Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 368

Thread: Teacher of the year is laid off.

  1. #261
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    What's the difference these days? Obama has compiled the most aggressively pro union administration in possibly the nations history.


    j-mac
    Why is pro-union more important than congressmen getting in bed with big business?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  2. #262
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Why is pro-union more important than congressmen getting in bed with big business?
    Workers are less than management.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #263
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Why is pro-union more important than congressmen getting in bed with big business?
    It's not. They're both very clear causes of creating an unhealthy economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #264
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    The union part of this is backwards. Unions want teachers to be allowed to be lazy in administering discipline. That way teachers don't have to put up with it.

    They kind of had this coming though. When you professionalize education, you dismiss social values. Therefore, people forget about duty of care. They forget that they're entitled to understand manners by the time they're graduated into adulthood, and teachers are allowed to get away with not teaching them.

    Instead, teachers get to indoctrinate students with feminism, multiculturalism, environmentalism, and egalitarianism rather than caring about people for being people.
    BS. Teachers don't indoctrinate, the state developed, state approved curriculum does. Ask a teacher what happens when they deviate from that curriculum, and see what they tell you. Do you think teachers are actually allowed to teach, these days? Hardly. They are little more than mouth pieces for the board of ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  5. #265
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,427

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Why is pro-union more important than congressmen getting in bed with big business?
    Both are important, why so false choice? Stick to the topic btw.

    Sadly, if you take nearly any issue on this forum, and certainly the sum of liberal issues like minority rights, poverty, wealth disparity, welfare, health care, tax/spend issues, etc., they are probably long-term most impacted by our public education system. So much comes back to education, it's a national long-term investment that even a small percentage improvement potentially means big GDP, tax revenue, less welfare, etc, for the nation.

    In terms of scale, it's probably far more important.

    Then, it also significantly affects me. I have to pay for private school, and I pay for public school. Many thousands per year...directly, and my child directly receives some service or not, from that expense, that helps guide and shape her future on earth. That tends to be more personal for me, than a ****ing farm subsidy that goes to a multi-million dollar farm.

  6. #266
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Both are important, why so false choice? Stick to the topic btw.

    Sadly, if you take nearly any issue on this forum, and certainly the sum of liberal issues like minority rights, poverty, wealth disparity, welfare, health care, tax/spend issues, etc., they are probably long-term most impacted by our public education system. So much comes back to education, it's a national long-term investment that even a small percentage improvement potentially means big GDP, tax revenue, less welfare, etc, for the nation.

    In terms of scale, it's probably far more important.

    Then, it also significantly affects me. I have to pay for private school, and I pay for public school. Many thousands per year...directly, and my child directly receives some service or not, from that expense, that helps guide and shape her future on earth. That tends to be more personal for me, than a ****ing farm subsidy that goes to a multi-million dollar farm.
    I ask because it just kills me that people are finding the most meaningless things to bitch about all the while their congressmen is bending over for any business who wishes to donate to his/her campaign. The biggest problem today is that elected goverments no longer represent the people. Yet here we are bitching about pitly-assed unions and other meaningless things in comparison.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #267
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    I won't down play education, but pointing to education doesn't excuse us ignoring other problems. Unions have no more voice than business. Union voters have no more voice than non union voters.

    And no one makes you pay for private school, and if you believe that education is important, and effects you, as you say, than you're actually helping yourself by paying for public education Mach.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #268
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,427

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I ask because it just kills me that people are finding the most meaningless things to bitch about all the while their congressmen is bending over for any business who wishes to donate to his/her campaign. The biggest problem today is that elected goverments no longer represent the people. Yet here we are bitching about pitly-assed unions and other meaningless things in comparison.
    The top two teachers unions combined do more than anyone else!!!!
    Liberals, Democrats in this case, are also the most polarized top donors. Who are democrats so partisan on campaign contributions? Look at all the donkeys in the tilt column. Are you sure you know what democrats are up to besides just their rhetoric?

    If AT&T lobbies, what am I out middleground? I can switch to VOIP, or Verizon, or drop AT&T, or get work to pay for my minutes, etc. Education? I can move, that's about it. Besides, my education bill is about 4-10x my education bill, and my kids education pays long-term dividends, gotta have priorites.

    Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2012 | OpenSecrets
    Last edited by Mach; 06-19-12 at 05:25 PM.

  9. #269
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,427

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I won't down play education, but pointing to education doesn't excuse us ignoring other problems. Unions have no more voice than business. Union voters have no more voice than non union voters.
    And no one makes you pay for private school, and if you believe that education is important, and effects you, as you say, than you're actually helping yourself by paying for public education Mach.
    They do make me pay for public education boo, and I get what I get, there is nearly no choice in the matter based on job and home site. Even if I DO choose private (I have so far), I can't choose to take that public education tax amount back...

    I have no issue paying for public education in principle, do not try to move the argument to be against it. Opportunity cost boo. I could help myself far more by paying for public educaiton, if teachers unions took a back seat. Just because a government agency does "some good" with tax money, is in no way justifcation for the status quo, given that the entire argument is about how much better they could be doing if they spent that money differently.

  10. #270
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-12 @ 01:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    232

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Aren't you confusing unions with government?
    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Some don't seem to know the difference!
    Teacher's unions are deeply entrenched in our government and politics.

    Let's not be facetious. We all know this to be true.
    Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2012 | OpenSecrets

    Look at the list of donors to parties. Democrats receive most of their funding from unions. Teacher's unions collectively make the largest donor group of the union subset. And these are national groups, the states typically have their own teacher's unions which are not ranked top 50, but significant nonetheless for their state and in totality at the national level.

    There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade or making a factual statement. Teacher's unions take pride in their ability to influence elections. It is part of their strategy in the struggle for power. They use government and their political influence to advance power for themselves.
    Last edited by Comfort Food; 06-19-12 at 05:54 PM.

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •