Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 368

Thread: Teacher of the year is laid off.

  1. #241
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Hey, no doubt about it. I fully agree. Now sure there was a time right after 9/11 that I was full throated in support of Iraq, and Afghanistan as it pertained to removing Saddam, and routing the Taliban. However, 10 years later, and building nations that have little use or appreciation for what we sacrificed for them? Not so much. But, with Obama, he doesn't just stick to his enumerated powers as laid out by the Constitution. He seems to think that he will play the constitution game as long as Congress goes along with what he wants, and if not, well then he can just do it anyway, whether through a Czar, or head of a regulatory body which is NOT our form of Government.
    We have two viable choices for president in the upcoming elections, one that has ordered cuts to military spending and ended the war in Iraq, and one that has pledged to increase military spending and thought we should have not ended the war with Iraq.

    So you would cut defense spending by at least 2/3 from $700 Billion to $200 Billion? Yeah, at this time in the world? heh, good luck with that.
    I don't expect it will be done now, but it will have to be done whenever we get serious about reducing the deficit.


    They realize that now, but they for the most part don't agree with you that it is a defense spending problem.
    "Ask your average American whether the defense budget should go up or down in 2013, and by how much, and they’ll tell you to cut spending by a whopping 18 percent. Ask your average member of Congress the same question, and no matter which party they’re from, you’ll likely hear that defense spending should barely budge from where it is right now.

    “It’s a sizable gap—perhaps even a missile-sized gap,” suggested R. Jeffrey Smith, an editor at the Center for Public Integrity and former Washington Post reporter, unveiling the findings Thursday morning at the Stimson Center. On average, Smith and his co-authors found the public wants $103.5 billion in defense budget cuts, or 18 percent of the current budget; Republicans want $74 billion cut, on average, Democrats want a $124.4 billion cut, and independents want a $112.2 billion reduction. Participants evaluated 87 percent of defense discretionary spending, so their cuts might even be higher if the entire defense budget were covered."

    Americans want to slash defense spending, but Washington isn’t listening - The Washington Post
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #242
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    Wow, do you always dismiss the experiences of others when they don't fit with your beliefs. Yes, I have seen more than a few teachers fired for no legitimate reason. I've seen teachers get excellent evaluations from their supervisor but be fired by the school board.
    So have I.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #243
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The constitution also specifies ZERO for the amount of federal education spending, yet the fastest growing, cabinet level federal department is DOEd. The entire DOEd should be terminated.
    Would you quote the part in the Constitution that "specifies ZERO for the amount of federal education spending"?
    Here is the quote where funding of education is allowed:

    "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

    If this were not the case, the federal funding of education would have been found unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, which has not happened.

    I agree that there is plenty of fat in the defense budget, even the DOD says this, yet billions in defense PORK spending is at play, as EACH congressional district has skin in the game, so EACH congressman helps all of the others to keep this nonsense going. I remember reading that 37 states are "involved" in the production of the latest "joint services" fighter aircraft project, thus it has a virtual congressional "LOCK" for funding. The F22, the last "must have" military toy, has NEVER been used in combat, yet its replacement, the F35 is a "top priority" simply because congress says so.

    Foreign aid and "nation building" are other massive wastes of tax money; what sense does it make to borrow money just to give it away, often to nations that don't need it, have corrupt gov'ts and are filled with people that truely hate us?
    The answer for that is for Americans to do their duty and vote out congressman that waste money on excessive military spending.



    Welfare money is constantly squandered on 12% to 15% of the population, that simply refuse to get educated, get off drugs/alcohol and stop having children that they can not afford to raise, yet we spend and average of $7,500 on each of these morons and call it a "war on poverty". The same nation that frets over the cost of caring for its elderly, many that have worked their entire lives paying into SS/Medicare, willingly tosses money to the parent(s) of newborn out-of-wedlock children simply because they exist.
    8 Myths about Welfare

    "1. Myth: “Welfare” is comprised solely of cash handouts to poor moms. In fact, welfare is provided to Americans of all income levels and especially to corporations. Welfare includes Social Security, tax breaks, corporate subsidies and incentives, Wall Street bailouts, Medicare and Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, and the means-tested cash assistance or in-kind support (food stamps, housing, childcare vouchers) that we associate with welfare “queens.” Of the means-tested public assistance programs for the poor, food stamps have the broadest reach- some 46 million Americans (about 15% of the population, and an all-time high) were receiving food stamps in 2011. However, when most people talk about dodgy welfare moms, what they mean is the cash assistance and other meager benefits supplied (sometimes) under TANF. TANF support sometimes includes vouchers for childcare, clothing, and other needs along with cash assistance, but this varies wildly from state to state (Southern states tend to be meanest when it comes to assistance for the poor). For the purposes of this discussion, I will pretend that the only type of welfare is indeed the cash and in-kind support given (mostly) to poor moms through TANF.
    2. Myth: Most poor moms are on welfare. It is true that the majority of TANF’s clients are women and children, but most poor families never receive any assistance at all. In 2010, there were about 78 million families in the United States. Just over 9 million families (about 12%) were officially in poverty, but about 28% of families qualified as in poverty or near-poor. While some 20-odd million families were poor or near-poor and thus arguably in need of some kind of assistance, very few were poor enough to be eligible for TANF, and of those families eligible for TANF, only 1.9 million were actually receiving TANF in 2011. Since the welfare reform of 1996, participation by eligible families has plummeted: 84% of those families in need received ADC in 1995, dropping to 52% receiving TANF in 2000, and only 40% in 2005. Most poor moms, whether single or married, are not on welfare.
    3. Myth: Moms on welfare take up a huge amount of the national budget. Actually, each year, about 20% of the national budget goes to defense, and another 20% to Social Security. Less than 1/3 of the $3.7 trillion dollar 2012 federal budget went to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), which administers TANF and other programs. Of the HHS’s 2012 budget, 54% went to Medicare, 30% to Medicaid, 14% to other programs, and 2%, or about $17 billion, to TANF. Meanwhile, $13 billion was budgeted in 2012 for TARP- yet another welfare handout to bankers that nearly matches that of TANF recipients. Speaking of welfare handouts for bankers, it’s worth noting that it would take about 42 years for our nation’s 1.9 million TANF recipients to equal the $700 billion dollar handout given to Wall Street in 2008.
    4. Myth: Poor moms spend decades, or even lifetimes, on welfare. Since 1996, there has been a five-year lifetime cap on TANF assistance for adults. In 2006, the average length of time families received TANF assistance was 35.4 months, and case closure data from 35 states indicated that less than one-half of one percent of cases were closed because families had hit the 5-year ceiling.
    5. Myth: Welfare moms refuse to work. In fact, in 2006, 33% of TANF families were engaged in qualified work activities for at least 30 hours per week, and another 14% had some work hours (though not enough to qualify toward the work rate). Looking at poor families more generally, in 2010, about 32% of single moms in poverty were working at least part time (compared to 17% of single dads in poverty), rising to 59% and 40%, respectively, for near-poor single moms and dads. Poor and welfare moms rarely refuse to work, but are more likely to be laid off, to spend more time looking for work, and to be stuck in low-income, no-benefit junk jobs that make survival, perversely, more difficult.
    6. Myth: Welfare moms have more kids to get bigger benefit payments. Contrary to popular belief, TANF families in 2006 had an average of 2.3 children, and approximately 1 in 2 TANF recipients had only 1 child. Only 10% of TANF recipients had more than 3 children. The average TANF cash assistance grant is $372 per month (so much for the Escalades and Playstations), and while some states do give larger grants to families with more children, the average payment increases only $80 per child. Most TANF families (about 80%) do also qualify for SNAP, the food stamp program, and receive an average monthly food stamp allowance of $275.
    7. Myth: Loads of poor moms are committing welfare “fraud.” There is no statistical evidence to support the notion of an epidemic of women marauding as welfare frauds. In fact, vendors commit a great deal of welfare fraud (and the real fraud game is in the military- perhaps poor moms should get into the defense contracting business if they want to get rich fraudulently on the taxpayer’s dime).
    8. Myth: Most mothers on welfare are black. In 2006, 36% of TANF families were black, 33% were white, and 26% were Hispanic.
    When we break down the myth of the lazy, freeloading welfare mom, we find that the real myth is that poor moms are getting help at all. While longstanding sexist attitudes underpinned the stigmatization of poor mothers on welfare from it’s inception, today’s intense demonization of poor mothers- actually on welfare or no- probably has much to do with our society’s changing economic fortunes. Over the last 30-odd years, we have seen our standard of living decline, our wages stagnate, our dependence on credit to survive intensify, and our jobs disappear, while the costs of education, healthcare, food, and housing have gone through the roof. Many of us are only a tenuous thread above the very poor whom we demonize, and may all too soon find ourselves in need of a welfare "handout." When the fear, stress, and insecurity of declining economic fortunes combine with powerful sexist and racist attitudes, people’s anger can end up misdirected toward a boogeyman of cheating, lazy, drug-addled poor minority moms. This not only allows the real “welfare queens” (corporations and the rich) to continue truly wasting our money while ransacking our economy, our society, and our lives, but leads to a hysterical “off with their heads” sort of environment that has real and devastating consequences for poor moms and their children."

    Junkland: 8 Myths About "Welfare Queens", Debunked

    We subsidze the production of corn, then we subsidze the production of sugar cane/beets to offset the losses caused by the subsidized high fructose corn syrup. We need a VERY serious review of this nations spending,
    I'm right there with you, we need to cut waste in government spending so that we can prioritize what is most important for the future of our country like education of our citizens.

    specifically examining the constitutional authority of and a realistic cost/benefit analysis of ALL federal spending programs.
    The bolded part is a function of the Supreme Court under our Constitution, the second part I would agree.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #244
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    If you believe this, and your rhetoric makes that doubtful
    Of my 6 closest friends in the world, 3 of them are teachers. I have two people I call "siblings" because I was raised with them - both of them are teachers. I will probably teach at one point for pay - I certainly teach wherever I have the chance now.

    instead of demonizing,
    This is where you miss. You seem to think that decrying the destructive results of public sector unions somehow means demonizing teachers. That's crap. One of the reasons I dislike teachers unions is because I think they are bad for teachers and teaching. They protect bad teachers. They hold back good teachers. They encourage low-middle achievers to seek the field. They make it nearly impossible for local school systems and states to control costs in ways to effect the kids least, and they stand in the way of education reform to make our system better. They create unnecessary conflict between our educators and the rest of society.

    One of those three friends is currently unemployed. We were Best Men at each others' weddings. As a male teacher, he was unique enough. As a white male teacher from an upper middle class background willing to go teach in a minority heavy low income school, he was rare. As a white male teacher from an upper middle class background who could consistently get 6th and 7th grade african american boys to read he was a ****ing God-send. Until he got laid off. Because what he wasn't, was senior to the lady down the hall who walks in, hands out assignments, and then zones out behind a magazine every day for class. So.. budget cuts you know.... She's still teaching. The story in the OP? That **** Happens Every Damn Day. Because unionization has been bad for teaching.

    I would recommend more effort put into recruitment and giving teachers more respect 9the number one reason we lose new teachers).
    If you want teachers to get respect and pay, then we need to start ensuring that we get good teachers who will deserve it. The way to do that is through judging and rewarding by merit, so that our society's high-performers are attracted to the field. Good luck getting that past the unions.
    Last edited by cpwill; 06-19-12 at 05:26 AM.

  5. #245
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    We have two viable choices for president in the upcoming elections, one that has ordered cuts to military spending and ended the war in Iraq, and one that has pledged to increase military spending and thought we should have not ended the war with Iraq.
    Too bad the one that's in office right now, his administration is involved in a cover up of the deaths of 2 American Law Enforcement agents by guns allowed by his DOJ and ATF to walk right across the border into the hands of Mexican Drug killers with their blessings obviously. Yet, Obama staunchly stands behind Holder. In my eyes that makes him as bad or worse than Richard Nixon. Vote for anyone BUT Obama in November. He promised transparency and gives us a boat load of dung.
    Last edited by Prof. Peabody; 06-19-12 at 05:47 AM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  6. #246
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Junkland.net????? From what I've read it sure is.

    Domain name: JUNKLAND.NET


    Administrative Contact:
    Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0125022078, junkland.net@contactprivacy.com
    96 Mowat Ave
    Toronto, ON M6K 3M1
    CA
    +1.4165385457
    Technical Contact:
    Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0125022078, junkland.net@contactprivacy.com
    96 Mowat Ave
    Toronto, ON M6K 3M1
    CA
    +1.4165385457
    An anonymous source? Why should we believe any of that tripe?
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-12 @ 01:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    232

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    So have I.
    This is extremely rare. Typically the only reason teachers are let go is due to a layoff from a reduction in force or a teacher is denied tenure. Most other terminations for teachers with good reviews has to do with legal/criminal issues.

    But regardless here is a take on teacher reviews and how the unions have even overtaken that aspect of teaching...

    I speak with a department head on a daily basis. I can't avoid it, his office is near me and he likes to chat it up about how horrible this one teacher of his, we'll call her Jesse, is. I try to stay out of it and walk away, but sometimes I get caught with subtle subject starters. Day in day out all he does is complain about this one teacher Jesse about how she doesn't do her job and how she makes his job difficult. My first year working in education I made the mistake of having this conversation with him...

    Supervisor: Finally got all my teacher evals submitted, f'in Jesse.
    Me: Feel good to have everything turned in?
    Supervisor: I guess so, it just bothers me to have to write that eval for Jesse.
    Me: Writing negative reviews isn't enjoyable for anyone.
    Supervisor: <stars at me in shock, like I just said he was pregnant> What do you mean?
    Me: You said you were worked up over the Jesse eval, it's only one negative review she'll have time to grow.
    Supervisor: Why would I write her a negative review?
    Me: Because you say she is the worst teacher you have ever seen?
    Supervisor: So why would I write her a negative review?
    Me: <blank stare>
    Supervisor: You know what happens if I write a negative review? I get in trouble. They <pointing down the hall to the administrators> will come down here with my review and ask me what the hell I'm doing. I write a negative review I rock the boat. They'll get the teacher's union involved which means the lawyers get involved which means it will be this big costly production and I'll get yelled at for wasting a **** ton of money. What's a negative review gonna do? You know the last time a teacher was let go in this district due to negative reviews? Before I started here that's for sure. Best thing for me to do is to just write something good and turn it in. Otherwise everyone will be upset.

    And that was the first of many instances where I've learned that teacher reviews in many of the districts I've been involved with mean absolutely nothing. Below average to average teachers get "good" reviews. Good teachers get "glowing" reviews. And bad teachers get whatever the administration wants them to get depending on the politics of their district.

  8. #248
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    What protection would that be? I've seen good teachers fired for no good reason. We've seen what happens to teachers now, what would happen without some sort of protection? As long as ignorant people (school boards, congress)are making decisions about what is best and ignoring the advice of the experts (teachers), teachers will need some sort of representation.

    I don't think teachers should strike. That is one of the reasons I've never been in a union and likely won't be. I understand the reasons behind the strike and often agree with the position of the teachers, but a strike hurts the students and they are not the ones making the decisions.
    I wouldn't step through the door of the classroom without union protection, and I'll tell you why. It has nothing to do with the administration nor the board.

    All a little tart has to do is point a finger and say, "he touched me", and you're in for the fight of your life. You don't actually have to touch her, you understand, just be accused, and you have a choice:

    Depend on an underpaid and overworked public defender to save your career and your reputation.
    Pay every cent you have for decent representation, if, that is, you've been working long enough to have a savings account at all
    Depend on the union to back you up.

    Don't expect the school district to support you, regardless of the facts of the case.

    Accused = guilty, and you have to prove you're innocent.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #249
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Too bad the one that's in office right now, his administration is involved in a cover up of the deaths of 2 American Law Enforcement agents by guns allowed by his DOJ and ATF to walk right across the border into the hands of Mexican Drug killers with their blessings obviously. Yet, Obama staunchly stands behind Holder. In my eyes that makes him as bad or worse than Richard Nixon. Vote for anyone BUT Obama in November. He promised transparency and gives us a boat load of dung.

    So you ignore GOP support of an unnecessary war in Iraq that resulted in hundreds of thousands of needless deaths and a $2 trillion dollar price tag for taxpayers, and get all worked up about a connection to 2 people killed that has not been proven.

    Sounds like you should vote Republican!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #250
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Junkland.net????? From what I've read it sure is.



    An anonymous source? Why should we believe any of that tripe?


    Here's the same info from MSU with referenced sources for the numbers:

    https://www.msu.edu/user/skourtes/myths.html


    If you have a valid source to refute them, post them on up here.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •