tax initiative is passed! Gov. Brown is fighting factions within his own party to reduce spending even further than what they will allow. How did you spin this to make it look like it was the Republican's fault?

    Your article was from 3/15/11!!
    I don't believe I did. I suggested they work together. You said it was controlled by democrats. I linked the fact that republicans were not participating, and if you get an updated report, you'll find that they moved forward without republicans. I'm just saying this is not the cooperation I ask for. Leaders work and not sit doing nothing by trying to stop everything.


    I also made a special point to say this: Now, I am not saying democrats are much better. I am saying this is not how our leaders should govern.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody1447 View Post
    The money is wasted on things that don't improve education, therefore we shouldn't reduce how much we spend? What?
    No, we should spend wisely, and pay for what we spend. I don't think this is shocking either.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #38
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody1447 View Post
    Right, so we can blame every problem in the country on your subjective causation of a recession that ended 4 years ago! That's a beautiful propaganda tool you've got there. Good Job!
    Do you have any evidence whatsoever that states are back up to income levels before the recession?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #39
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't believe I did. I suggested they work together. You said it was controlled by democrats. I linked the fact that republicans were not participating, and if you get an updated report, you'll find that they moved forward without republicans. I'm just saying this is not the cooperation I ask for. Leaders work and not sit doing nothing by trying to stop everything.


    I also made a special point to say this: Now, I am not saying democrats are much better. I am saying this is not how our leaders should govern.
    You don't believe you singled out Republicans. Did you not just write this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Republican legislators have refused to let the tax vote move forward and face increasing pressure to stick to the party line. Brown said he is particularly troubled by a conservative faction within the California Republican Party that wants to label as a traitor any lawmaker who votes for the governor's plan.
    From an article over a year old?

    From the (recent) article:

    Democrats agree with the governor on many aspects of his $91.4 billion spending plan but their plan doesn't save as much as the governor proposed. They sought to minimize the amount of cuts they have to make by slashing his proposed reserve fund from $1 billion to about $500 million.

    They are urging the governor to back off from plans to cut programs that assist the poor, but Brown maintains the reductions are needed to help bring the state back to fiscal balance.

    Democrats are resisting deeper cuts to the state's welfare-to-work program known as CalWORKS, child care assistance for low-income families, in-home supportive services, and eliminating Cal Grants for students who attend private colleges.

    The two sides disagree on how to distribute money to local governments that once went to community redevelopment agencies. Brown also has proposed a 5 percent reduction in state worker pay that still must be negotiated with unions.
    You said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, we should spend wisely, and pay for what we spend. I don't think this is shocking either.
    After Your Star said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    All that means is the money is wasted on things that don't actually improve their education
    I agree!
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

  10. #40
    Skeptical Optimist
    Rhapsody1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Seen
    09-20-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Do you have any evidence whatsoever that states are back up to income levels before the recession?
    Right, so your argument is: National Republicans caused the recession because of focusing on "military hegemony and wealth tax cuts" (with zero proof provided). Therefore every state's budget deficit is the fault of the Republicans from 4 years ago. Keep taking the blue pill!
    "There is an excellent correlation between giving society what it wants and making money, and almost no correlation between the desire to make money and how much money one makes." ~Dalio

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •