Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 368

Thread: Teacher of the year is laid off.

  1. #121
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,552

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    OK, I see your point.

    Now, what do you think it means when a ten year veteran in a district the size of Sacramento gets laid off as a reduction in force? Hint: Sacramento is not losing population.
    Let me guess: They need to raise taxes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    OK, I see your point.

    Now, what do you think it means when a ten year veteran in a district the size of Sacramento gets laid off as a reduction in force? Hint: Sacramento is not losing population.
    It means Calif is broke, broke, broke and now they have to pay the piper. The lesson here is, the longer you wait to fix your over spending the more draconian the cuts will eventually be.

  3. #123
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually, it has no meaning to what we were discussing.
    Because you were wrong... you quoted james and said he was wrong on two points of NCLB. Perhaps you shouldn't have said he was wrong when he wasn't. You made it part of the discussion.



    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    With who? There are not a lot of teachers out there.
    Can you source the teacher shortage please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We already have schools that can't get anyone. if this was a troubled school, well, it's not likely to have a lot of takers. And if you move them, you just move the problem.
    Schools will have to increase their classroom sizes to accommodate the closed schools then, or hire better teachers.


    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    To students. Believe it or not, students are part of the equation as learning is a two way street. And parents in to parents who care and are involved and demand effort from their children.
    While I'm sure some students do not want to learn or drop out, and parents may or may not have interest in the child's school and they have always existed. Perhaps shutting down a school is the best option if there is such a concentration of these children, such that they can be dispersed to other schools where their bad influence can be diluted.



    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    How do you know that?
    Because the other schools have not been shut down.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #124
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Because you were wrong... you quoted james and said he was wrong on two points of NCLB. Perhaps you shouldn't have said he was wrong when he wasn't. You made it part of the discussion.
    You misunderstand a lot. I said I was saddened because he believed that. Being declared underperforming by NCLB does not equal that it was under performing or a bad school or that there were issues with the teachers. NCLB was flawed from the begining and really could not and cannot tell us those things. So, you completely misunderstand the comment to begin with.

    Can you source the teacher shortage please?
    Not sure that is exactly what I said. I said some schools can't get teachers. It isn't due to a shortage. The area is not where teachers want to go. I witnessed this in Holly Springs Mississippi. I speak about it often here.

    Schools will have to increase their classroom sizes to accommodate the closed schools then, or hire better teachers.
    Not sure how increasing size will help, and I haven't seen any evidence the problem was with the teachers.

    While I'm sure some students do not want to learn or drop out, and parents may or may not have interest in the child's school and they have always existed. Perhaps shutting down a school is the best option if there is such a concentration of these children, such that they can be dispersed to other schools where their bad influence can be diluted.
    Like I said in the education forum, if that is what you want, don't try and fool people about teachers and choice. Neither will fix our problems.

    Because the other schools have not been shut down.
    I'm sorry, but that is not enough.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    I've been thinking about this grades thing.

    You know what my administrators tell me when I come to them about a failing student? They work with me to find ways for the students to NOT be failing tests. That includes giving them less questions on a test, different questions, etc. So their "grade" they get isn't a TRUE snapshot of what that child can do in the first grade. It's simply a dumbed down version so that the child "will have some success". It's no wonder we have over half of a class of 2nd graders that couldn't read this past year. Oy.
    I see that here, and while adminsitration passes it on to teachers, the force behind it is often parents.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #126
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,051

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't think this a republican / democrat thing. It is a we have to lay off teachers thing.
    Absolutely right.

    The first thing both parties do when it comes to "fixing" deficits or cutting budgets is slash the military and education. The military deals with it and continues to get paychecks. We will deploy with duct tape and make due to accomplish mission. But teachers get really screwed. How many teachers take money away from their own children so that they can spend it on school supplies that the underfunded schools should supply? How many of our children benefit from teachers buying paste and construction paper instead of taking their own children out to dinner or buy that extra Birthday gift? Neither Party holds a monopoly on this garbage. This is why Washington blows... - Our stewards will preach to us about what is important as they protect their pet projects and campaign financiers. Voters then go to the booths after the sermons hit home. Our politics have really become a religious experience that demands faith without the reward.

    C'mon...I'm a really good writer huh?
    Last edited by MSgt; 06-16-12 at 07:48 PM.

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  7. #127
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    Absolutely right.

    The first thing both parties do when it comes to "fixing" deficits or cutting budgets is slash the military and education. The military deals with it and continues to get paychecks. We will deploy with duct tape and make due to accomplish mission. But teachers get really screwed. How many teachers take money away from their own children so that they can spend it on school supplies that the underfunded schools should supply? How many of our children benefit from teachers buying paste and construction paper instead of taking their own children out to dinner or buy that extra Birthday gift? Neither Party holds a monopoly on this garbage. This is why Washington blows - our stewards will preach to us about what is important while protecting their pet projects and campaign financiers. And voters go to the booths....
    Amen brother. Amen.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-12 @ 01:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    232

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    Absolutely right.

    The first thing both parties do when it comes to "fixing" deficits or cutting budgets is slash the military and education. The military deals with it and continues to get paychecks. We will deploy with duct tape and make due to accomplish mission. But teachers get really screwed. How many teachers take money away from their own children so that they can spend it on school supplies that the underfunded schools should supply? How many of our children benefit from teachers buying paste and construction paper instead of taking their own children out to dinner or buy that extra Birthday gift? Neither Party holds a monopoly on this garbage. This is why Washington blows... - Our stewards will preach to us about what is important as they protect their pet projects and campaign financiers. Voters then go to the booths after the sermons hit home. Our politics have really become a religious experience that demands faith without the reward.

    C'mon...I'm a really good writer huh?
    There is more than enough money invested into education in this country. If your children is going without paper or a teacher is purchasing construction paper without being refunded it is not because of a funding issue. It is an appropriations issue at the local, state and federal level. At what point do you realizing that throwing money at the issue has not solved issues of running out of construction paper? Kids have been "running out of paper" in schools for a long time. During this time cost per pupil has gone up 20-25% in America. And in the last 25 years it has gone up well over 50%. More money isn't a solution. Accountability for the money that is given is. Odds are your local school district has plenty of money to education your children with all the supplies they need and to do so at an above average level internationally. If they are not performing, they are failing you. And rather than throwing money at them you should hold them accountable.
    Last edited by Comfort Food; 06-16-12 at 08:02 PM.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
    There is more than enough money invested into education in this country. If your children is going without paper or a teacher is purchasing construction paper without being refunded it is not because of a funding issue. It is an appropriations issue at the local, state and federal level. At what point do you realizing that throwing money at the issue has not solved issues of running out of construction paper? Kids have been "running out of paper" in schools for a long time. During this time cost per pupil has gone up 20-25% in America. And in the last 25 years it has gone up well over 50%. More money isn't a solution. Accountability for the money that is given is. Odds are your local school district has plenty of money to education your children with all the supplies they need and to do so at an above average level internationally. If they are not performing, they are failing you. And rather than throwing money at them you should hold them accountable.
    "As a science teacher, I have an official budget, but that is usually gone by the beginning of the year,” says Hogue, who works in suburban Denver. “When I want to do a science lab, I usually pay for it all on my own.”

    Hogue is one of the millions of teachers across the country who are shelling out their own hard-earned cash to pay for books, pens, pencils and other basic supplies that schools have provided in the past.

    According to a new survey, teachers spent an average of $448 of their own money on instructional materials and school supplies for the 1998-99 school year.

    Teachers Spend Own Money for Supplies - ABC News

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-12 @ 01:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    232

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    OK, I see your point.

    Now, what do you think it means when a ten year veteran in a district the size of Sacramento gets laid off as a reduction in force? Hint: Sacramento is not losing population.
    It goes by department. For example, if she were a Latin teacher and the school cut the Latin program she'd get laid off. It doesn't mean that there are no teachers with less than 10 years experience working at the district. What it means is that they did away with her position.

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •