Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids

  1. #1
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,073

    Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids

    Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids | WREG.com — Memphis News & Weather from WREG Television, News Channel 3

    (Memphis) Latoya Shields says she had to sit down when she heard the news, “During the whole relationship, I only knew of four children.”

    When a prosecutor told her that the father of her child had 20 other children she said her knees buckled, “At that time, three years ago, my child was the 21st child. Yeah, that would be overwhelming for anybody.”
    This is obviously an extreme example, but this is the singularly most damaging culprit to American society today. Virtually every ill of society can be traced back to the collapse of the American family structure.

    No longer is the family valued like it once was. Divorce and having children out of wedlock used to carry a stigma. Then it became passe and accepted. Now it's become almost championed and celebrated, particularly in Hollywood and the entertainment business at large, which carries a huge influence over people from these types of situations.

    Meanwhile, some prominent circles scorn marriage as unnecessary and needy and the result of too much religious influence. Having a wife and two kids and going to church on Sunday used to be the exemplary life to lead. Now it makes you a radical right wing religious zealot (who's probably a racist, too.)

    We have to stop enabling and making excuses for this type of behavior and decision-making.

  2. #2
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids

    The "African American family" is a myth made up by right wing opportunists.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #3
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,032

    Re: Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The "African American family" is a myth made up by right wing opportunists.
    Why the African-American" statement? I saw nothing in the OP narrative pointing to it. A general statement of "This is obviously an extreme example, but this is the singularly most damaging culprit to American society today. Virtually every ill of society can be traced back to the collapse of the American family structure."

    The OP is correct that the family structure has changed over the years in America.
    As far as the "man" fathering so many children. He should be held accountable towards the welfare of his children. As far as the "women", they should be held accountable for their part. Having sex does carry the risk of becoming pegnant. Hopefully the children will be taken care of and the taxpayers won't get stuck with the bill.
    Last edited by mike2810; 06-14-12 at 06:12 PM.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Why the African-American" statement?
    Because the "family" in question is headed by an African American man, and my guess is "Letoyah" also happens to be black. Again, the OP is wrong because the African-American "family" has NEVER existed in any significant way.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #5
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,032

    Re: Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Because the "family" in question is headed by an African American man, and my guess is "Letoyah" also happens to be black. Again, the OP is wrong because the African-American "family" has NEVER existed in any significant way.
    I thought that is what you would say. I took it not so much from the linked article, but from the OP's narrative. IMO, Erod's statement applies to America, regardless of race.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I thought that is what you would say. I took it not so much from the linked article, but from the OP's narrative. IMO, Erod's statement applies to America, regardless of race.
    It doesn't to black America. Whenever you've written a paper on the black family or done any sociological research into the matter, you're more than welcome to come back and debate the issue.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #7
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,032

    Re: Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It doesn't to black America. Whenever you've written a paper on the black family or done any sociological research into the matter, you're more than welcome to come back and debate the issue.
    Didn't know that a a prereq. to voice an opinion on a debate site.
    I'll keep that in mind in the future. Oh and where is your supporting evidence to your statement? I bet its just opinion.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids | WREG.com — Memphis News & Weather from WREG Television, News Channel 3



    This is obviously an extreme example, but this is the singularly most damaging culprit to American society today. Virtually every ill of society can be traced back to the collapse of the American family structure.

    No longer is the family valued like it once was. Divorce and having children out of wedlock used to carry a stigma. Then it became passe and accepted. Now it's become almost championed and celebrated, particularly in Hollywood and the entertainment business at large, which carries a huge influence over people from these types of situations.

    Meanwhile, some prominent circles scorn marriage as unnecessary and needy and the result of too much religious influence. Having a wife and two kids and going to church on Sunday used to be the exemplary life to lead. Now it makes you a radical right wing religious zealot (who's probably a racist, too.)

    We have to stop enabling and making excuses for this type of behavior and decision-making.
    Oddly, as the "american family" has collapsed, we have become and have stayed the most powerful, most influential nation in the world, our standard of living has gone up, our level of education has gone up, our lifespan has increased, we have had more and better things, people are generally happy.

    So wait, what was your point?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Why the African-American" statement? I saw nothing in the OP narrative pointing to it. A general statement of "This is obviously an extreme example, but this is the singularly most damaging culprit to American society today. Virtually every ill of society can be traced back to the collapse of the American family structure."

    The OP is correct that the family structure has changed over the years in America.
    As far as the "man" fathering so many children. He should be held accountable towards the welfare of his children. As far as the "women", they should be held accountable for their part. Having sex does carry the risk of becoming pegnant. Hopefully the children will be taken care of and the taxpayers won't get stuck with the bill.
    What a load of SHOULD and HOPEFULLY. Out-of-wedlock childbirth rates: black 70%, hispanic 50% and white 30%. The father, but obviously not a daddy, in this case has a single low wage job and no reason to ever change that. You can bet that each and every one of these children is or will be geting public assitance for a decade at least.

    The family "structure" changed MAINLY because of the welfare "rules". Even the name of the AFDC program is INSANE; Aid for Families with Dependent Children. What do you NEED to qualify? Not a job - forget that low wage slaving for minimum wage. Not an education - why go to school, they give you job training later, live it up while you're on mamas check. Not even a spouse - nope, especially if they have a job, it cuts the benefits. Definitely a child - in fact a few, the more kids you have the bigger the check and assigned housing is.

    Once daddy (especially if he works) became a liability or a "useless" asset (makes less than the welfare benefit amount) but bearing children became an "occupation" that sustains a lifestyle of at least the level of TWO full-time, minimum wage jobs PLUS provides free medical care, that "traditional family" was no longer the "modern" way to live; the great loafing class was born. A good book on this subject is "Losing Ground" by Charles Murray.

    Not only will the taxpayers "help" rasie 30 more babies, daddy does not even got to jail, nope that is "just us" in the new USA. They are entitiled, you see, because they were born into a very rich country that allows slavery. A country that taxes wages to support UNLIMITTED out-of-wedlock childbirth, has indeed enslaved the workforce. No more charity, that is SO yesterday, the modern way is to DEMAND that gov't ENTITLEMENT; "dis ain't no hand out, dis be a right!" just axe dem.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #10
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Memphis Man Owes Child Support to 15 Women; Has 20+ Kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Oddly, as the "american family" has collapsed, we have become and have stayed the most powerful, most influential nation in the world, our standard of living has gone up, our level of education has gone up, our lifespan has increased, we have had more and better things, people are generally happy.

    So wait, what was your point?
    Sure everything is just peachy, we are at least a decade away from being like Greece. Median income is dropping, out-of-wedlock child birth is the new American family, welfare is good, SNAP buys the food, illegals keep the wages down and Obama says we are doing "fine". I see nothing worth worrying about, lets take a cruise and put it on the credit card, even better times are comming. Let's all spend 40% more than that cheesy boss pays us every year, just like the government does. USA, USA, USA...
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •