Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 368

Thread: Teacher of the year is laid off.

  1. #131
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,589

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Hmmm. From the menu page, the thread title reads "Teacher of the Year gets laid..." Imagine my disappointment.
    Come to think of it, getting laid off isn't a bad thing until you get to the last word.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-12 @ 01:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    232

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    "As a science teacher, I have an official budget, but that is usually gone by the beginning of the year,” says Hogue, who works in suburban Denver. “When I want to do a science lab, I usually pay for it all on my own.”

    Hogue is one of the millions of teachers across the country who are shelling out their own hard-earned cash to pay for books, pens, pencils and other basic supplies that schools have provided in the past.

    According to a new survey, teachers spent an average of $448 of their own money on instructional materials and school supplies for the 1998-99 school year.

    Teachers Spend Own Money for Supplies - ABC News
    I understand that most elementary school teachers purchase supplies out of their own money. However, there is no reason for it. It is not because of a funding problem for the district, it is an appropriations problem with the way the money they have is spent.

  3. #133
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You misunderstand a lot. I said I was saddened because he believed that.
    And you conveniently left out the next little sentence:

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley
    But, you are wrong.
    No...YOU were wrong. Get it yet? No misunderstanding... or are you going to deny you typed that? Fact is, YOU were wrong. Just suck it up - jeeze.


    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley
    Being declared underperforming by NCLB does not equal that it was under performing or a bad school or that there were issues with the teachers. NCLB was flawed from the begining and really could not and cannot tell us those things. So, you completely misunderstand the comment to begin with.
    The NCLB has clear performance standards. If declared as underperforming, those standards were not met. There are administrators and teachers and teachers unions all of whom it behooves to meet the standards. As I identified, some schools did not and were shut down. You're opinion of the NCLB's alleged flaws? Not relevant...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley
    Not sure that is exactly what I said.
    Good. So there are no teacher shortages. Glad you cleared that up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley
    Not sure how increasing size will help, and I haven't seen any evidence the problem was with the teachers.
    I never claimed it would help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley
    Like I said in the education forum, if that is what you want, don't try and fool people about teachers and choice. Neither will fix our problems.
    Until the reality of the problems become overwhelming, nothing will fix our problems. Schools can only control what is within their control. The Red Herring of parents and kids being the problem... have always existed. Schools are charged with teaching not just exemplary children, but difficult to teach children as well - its' a package deal you see. Blaming it on parents and kids... huge fail cop out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley
    I'm sorry, but that is not enough.
    It will have to be.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #134
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    And you conveniently left out the next little sentence:
    Keep reading. For meaning this time.

    No...YOU were wrong. Get it yet? No misunderstanding... or are you going to deny you typed that? Fact is, YOU were wrong. Just suck it up - jeeze.
    Still letting meaning elude you.

    The NCLB has clear performance standards. If declared as underperforming, those standards were not met. There are administrators and teachers and teachers unions all of whom it behooves to meet the standards. As I identified, some schools did not and were shut down. You're opinion of the NCLB's alleged flaws? Not relevant...
    No, it misses the mark. It cannot test what it pretends to test. Those Standardized tests do not tell us anything about teachers or schools. It presents a false representation.

    Good. So there are no teacher shortages. Glad you cleared that up.
    Again, read for meaning.


    I never claimed it would help.
    Which leaves us back to what good does closing the school do?

    Until the reality of the problems become overwhelming, nothing will fix our problems. Schools can only control what is within their control. The Red Herring of parents and kids being the problem... have always existed. Schools are charged with teaching not just exemplary children, but difficult to teach children as well - its' a package deal you see. Blaming it on parents and kids... huge fail cop out.
    When you remove responibility from one half of the equation, you can not longer expect to get honest results. If two sides of a bridge are falling, it will still fall if you only address one side (even if it is easier). NCLB not misdiagnoes the problem, but it doesn't even address the problem it pretends to address. You cannot test teachers by testing students, particularly when you tell them they have no stake in the test.

    It will have to be.
    Nothing from nothing is still nothing. You simply have not provided enough.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
    I understand that most elementary school teachers purchase supplies out of their own money. However, there is no reason for it. It is not because of a funding problem for the district, it is an appropriations problem with the way the money they have is spent.
    Somehow,. it isn't getting where it is needed.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #136
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody1447 View Post
    Right, so your argument is: National Republicans caused the recession because of focusing on "military hegemony and wealth tax cuts" (with zero proof provided). Therefore every state's budget deficit is the fault of the Republicans from 4 years ago. Keep taking the blue pill!
    Deregulation and supply side economics are what put us in the ditch. Some may believe that more of the same will get us out of the ditch, but I'm not buying it.
    Last edited by Catawba; 06-17-12 at 03:40 AM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #137
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,326

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Deregulation and supply side economics are what put us in the ditch. Some may believe that more of the same will get us out of the ditch, but I'm not buying it.
    Well, Keynesian wild spending haven't done ****, except add more debt in a shorter time frame than any other President, and would be for this administrations lying about the numbers, we have a worse economy to show for it.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #138
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,326

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    When you remove responibility from one half of the equation, you can not longer expect to get honest results. If two sides of a bridge are falling, it will still fall if you only address one side (even if it is easier). NCLB not misdiagnoes the problem, but it doesn't even address the problem it pretends to address. You cannot test teachers by testing students, particularly when you tell them they have no stake in the test.

    Why is it that the students have no stake? Could it be the misguided practice of moving problem kids along through the grade system regardless of whether or not they have mastered the skill supposedly taught?

    You teachers helped create this monster, then want to sit back and not take ANY responsibility at all, but rather blame parents, blame even the minor student, but when it comes to the teachers responsibility I guess the answer is like the old sit com, Chico and the man, 'It's not my job, man!'

    Well it damned well IS your job, and you shirk your duties, and bitch and moan that $50K isn't enough money, and 10 weeks in the summer, with every conceivable holiday, along with at least 2 teacher 'in service' days per month, and to work at 7, GONE at 3 sharp is too much to ask in teaching the kids, and it's their fault?

    What a joke.

    People are fed the hell up with you lib public sector, pampered crybabies, and they aren't going to take much more of it I tell ya.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #139
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, Keynesian wild spending haven't done ****, except add more debt in a shorter time frame than any other President, and would be for this administrations lying about the numbers, we have a worse economy to show for it.


    j-mac
    "Ballooning defense spending and substantial tax cuts beginning in the 1980s ushered in a new period of rising federal debt."
    U.S. Deficits and the National Debt - Council on Foreign Relations

    When people get serious about reducing the deficit, we will have to reverse that trend.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #140
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Why is it that the students have no stake? Could it be the misguided practice of moving problem kids along through the grade system regardless of whether or not they have mastered the skill supposedly taught?

    You teachers helped create this monster, then want to sit back and not take ANY responsibility at all, but rather blame parents, blame even the minor student, but when it comes to the teachers responsibility I guess the answer is like the old sit com, Chico and the man, 'It's not my job, man!'

    Well it damned well IS your job, and you shirk your duties, and bitch and moan that $50K isn't enough money, and 10 weeks in the summer, with every conceivable holiday, along with at least 2 teacher 'in service' days per month, and to work at 7, GONE at 3 sharp is too much to ask in teaching the kids, and it's their fault?

    What a joke.

    People are fed the hell up with you lib public sector, pampered crybabies, and they aren't going to take much more of it I tell ya.

    j-mac
    I can guarantee that if you switched jobs and became a teacher, you'd be singing a different tune. You have absolutely zero concept of what it takes to do that job, yet you have no issues sharing a naive and bare-bones basic point of view.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •