Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 368

Thread: Teacher of the year is laid off.

  1. #91
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    According to the article the layoffs are based purely on seniority, not performance. So if any poor performing teachers were let go before Michelle Apperson it was due to the fact they had less seniority that Michelle Apperson, not because they were lousy teachers.
    The article does not go into detail. In fact, it doesn't say exactly what you seem to think it says. She merely states the policy, and never uses the word soley. Nor does she discuss poor performing teachers. They laid off, what was it, 110 teachers. It is unrealistic to think there were 110 poor performing teachers. There may have been a hand full, tops. So, it then becomes simply following policy after that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Your making it seem harder than what it really is. Student grades and test scores would be a determining factor. The students of a lousy teacher will have lousy grades and test scores.
    Only if all students are exactly same. Any one who has taught knows that they are different from one classroom to the enxt, even when taught by the same teacher. This type of illogical thinking is what led to NCLB, a criminally stupid bit of legislation.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #93
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Yes. Its the fault of that teacher and the fault of every teacher and school administrator responsible for passing failing students. I do not know about the schools in your state but most of the schools in my state the students have different teachers for different subjects even in some of the elementary schools. So its not just one teacher being responsible for all the grades and test scores that all her students make.
    I would agree that it's the fault of the administration for passing failing kids.


  4. #94
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,073

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The article does not go into detail. In fact, it doesn't say exactly what you seem to think it says. She merely states the policy, and never uses the word soley.
    You are ignoring facts.Read the article. For someone who claims to be a teacher reading comprehension seems to not be your strong suit.


    Sacramento
    School spokesperson Gabe Ross told News 10 that who gets laid off is mandated by state law and is based on seniority, not performance.


    [QUOTE] Nor does she discuss poor performing teachers.[/QUOTE
    See above.Considering the teachers being laid off is based on seniority why would they discuss poor performing teachers?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #95
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,073

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Only if all students are exactly same. Any one who has taught knows that they are different from one classroom to the enxt, even when taught by the same teacher. This type of illogical thinking is what led to NCLB, a criminally stupid bit of legislation.


    NCLB has a lot of great things in it like firing lousy teachers, closing underperforming schools, and school choice.Most people against NCLB seem to be against firing lousy teachers and closing lousy schools. Are you a lemon, have you ever gone to the rubber room? I ask because you seem to have a habit of defending tenure and lousy teachers, so one has to wonder if you are merely protecting your golden goose.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 06-16-12 at 03:14 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #96
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    NCLB has a lot of great things in it like firing lousy teachers, closing underperforming schools, and school choice.Most people against NCLB seem to be against firing lousy teachers and closing lousy schools.
    It saddens me that anyone would believe this James. But, you are wrong. However it does explain a few things in this conversation.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    You are ignoring facts.Read the article. For someone who claims to be a teacher reading comprehension seems to not be your strong suit.


    Sacramento
    School spokesperson Gabe Ross told News 10 that who gets laid off is mandated by state law and is based on seniority, not performance.


    Nor does she discuss poor performing teachers.
    See above.Considering the teachers being laid off is based on seniority why would they discuss poor performing teachers?
    I'm not denying that. The word sorely is not in the comment. Sorry. You ahve not effectively disputed what I said.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #98
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,073

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It saddens me that anyone would believe this James. But, you are wrong. However it does explain a few things in this conversation.
    Why would it sadden you to fire lousy teachers and close under performing schools and to let children in under performing schools go to better schools? I would think lousy teachers and schools would give the teaching profession a bad name. You should be opposed to teachers who tarnish your profession.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Surely there was another teacher that didn't preform as well as her that could have been laid off instead.
    See post #2

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Teacher of the year is laid off.

    If ever ANYTHING argued for getting rid of teachers unions, this is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •