Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 368

Thread: Teacher of the year is laid off.

  1. #191
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    For once, you have it right, the numbers are exaggerated, perhaps, but I have to agree that teachers who molest kids should lose their pensions.


    They won't need them in prison anyway.

    If it's any consolation, any teacher who hasn't been teaching for many years won't get much of a pension.
    Unfortunately it will take decades for the "good old days" of defined benefit pension liabilities of those "super privileged" retirees to be lifted from the state/local budgets, in the mean time, they keep getting COLA raises on their already too generous pensions. The days of unending raises in salary and benefit increases for gov't employees may be over. Perhaps they will come to allow raises (and retention) to be based on performance, like MOST private company's have come to do.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #192
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I too think Ditto has a good list - what's missing though is the buy in from the unions to allow such a thing to happen. The unions actually would be the biggest blockade to such a thing, and then the government at all levels would be the next. This would mean the system at large would have to put the welfare and education of children above themselves... both unions and government at all levels. I don't see that happening any time soon, sadly.
    The educational reform suggestions are mostly OK, except for the idea that taxation/representation are being removed to an UPWARD level of gov't. The removal of local school districts is a bad plan, IMHO. Instead of 1,000 local school districts, each with ideas for improvement, a local tax base and parental involvement, you end up with ONE statewide school board that nobody can control. Another falacy is that equal per pupil funding is "fair", as it MUST be set to allow the most expensive region in the state (San Francisco?) to survive, thus WASTING millions in rural lower cost areas, and raising taxation through the roof as well. To keep costs down, and local control up, was the reason for local school districts in the first place. If school funding is directly tied to the local tax base, then they have CONTROL over expenses and can make local decisions concerning school budget matters. Ending most organized sports in K-12 schools would save millions as well. Here in Texas, I would bet that the schools spend more on band, cheerleader and sports related expenses than they do on text books. Some high schools have stadiums, tracks, tennis courts, pools and ball fields that rival many colleges, look up Lake Travis high school, near Austin, TX (I realize that they get outside fundng as well, but that place looks like a college campus). Link: Lake Travis High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are MANY more links for this "super school" if you care to look them up.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 06-17-12 at 10:48 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #193
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699
    Good to know its all about the kids.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  4. #194
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,347

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    You're a teacher and pretty quiet. Do you think you have it made in the shade or what? Do you get paid too much for the little work that you do?
    I have a specialized degree, so I make more than my coworkers who have been teaching just as long as I have. I work my ass off all year long taking on extra committee jobs, working weekends, paying for many materials from my own pocket, etc. Now, I believe I'm paid well for what I do. I don't think I should be paid any more.

    However, if I did enough to just scoot by, never worked weekends, gossiped in the lounge instead of working, slacked off on committee work ... I'd STILL be paid the same salary because of my degree. That's messed up.
    Last edited by Josie; 06-17-12 at 11:49 PM.


  5. #195
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    It's always defense with you libs. One of the few Constitutional duties that government has, and you always want to eviscerate it, especially when you consider that entitlements make defense look like small potato's....



    j-mac
    The Constitution only specifies defense. It says nothing about offensive spending. We can no longer afford to spend 7 times what the next biggest spender spends.

    I've no problem with defense spending twice what the next biggest spender spends, like we used to until Reagan exploded our national debt with excessive military spending.

    But, people will figure that out eventually when they realize we have a debt problem.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #196
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    I have a specialized degree, so I make more than my coworkers who have been teaching just as long as I have. I work my ass off all year long taking on extra committee jobs, working weekends, paying for many materials from my own pocket, etc. Now, I believe I'm paid well for what I do. I don't think I should be paid any more.

    However, if I did enough to just scoot by, never worked weekends, gossiped in the lounge instead of working, slacked off on committee work ... I'd STILL be paid the same salary because of my degree. That's messed up.
    Truth from the inside.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  7. #197
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I too think Ditto has a good list - what's missing though is the buy in from the unions to allow such a thing to happen. The unions actually would be the biggest blockade to such a thing, and then the government at all levels would be the next. This would mean the system at large would have to put the welfare and education of children above themselves... both unions and government at all levels. I don't see that happening any time soon, sadly.

    Why would unions block a system in which their members would get more pay and less hassle from administration, government, and bureaucrats? That makes less sense than you telling us how easy teaching is, and that you wouldn't want such an easy and well paid job for yourself.

    and, if the schools are so bad, how is it you got such a good education there?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #198
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,505

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The educational reform suggestions are mostly OK, except for the idea that taxation/representation are being removed to an UPWARD level of gov't. The removal of local school districts is a bad plan, IMHO. Instead of 1,000 local school districts, each with ideas for improvement, a local tax base and parental involvement, you end up with ONE statewide school board that nobody can control. Another falacy is that equal per pupil funding is "fair", as it MUST be set to allow the most expensive region in the state (San Francisco?) to survive, thus WASTING millions in rural lower cost areas, and raising taxation through the roof as well. To keep costs down, and local control up, was the reason for local school districts in the first place. If school funding is directly tied to the local tax base, then they have CONTROL over expenses and can make local decisions concerning school budget matters. Ending most organized sports in K-12 schools would save millions as well. Here in Texas, I would bet that the schools spend more on band, cheerleader and sports related expenses than they do on text books. Some high schools have stadiums, tracks, tennis courts, pools and ball fields that rival many colleges, look up Lake Travis high school, near Austin, TX (I realize that they get outside fundng as well, but that place looks like a college campus). Link: Lake Travis High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are MANY more links for this "super school" if you care to look them up.
    It's interesting that you would bring up California. Here, schools are already funded by the state. This is due to a property tax reduction initiative that was passed back in the '70s that made it necessary to fund schools from other taxes. We're still a long way from the system I described, which would allow for local communities to control their own schools, rather than the state doing so as is currently the case.

    I'm not that familiar with Texas. I wonder, along with the schools being funded locally, are they really run locally, or does the State Board of Education dictate what must be taught, what textbooks to use, and how to evaluate student progress?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #199
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It's interesting that you would bring up California. Here, schools are already funded by the state. This is due to a property tax reduction initiative that was passed back in the '70s that made it necessary to fund schools from other taxes. We're still a long way from the system I described, which would allow for local communities to control their own schools, rather than the state doing so as is currently the case.

    I'm not that familiar with Texas. I wonder, along with the schools being funded locally, are they really run locally, or does the State Board of Education dictate what must be taught, what textbooks to use, and how to evaluate student progress?
    I will say this, most of the efforts I see from conservatives (Dutch system and the Stossel video) actually argue form central standards that all schools adhere to, and that government fund all of the schools, virtually eliminating private. Just something I find odd, especially in comparison with their opposition to single payer HC.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #200
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Sacramento ‘Teacher of the Year’ laid off

    Work hard, excel at what you do, contribute to society, and get laid off anyway.
    Ain't it great?
    No, in fact, it sucks. Quality teachers are critical.

    Evidence #1,498,875 why we need to get rid of idiotic union-driven seniority rules, and replace them with merit rankings. Some crappy teacher has this ones' job because she was born 3 years earlier.

Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •