Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: The Worst Restaurants to Work For

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: The Worst Restaurants to Work For

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    ...you have GOT to be kidding.
    No...

    ...if you're not getting laid after eating, then you obviously have a bad imagination.

    Whether that means you didn't help cook or have no idea where your food came from is another story, but the point is eating is one of the closest acts you can have with someone else. If it doesn't lead to having a good time, you're doing it wrong.

  2. #12
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    Re: The Worst Restaurants to Work For

    Quote Originally Posted by GJ Flash View Post
    I managed a unionized food and beverage operation once, at a sports arena where the local hockey and basketball teams play.

    We could only promote employees based on seniority, and never based on skill, work ethic, or production. If I had a great employee who wanted to learn how to be a bartender, she couldn't. Seniority, you see. I had a couple employees who liked to assault their co-workers. Sometimes I'd send them home (with full pay of course), sometimes I had them arrested. They couldn't be fired, of course. I had one employee who had a phobia for toilet paper and would return from his bathroom breaks with visible feces on his hands. He refused to wash his hands, and he couldn't be fired because he had been with the union for more than 10 years. Would you like extra poo on your hot dog today? No problem.

    Oh yeah, those poo-flavored hot dogs were $8.50. Welcome to a unionized restaurant.

    Unions have no place in businesses where safety, performance, and quality are factors.
    I'm sorry, but I have to call that into question. Seriously, who the f___ is afraid of toilet paper?
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  3. #13
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,941
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: The Worst Restaurants to Work For

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    If you offer 5 paid sick days...
    Paid or no, sick food handlers should not be handling food. Whether the workers get paid or not for staying home when they're sick, they should be sent home.
    I may be wrong.

  4. #14
    Student GJ Flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    196
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Worst Restaurants to Work For

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have to call that into question. Seriously, who the f___ is afraid of toilet paper?
    Don't be sorry, I know it sounds like an exaggeration. He was also afraid of paper towels, the paper hats everyone else had to wear, even the cash register recepts. Not an uncommon disorder, I understand.

    I'm not exaggerating, though. I'm not going to tell you about the sores on his face and arms (and I'm assuming everywhere else) that constantly oozed pus, or the fact that his hair was so greasy and dandruffied (sp?) that he looked like he had grey hair even though he was fairly young, or the fact that he wore the same pants, with the same stains in the same places for months at a time, or the fact that we would have to instruct the cashiers to tell customers that we were out of food, so sorry, if he was working the grill (or any of the food handling positions), or that sometimes he stunk so badly we would just send him home, with pay (8 hours' worth), just so we could breathe. Then you'd really think I was exaggerating.

    My point was, I tired to fire him four different times. Once was for refusing to wash his hands after using the bathroom (14 documented warnings). Once was for assaulting another employee (arrested, charged, and convicted). It wasn't until the assaulted employee threatened to sue the company for forcing her to work next to her attacker that we were finally able to get rid of him.

    Money trumped the union, and both trumped public health and safety. Nice system we have there, unions. Let's do that in more places.
    Last edited by GJ Flash; 06-16-12 at 02:57 PM.

  5. #15
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: The Worst Restaurants to Work For

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The Worst Restaurants to Work For | Work + Money - Yahoo! Shine



    Race based wage discrepancies, sick workers contaminating food for the rest of us and no social mobility. Welcome to the union free future everyone.
    So, instead of bettering themselves, learning a new trade that pays more, or going to college and getting an education, someone needs to come in and make things better for them? How much should a short order cook, or a dishwasher make?

    I'm thinking that anyone who doesn't like their two-bit resturant job should do something about it. If they don't have the ambition to do that, then they need to play the hand they were dealt and STFU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #16
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: The Worst Restaurants to Work For

    Quote Originally Posted by GJ Flash View Post
    I managed a unionized food and beverage operation once, at a sports arena where the local hockey and basketball teams play.

    We could only promote employees based on seniority, and never based on skill, work ethic, or production. If I had a great employee who wanted to learn how to be a bartender, she couldn't. Seniority, you see. I had a couple employees who liked to assault their co-workers. Sometimes I'd send them home (with full pay of course), sometimes I had them arrested. They couldn't be fired, of course. I had one employee who had a phobia for toilet paper and would return from his bathroom breaks with visible feces on his hands. He refused to wash his hands, and he couldn't be fired because he had been with the union for more than 10 years. Would you like extra poo on your hot dog today? No problem.

    Oh yeah, those poo-flavored hot dogs were $8.50. Welcome to a unionized restaurant.

    Unions have no place in businesses where safety, performance, and quality are factors.
    To be honest, I think you're only 66.6% right on that one. The one thing I can compliment unions on, is that they do create and enforce safety rules and procedures on the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #17
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,747

    Re: The Worst Restaurants to Work For

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    And? I worked in the restaurant industry for 5 years at 3 different restaurants. Most don't offer paid sick leave and race has little to do with it.

    And as far as opportunities and positions. Well, thats where you start and communications abilities could further impede advancement. Are you going to make someone a manager who speaks little or broken English?
    Sure. It would make handling complaints easier. Just say "No hablo". LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  8. #18
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: The Worst Restaurants to Work For

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I worked 5 years as a busboy, server, front manager, etc. When I was sick, I said so - I can't think of a single instance where I was told to stay and work when I had a potentially infectious disease. The last thing anyone needs is for a negative story on the restaurant like that getting out. Every manager knows like it was tattoo'd on his face that people will typically tell at least three times as many people about a bad dining experience as a good one. I am... suspicious that this would be more than anything but a case of isolated, stupid managers.
    Granted, I am older than you, and thus my experience is a bit more dated, but I also have several years of restaurant experience from my younger days, and in my experience and observations it is your experience and observations that are the isolated cases. The ONLY times an employee would be to *told* to go home was in only the most extreme scenarios. And even then most employees would fight going home because they were low-wage employees who needed the money and every dollar counted. It wasn't ideal, and everybody knew it, but it was hard reality.

    In one job I instantly went from the store manager's favorite cook to the bottom of her list because I had the audacity to take 5 days off (with a doctor's note) when I contacted mono. Seriously. I was expected to ignore the doctor's advice and work anyway. And while that one instance is extreme in the other direction, I worked in enough different places to know that that mindset was the norm, not the exception.

    I read the story and thought about how sheltered and naive people are when they act shocked that this happens. It is far more common than people want to think.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #19
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: The Worst Restaurants to Work For

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    If you offer 5 paid sick days, how many employees will use less than 5? OK, now what happens on sick day #6? The idea that sick leave makes people not come to work when they are sick, is great in theory but not in practice. Even if the leave was pooled, so that those that needed it could use it even for a two week illness, and those that did not need it would be less likely to simply "fake" it, it still would likely not work as planned. Many use ANY leave as simply a given, likely to go to work when sick and use the sick days when they feel fine, but don't like the assigned shift or have an opportunity to go fishing, go to a party or see a sporting event. Any boss that would fire a worker for missing a day or two while sick, is a moron that you won't miss working for anyway.
    A great many people in these jobs are also people who are younger and/or haven't fully developed responsibility traits yet, and will often abuse the idea of sick leave and take sick days for hangover, or even just because they were too tired after playing games online all night. Then, when they really get sick, they'd have nothing left to lean back on anyway.


    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    Lone restaurants shouldn't be legal. Eating is supposed to lead to intimacy, so you should have to have a hotel or inn on the side.

    If every restaurant was organized like that, I doubt workers would ever be treated poorly.
    I almost never understand anything you say. This is one of those times.


    Quote Originally Posted by GJ Flash View Post
    I managed a unionized food and beverage operation once, at a sports arena where the local hockey and basketball teams play.

    We could only promote employees based on seniority, and never based on skill, work ethic, or production. If I had a great employee who wanted to learn how to be a bartender, she couldn't. Seniority, you see. I had a couple employees who liked to assault their co-workers. Sometimes I'd send them home (with full pay of course), sometimes I had them arrested. They couldn't be fired, of course. I had one employee who had a phobia for toilet paper and would return from his bathroom breaks with visible feces on his hands. He refused to wash his hands, and he couldn't be fired because he had been with the union for more than 10 years. Would you like extra poo on your hot dog today? No problem.

    Oh yeah, those poo-flavored hot dogs were $8.50. Welcome to a unionized restaurant.

    Unions have no place in businesses where safety, performance, and quality are factors.
    In a scenario like that, if I were the manager, I would have called the health department and reported it as an anonymous tip, and let them fight it out with the union.

    I disagree with your conclusion in your last sentence, though. But, I do feel that it is stuff like this... defending the ethically and morally indefensible... is why unions have lost so much respect and clout in today's society.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #20
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: The Worst Restaurants to Work For

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Granted, I am older than you, and thus my experience is a bit more dated, but I also have several years of restaurant experience from my younger days, and in my experience and observations it is your experience and observations that are the isolated cases. The ONLY times an employee would be to *told* to go home was in only the most extreme scenarios. And even then most employees would fight going home because they were low-wage employees who needed the money and every dollar counted. It wasn't ideal, and everybody knew it, but it was hard reality.
    that bolded is still true - no one liked getting sent home when your income counted. But again, I don't recall ever walking up to the boss and saying "boss, I'm sick, and I need to go" without him either A) sending me home or B) assigning me someone else's non-food service tasks (okay, take over cleaning the parking lot and I'll have Jim wash up and replace you as busboy) to do before going home. He has a business to run, and that business, while requiring labor, also requires keeping a good reputation if it is going to survive.

    In one job I instantly went from the store manager's favorite cook to the bottom of her list because I had the audacity to take 5 days off (with a doctor's note) when I contacted mono. Seriously. I was expected to ignore the doctor's advice and work anyway. And while that one instance is extreme in the other direction, I worked in enough different places to know that that mindset was the norm, not the exception.
    then your boss was an idiot. I only worked in 4 restaurants, admittedly, but if you had something like mono, (or a cold, or the flu) you went the F home and don't talk too close to me while you're here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •