Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 368

Thread: Teacher of the year is laid off.

  1. #341
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    Then why are you mentioning the test scores at all?
    Did you read what I just wrote?

    I think in context my point is easy to follow. I link the spot where the "effectively banning teachers unions" information is written and where it lists the states. We are talking about number of public unions and their power, not test scores. When reading something, context matters.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #342
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Did you read what I just wrote?
    I read what you wrote, and it does not seem to answer my question.

    Can you please explain, and include more than one sentence?

  3. #343
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    I read what you wrote, and it does not seem to answer my question.

    Can you please explain, and include more than one sentence?
    That makes non sense. I used the sentence that addressed the point. I'm not sure why you can't understand this. Does it say other things? Sure. But as I know there is a context to the discussion, I assume most are able to see the part that fits. I rarely run into someone who can't seem to grasp it. And frankly, some who say they don't are just trying to skit the issue.

    You, however, seem to honestly not get it. Like I said, this is rare. The clear, straight as an arrow answer has been given.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #344
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That makes non sense. I used the sentence that addressed the point. I'm not sure why you can't understand this. Does it say other things? Sure. But as I know there is a context to the discussion, I assume most are able to see the part that fits. I rarely run into someone who can't seem to grasp it. And frankly, some who say they don't are just trying to skit the issue.

    You, however, seem to honestly not get it. Like I said, this is rare. The clear, straight as an arrow answer has been given.
    Instead of insulting me and others on the forum.

    Why don't you explain why you are including the test scores at all?

  5. #345
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    Instead of insulting me and others on the forum.

    Why don't you explain why you are including the test scores at all?
    I'm not trying to insult you, but I have explained. What am I suppose to say when you don't understand?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #346
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    01-04-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,432

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Why would Unions want to come up with honest teacher evaluations? That would allow them to actually be individualy evaluated, decreasing the power of the union.
    Why did we ever give these simpletons that much power?
    Caitlyn Strong...

  7. #347
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm not trying to insult you, but I have explained. What am I suppose to say when you don't understand?
    You gave me one sentence that seems to say "Oh.. I am just copying whatever my link says", which doesn't really answer the question.

    Rephrase it so we know what you are talking about. Communication is a two way street.

  8. #348
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    You gave me one sentence that seems to say "Oh.. I am just copying whatever my link says", which doesn't really answer the question.

    Rephrase it so we know what you are talking about. Communication is a two way street.
    Yeah, as the sentence tells you it was on point and why it was on point. This is not hard to follow. And as a two way street, I have to what it is you don't follow. I highlighted the pertinent part, explain that the rest came with the sentence, and that I wanted the listing of states. What could you not understand?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #349
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-12 @ 01:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    232

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Only five states do not allow collective bargaining for educators, effectively banning teachers unions. Those states and their SAT/ACT rankings are as follows:

    South Carolina 50th

    North Carolina 49th

    Georgia 48th

    Texas 47th

    Virginia 44th


    Read more: The Five States Where Teachers Unions Are Illegal Have The Lowest Test Scores In America* - Business Insider

    We can argue the semantics if you want. Or you can pretend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    See above.
    You are just all over the map. First you claim 10 states have outlawed teacher's unions. Then when proven wrong due to the clear inability to comprehend your sources you post a link using decade old data and once again fail to comprehend what you are reading.

    First, let's stay up to date with our data and not pick and choose years where we don't have all of the information. Secondly, do you know the percentile those states are in terms of taking the SAT exams?

    South Carolina: 13
    North Carolina: 16
    Georgia: 5
    Texas: 20
    Virginia: 12

    These states take the SATs at a much higher rate than other states. People who take the SATs tend towards the top of the educational system. States like Wisconsin who up until this year had one of the strongest public unions in the nation only have a participation rate of 5% with the SATs. They are 44th in the nation. Missouri also scores at the top percentile in exam scores, where our fearless Layla_Z teaches and has no union and is underpaid. You can't look at that number though because only 5% of the students actually take the exams.

    These numbers mean absolutely nothing without looking at the participation rates, demographics and socio-economic conditions. In fact, The College Board (where your stats comes from) tells you so. Otherwise a state like Maine (95% participation) would be rated at the bottom in terms of education when it is not the case at all. You really have a lot of learning to do. You haven't made a single intelligent argument yet. Everything you've posted thus far has been a failure to comprehend what you have read or a bait and switch.. just like this argument.

    Boo Radley: Thirty-something percent of public school teachers are in a union!!!11!!
    > No Boo, your figure includes public as well as private employees from all different professions, not just teachers.
    Boo Radley: Well, 10 states outlaw teacher's unions!!111!!
    > No Boo, no state outlaws teacher's unions. They have a right to form a union. Some states haven't made collectively bargaining a requirement though.
    Boo Radley: States that don't have collective bargaining have the lowest test scores and therefore the lowest quality education!!!!11!!
    > No Boo, they take the exams at a much higher rate thus the numbers are skewed from the inclusion of students in much lower percentiles.

    This entire thread has been nothing short of an exercise in futility with you. Basic reading comprehension and fundamental understanding of logic and recognizing fallacies is completely lost on you.

    For your edification, here are the actual numbers for you to look at.
    http://professionals.collegeboard.co..._9_12_2011.pdf
    I'm really posting this for other people, I know you don't have the intelligence to comprehend the information.
    Last edited by Comfort Food; 06-21-12 at 06:48 PM.

  10. #350
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
    You are just all over the map. First you claim 10 states have outlawed teacher's unions. Then when proven wrong due to the clear inability to comprehend your sources you post a link using decade old data and once again fail to comprehend what you are reading.

    First, let's stay up to date with our data and not pick and choose years where we don't have all of the information. Secondly, do you know the percentile those states are in terms of taking the SAT exams?

    South Carolina: 13
    North Carolina: 16
    Georgia: 5
    Texas: 20
    Virginia: 12

    These states take the SATs at a much higher rate than other states. People who take the SATs tend towards the top of the educational system. States like Wisconsin who up until this year had one of the strongest public unions in the nation only have a participation rate of 5% with the SATs. They are 44th in the nation. Missouri also scores at the top percentile in exam scores, where our fearless Layla_Z teaches and has no union and is underpaid. You can't look at that number though because only 5% of the students actually take the exams.

    These numbers mean absolutely nothing without looking at the participation rates, demographics and socio-economic conditions. In fact, The College Board (where your stats comes from) tells you so. Otherwise a state like Maine (95% participation) would be rated at the bottom in terms of education when it is not the case at all. You really have a lot of learning to do. You haven't made a single intelligent argument yet. Everything you've posted thus far has been a failure to comprehend what you have read or a bait and switch.. just like this argument.

    Boo Radley: Thirty-something percent of public school teachers are in a union!!!11!!
    > No Boo, your figure includes public as well as private employees from all different professions, not just teachers.
    Boo Radley: Well, 10 states outlaw teacher's unions!!111!!
    > No Boo, no state outlaws teacher's unions. They have a right to form a union. Some states haven't made collectively bargaining a requirement though.
    Boo Radley: States that don't have collective bargaining have the lowest test scores and therefore the lowest quality education!!!!11!!
    > No Boo, they take the exams at a much higher rate thus the numbers are skewed from the inclusion of students in much lower percentiles.

    This entire thread has been nothing short of an exercise in futility with you. Basic reading comprehension and fundamental understanding of logic and recognizing fallacies is completely lost on you.

    For your edification, here are the actual numbers for you to look at.
    http://professionals.collegeboard.co..._9_12_2011.pdf
    I'm really posting this for other people, I know you don't have the intelligence to comprehend the information.
    Follow. Yes, it was states and not ten. However, 23 states have right to work laws. The point had nothing to do with test scores, so let's not follow down that lane as the other poster did. The point is about how many people are in unions.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •