Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: White student returns scholarship money meant for black students only

  1. #31
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,730
    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You could be chinese and have a blacks only scholarship.
    I meant, if you're half black/white, could you receive the blacks only scholarship?

  2. #32
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: White student returns scholarship money meant for black students only

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    The Whites Only Scholarship was founded in 2004 by Jason Mattera, a Roger Williams University student and member of the school Republican Party.

    "A student group at Roger Williams University is offering a new scholarship for which only white students are eligible, in a move they say is designed to protest affirmative action. The application for the $250 award requires an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness." "Evidence of bleaching will disqualify applicants," says the application, issued by the university's College Republicans."
    Students promote 'whites only' award - Boston.com
    Ah yes, let the games begin. This can get quite interesting. ;-)
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #33
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: White student returns scholarship money meant for black students only

    All scholarships should be awarded strictly based upon merit, achievement and economic hardship. I hate admission/scholarship being based on gender, race, religion and yes, sports ability.

    I realize that will never happen. But it is what should happen.

  4. #34
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: White student returns scholarship money meant for black students only

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    And just what do YOU base that on?
    The facts

    If I own a bar, it is my OPTION to comp a drink or reduce the price (by contributing my own funds to the register) to anyone I feel like.
    No, it's not your option. It's a crime

    If my "feelings" of generousity are racially based, as is the scholarship in question, then what is the difference in your great legal mind?
    The Civil Rights Act
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #35
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    The Whites Only Scholarship was founded in 2004 by Jason Mattera, a Roger Williams University student and member of the school Republican Party.

    "A student group at Roger Williams University is offering a new scholarship for which only white students are eligible, in a move they say is designed to protest affirmative action. The application for the $250 award requires an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness." "Evidence of bleaching will disqualify applicants," says the application, issued by the university's College Republicans."
    Students promote 'whites only' award - Boston.com
    Is there really anything wrong with that? If a white person is proud of the people of his own skin color, he can give a scholarship exclusively to people of his own skin color, can he not? What's the big fuss over that? Just like black people can give scholarships exclusively to people of their own skin color.

    I'm not against any race giving scholarships exclusively to their own skin color.

  6. #36
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: White student returns scholarship money meant for black students only

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I never charged a different price, as that is illegal, I provided a gift to my white customer by placing my own funds in the register (making the drink cost unchanged) and paying all taxes due on the entire drink purchase price, as the law requires. I am simply making a gift offer based on race, just as this scholarship offer does. ;-)
    The Civil RIghts act forbids that
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #37
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: White student returns scholarship money meant for black students only

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I meant, if you're half black/white, could you receive the blacks only scholarship?
    I would guess that you could
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #38
    Professor
    00timh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    upstate NY
    Last Seen
    01-24-14 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,318

    Re: White student returns scholarship money meant for black students only

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Oh really? So if I have a private business I can have special white prices? I can start a white college fund?
    Legally you should be able to, since minority businesses can and do. But we all know the reality of this.

  9. #39
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: White student returns scholarship money meant for black students only

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Is there really anything wrong with that? If a white person is proud of the people of his own skin color, he can give a scholarship exclusively to people of his own skin color, can he not? What's the big fuss over that? Just like black people can give scholarships exclusively to people of their own skin color.

    I'm not against any race giving scholarships exclusively to their own skin color.
    Nothing wrong with it, but if the white student is smart enough to get the scholarship, I'm guessing they're smart enough to know not to put that on their application to college
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #40
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,730
    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I would guess that you could
    But, you wouldn't be black only, so I'm not so sure, and that's why I wonder.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •