Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 368

Thread: Teacher of the year is laid off.

  1. #141
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "Ballooning defense spending and substantial tax cuts beginning in the 1980s ushered in a new period of rising federal debt."
    U.S. Deficits and the National Debt - Council on Foreign Relations

    When people get serious about reducing the deficit, we will have to reverse that trend.

    It's always defense with you libs. One of the few Constitutional duties that government has, and you always want to eviscerate it, especially when you consider that entitlements make defense look like small potato's....

    America's Problems
    Decades ago, politicians promised Baby Boomers health and retirement benefits but provided no way to pay for them. Now we are faced with the consequences of their neglect. U.S. debt held by the public equals nearly 70 percent of GDP and is rapidly growing.

    Medicare and Social Security face nearly $40 trillion in long-term unfunded obligations - over $200,000 for every American. We cannot leave these burdens for our children and grandchildren. We must begin now to solve these problems. And we all must share the burdens those solutions will entail.

    Heritage Solutions
    Our plan transforms the main federal entitlement programs - Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid - into real insurance programs. We provide financial security to retirees, guarantee assistance to people who need it, and reduce government payments to those who are truly prosperous.

    Obamacare is repealed and replaced with a system that gives consumers affordable choices among private, competing health care plans, much as federal employees have long enjoyed.

    The tax system is made simple and fair, with a single rate for all. Our reforms encourage businesses to invest, fueling economic growth. Complementing the aims of reforming entitlement programs (Medicare, Social Security and Medicaid), our tax plan helps Americans to save throughout their working years and achieve economic security so they won't have to depend on government in retirement.

    Our plan permanently balances the budget within 10 years. By immediately reducing government benefits to the wealthiest Americans, our reforms immediately begin reducing deficits that threaten the economy. We reduce government where it has exceeded the powers authorized by the Constitution. And we responsibly address ruinous public debt that will otherwise overwhelm not only ourselves but also our children and grandchildren.

    Saving the American Dream Plan: Solving America's Problems
    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #142
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I can guarantee that if you switched jobs and became a teacher, you'd be singing a different tune. You have absolutely zero concept of what it takes to do that job, yet you have no issues sharing a naive and bare-bones basic point of view.

    Oh boo freakin' hoo, cry me a damned river!

    No one forced you to become a teacher, YOU chose that profession. And IMO, many of today's teacher chose it because of the perks involved, and they thought it would be a cake walk. Now, you get into it and bitch because it isn't all berries and cream? Look, my job is hard as well, and I think it is worth more than what I am paid to do it, plus I don't think your whinny arse could do it.

    I didn't become a teacher because I don't have the temperament to deal with the kids on that level. I know my limitations. Problem is that many teachers that got into that field don't. And they stink at the job, but then are protected from being let go based on performance, while a teacher of the year is gone based on little more than time put in.

    Your job should be based on performance, and when you don't cut the mustard, buh bye now. Period!

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #143
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,476

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh boo freakin' hoo, cry me a damned river!

    No one forced you to become a teacher, YOU chose that profession. And IMO, many of today's teacher chose it because of the perks involved, and they thought it would be a cake walk. Now, you get into it and bitch because it isn't all berries and cream? Look, my job is hard as well, and I think it is worth more than what I am paid to do it, plus I don't think your whinny arse could do it.

    I didn't become a teacher because I don't have the temperament to deal with the kids on that level. I know my limitations. Problem is that many teachers that got into that field don't. And they stink at the job, but then are protected from being let go based on performance, while a teacher of the year is gone based on little more than time put in.

    Your job should be based on performance, and when you don't cut the mustard, buh bye now. Period!

    j-mac
    Maybe you should reconsider returning to school and becoming a teacher. If you care about the following generations.

    Of course there are bad apples and I bet every occupation here has bad apples. But too often people such as you use such a broad brush to paint teachers. My daughter is a teacher and I know for a fact she puts in far more hours than you paint. Is her job as hard as a bucker on a logging crew? No, and I doubt if your job is hard as one on a logging crew. But there are some tough jobs a teacher does that the logger doesn't have to deal with.
    She has busted her ass to get her students to improve their education and just two months ago stepped in to rescue one young boy from an abusive and neglected living arrangement that nobody around him stood up.

    I think a problem with our young in education does come a lot from the home. Americans don't seem to value educating the mind as much as other cultures. Look on any Saturday and you will see sports fields loaded with soccer, baseball, football, and basketball youth association games. Ever see a math/science club for youth gathering on a Saturday here in America? No, of course not. Check out the names of your physicians at your local clinic and see how many were raised here in our country.
    Last edited by Crosscheck; 06-17-12 at 10:21 AM.

  4. #144
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,457
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh boo freakin' hoo, cry me a damned river!

    No one forced you to become a teacher, YOU chose that profession. And IMO, many of today's teacher chose it because of the perks involved, and they thought it would be a cake walk. Now, you get into it and bitch because it isn't all berries and cream? Look, my job is hard as well, and I think it is worth more than what I am paid to do it, plus I don't think your whinny arse could do it.

    I didn't become a teacher because I don't have the temperament to deal with the kids on that level. I know my limitations. Problem is that many teachers that got into that field don't. And they stink at the job, but then are protected from being let go based on performance, while a teacher of the year is gone based on little more than time put in.

    Your job should be based on performance, and when you don't cut the mustard, buh bye now. Period!

    j-mac
    I am not a teacher. I just have a lot more common sense then you do. I also know some teachers and realize how hard they work. I also remember, since I was a student for all of my formative years. Are you that naive to think that teachers do not do extra curricular activities? Do you not think they have any prep work? Do you not think they have to grade papers and tests? Are you that naive to think that by 3:00 their day is done???? You know little to nothing about what you're bitching about.

    Problem is that many teachers that got into that field don't.
    Wow, really? Got numbers to back that up or is this something that you just pulled out of your ass?
    Last edited by Middleground; 06-17-12 at 10:31 AM.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  5. #145
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why is it that the students have no stake? Could it be the misguided practice of moving problem kids along through the grade system regardless of whether or not they have mastered the skill supposedly taught?

    You teachers helped create this monster, then want to sit back and not take ANY responsibility at all, but rather blame parents, blame even the minor student, but when it comes to the teachers responsibility I guess the answer is like the old sit com, Chico and the man, 'It's not my job, man!'

    Well it damned well IS your job, and you shirk your duties, and bitch and moan that $50K isn't enough money, and 10 weeks in the summer, with every conceivable holiday, along with at least 2 teacher 'in service' days per month, and to work at 7, GONE at 3 sharp is too much to ask in teaching the kids, and it's their fault?

    What a joke.

    People are fed the hell up with you lib public sector, pampered crybabies, and they aren't going to take much more of it I tell ya.

    j-mac
    So unfair to accuse teachers of shirking; most of them are among the most hard-working and dedicated professionals I know. And they take their work home with them, unlike those lucky enough to leave it at the office at closing time. None of my kids' teachers ever left at 3 sharp.

  6. #146
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No problem. Glad I could help you learn that the effects of the greatest recession since the Great Depression extended far beyond June, 2009.
    Thank goodness California's debt problems began in 2009...right? Its not like they had a problem overspending even pre-dating Grey Davis.

    I'm personally a little tired of all the whiny "its not our fault" rhetoric. Other states have managed to responsibly govern and fund their budgets appropriately. But if you insist on blaming the federal government and the democrats that controlled the budget since 2007 and caused this tragic 2009 recession which you blame for every problem in the world...so be it.
    Last edited by VanceMack; 06-17-12 at 11:22 AM.

  7. #147
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    It's always defense with you libs. One of the few Constitutional duties that government has, and you always want to eviscerate it, especially when you consider that entitlements make defense look like small potato's....



    j-mac
    Not only is national defense always the "massive federal spending" excuse, the left takes great pains in diguising "welfare" and "entitlement" spending as other budget items. We used to have HEW (Health, Education and Welfare) but that got too much attention, do it was "split" into DHHS and DOEd, making "welfare" simply seem to disappear. Take for example the recent "farm bill"; 80% of it was SNAP (food stamps) yet, it was still called the FARM bill, not the FOOD STAMP bill. Entitlement reform is ALWAYS about SS/Medicare, the programs that now generate a budget SURPLUS, yet never about welfare/medicaid that are the HUGE black holes in the federal budget that are PURE SPENDING.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 06-17-12 at 11:21 AM.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #148
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I am not a teacher. I just have a lot more common sense then you do. I also know some teachers and realize how hard they work. I also remember, since I was a student for all of my formative years. Are you that naive to think that teachers do not do extra curricular activities? Do you not think they have any prep work? Do you not think they have to grade papers and tests? Are you that naive to think that by 3:00 their day is done???? You know little to nothing about what you're bitching about.
    That applies to many if not the majority of occupations, yet when those other workers retire, they don't get the same perks nor tenure that teachers do. $100k pensions for a construction worker who retires at 55? Lots of people work very hard, have to do prep work and work 12+ hours a day. I could only WISH I had "tenure" could retire at 55 with $100k a year, healthcare coverage, etc. Problem is, I'd hate teaching..... I knew at least 3 teachers from my HS who hated teaching too but they stayed because of the perks. Where else would they get those types of benefits and retirement?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #149
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why is it that the students have no stake? Could it be the misguided practice of moving problem kids along through the grade system regardless of whether or not they have mastered the skill supposedly taught?

    You teachers helped create this monster, then want to sit back and not take ANY responsibility at all, but rather blame parents, blame even the minor student, but when it comes to the teachers responsibility I guess the answer is like the old sit com, Chico and the man, 'It's not my job, man!'

    Well it damned well IS your job, and you shirk your duties, and bitch and moan that $50K isn't enough money, and 10 weeks in the summer, with every conceivable holiday, along with at least 2 teacher 'in service' days per month, and to work at 7, GONE at 3 sharp is too much to ask in teaching the kids, and it's their fault?

    What a joke.

    People are fed the hell up with you lib public sector, pampered crybabies, and they aren't going to take much more of it I tell ya.

    j-mac
    You obviously have no idea at all what it's like to teach a class, so there's no point addressing yet again how "cushy" a teaching job is.

    As for holding kids back vs. social promotion, keeping them back has never, but never ever proven effective.

    The best way to raise test scores would be to give the test on line and give immediate feedback and an occasional reward of some sort for correct answers. Next would be to shorten the test. No ten year old likes to sit for hours taking a test, and most won't try after the first 20 minutes or so.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #150
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,457
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    That applies to many if not the majority of occupations, yet when those other workers retire, they don't get the same perks nor tenure that teachers do. $100k pensions for a construction worker who retires at 55? Lots of people work very hard, have to do prep work and work 12+ hours a day. I could only WISH I had "tenure" could retire at 55 with $100k a year, healthcare coverage, etc. Problem is, I'd hate teaching..... I knew at least 3 teachers from my HS who hated teaching too but they stayed because of the perks. Where else would they get those types of benefits and retirement?
    When someone retires after paying into a pension plan all of their working life, what the **** is wrong with that???

    PS. Construction workers, plumbers and electricians make a ton more than our teachers. At least here in Canada.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •