Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 206

Thread: Texas Dad Beats Daughter's Molester to Death: Cops

  1. #11
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    What he did was nothing compared to what I would do to someone who hurt one of my babies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    I'm with you there sister.

    I'd make the bastard wish he'd never been born.

    Can't fault the guy for what he did.
    It's hard to fault him. But at the same time, if you go to prison for killing the abuser, you can't be involved with your child's healing process personally or on a daily basis. I think it's normal for a parent to want to harm somebody whom harms their child. But when the parent is in prison, I think it's equally normal that they wish they weren't there. They probably wish they were with their child protecting them or even calming them down at 2 am when they have nightmares.

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

    Again, not all the facts are known yet. But IF this happened as has been reported so far, the father isn't going to go to prison. Let's see what the grand jury decides.

  3. #13
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,295
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    It's hard to fault him. But at the same time, if you go to prison for killing the abuser, you can't be involved with your child's healing process personally or on a daily basis. I think it's normal for a parent to want to harm somebody whom harms their child. But when the parent is in prison, I think it's equally normal that they wish they weren't there. They probably wish they were with their child protecting them or even calming them down at 2 am when they have nightmares.
    It is a good point and speaks to human falibility.

    Logically you're right.

    Emotionally of course we get overwhelmed.

  4. #14
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    It is a good point and speaks to human falibility.

    Logically you're right.

    Emotionally of course we get overwhelmed.
    No doubt. My heart totally goes out to the guy. I'd probably do the same thing in that situation and I hope he doesn't face legal repercussions for doing it. And realistically, I'm sure he won't. Or, at most, he'll get a slap on the wrist. But as you point out, SheWolf is right. We shouldn't idealize this guy, we should sympathize with him and prepare ourselves to do better if, god forbid, we're ever in that situation. Pulling the guy off, beating him to within an inch of his life, but not past that point, and making sure he faces the full consequences of the law would ultimately be a better outcome. Frankly, it'd probably be worse for him that way. Child rapists face 20 years of extraordinary torture in prison. Maybe that's even a fate worse than death. Say what you will about inmates, they make sure guys like that get what's coming to them and then some.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  5. #15
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    That's the baseline, yes, but it doesn't necessarily cover what this guy did. Once he got to the point where his daughter is no longer in physical danger he didn't really have any legally defensible right to continue to beat the guy. Don't get me wrong, the guy deserved a beating, but it wasn't necessarily lawful.
    You cannot assume the man went too far in defense of his daughter. It's an absurd position. There should be no doubt in the mans mind of his actions defending her. In a scenario like this, if there is no way to prove he went too far, assume he didn't.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

    Legally speaking, I am against the death penalty, even for the worst offenders. As an individual, I likely would have done the same thing this father did. There are certain emotions that just plain overrule everything else.

    I donít know enough details to know if the act was justified. I mean, if the guy was knocked unconscious and no longer posed a risk, and the father continued to beat him with the intent to kill him, it could be argued he used excessive force. Once again, Iím not saying I wouldnít have done any different. I am sure his compromised emotional state would be taken into account and whatever the prosecutor does or doesnít do, I canít see a jury convicting the guy.

  7. #17
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter - CNN.com


    Damn. Hard to blame the guy. But I have to wonder if he will eventually get charged. Being that it is Texas, I would guess not.
    punched him in the head repeatedly, killing him, authorities said.
    Those who do not believe that punching someone repeatedly in the head won't kill him....or do serious bodily harm

    Think again. Punches/fist to the head...KILL

  8. #18
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,295
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Child rapists face 20 years of extraordinary torture in prison.
    Well that would depend on where he gets put.

    I know a girl who was raped by her Stepfather from the time she was 7-11 and he's been put away pretty much for life but he's been put in a special ward with other sex offenders.

  9. #19
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,505

    Re: Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No doubt. My heart totally goes out to the guy. I'd probably do the same thing in that situation and I hope he doesn't face legal repercussions for doing it. And realistically, I'm sure he won't. Or, at most, he'll get a slap on the wrist. But as you point out, SheWolf is right. We shouldn't idealize this guy, we should sympathize with him and prepare ourselves to do better if, god forbid, we're ever in that situation. Pulling the guy off, beating him to within an inch of his life, but not past that point, and making sure he faces the full consequences of the law would ultimately be a better outcome. Frankly, it'd probably be worse for him that way. Child rapists face 20 years of extraordinary torture in prison. Maybe that's even a fate worse than death. Say what you will about inmates, they make sure guys like that get what's coming to them and then some.
    I read about a somebody sentenced to prison for doing this very thing. He killed the abuser after the abuser was not convicted based on insufficient evidence, so that might make a difference... but it's hard to tell.

  10. #20
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    That's the baseline, yes, but it doesn't necessarily cover what this guy did. Once he got to the point where his daughter is no longer in physical danger he didn't really have any legally defensible right to continue to beat the guy. Don't get me wrong, the guy deserved a beating, but it wasn't necessarily lawful.
    Well, we don't really know what happened. There are people who fall, bump there head on a wood floor in just the right place, and just die. For all we know the guy just landed a strong enough blow in the right place. Or, possibly, he beat the piss out of the guy for an hour. That's an option too.

    But either way, there's a problem with siding with the technical wording of the law here. In the moment, when someone is raping your daughter, or your partner, or you, or trying to kill you, or whatever else, when the hell do you know they're no longer a threat? When do you know someone capable of that much evil is no longer a threat?

    As far as I'm concerned, I'm not willing to take that chance until they're no longer showing any ability to move. And I think anyone with an intact sense of fight or flight would think the same. In reality, the "no longer able to move" standard is where a lot of people stop, because it's the only time it makes sense to stop.

    All this legalise is great in the theoretical, but in real life, how do you say to someone who's just been violently attacked, or watched someone they love who is defenseless get attacked, "you really should have stopped once he was no longer actively raping her?"

    You don't, because that's insane. If someone like that is still standing, or in any way capable of standing or even crawling, they're still a threat to anyone with half an ounce of sense in their head. He could have attacked the father. He could have taken the girl hostage. These are all things he could still do when he was no longer actively raping her, and therefore "not an immediate threat."

    You can say that doesn't hold up in law, and maybe in a technical sense that's true, but in reality people frequently face no charges for doing something that's technically illegal because the law frankly makes no sense in the real world, with the way real people are wired to behave in these situations, with the way predators are in the real world.

    Someone who is capable of raping a 4-year-old is capable of just about anything, and you'd have to be an idiot or just as big of a psycho yourself to stop short of "no longer capable of moving." People know that, even if the law doesn't.

    Telling someone they should stop shy of well and truly laying someone out is telling them that they should sacrifice their own safety or those of their loved ones in order to mitigate the risk of harm to a violent predator. Talk about having ones priorities mixed up.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-12-12 at 03:53 AM.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •