Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 134

Thread: 90 Percent of Chicago Teachers Authorize Strike

  1. #121
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: 90 Percent of Chicago Teachers Authorize Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    That's not accurate. It's pretty obvious that you read one article, the OP, about this situation and decided to make a blanket statement about it. Since you aren't interested in doing your own research, I'll do it for you. Here's what CTU wants their contract to address, much of which directly affects students. In fact, they have a question specifically directed a people like you:



    So no, the contract isn't just about how much they are getting paid. Fail.

    I find it stunning that you actually posted the portion of the article you did obviously without even reading it past the part you wanted to highlight disingenuously. The reason I say that is because you claimed 'fail' because you said that it wasn't just about pay, when the very next paragraph of what you posted but didn't highlight says otherwise, here I'll highlight it for you....

    Quote Originally Posted by from thePlayDrive's article
    Wages and benefits are important parts of labor agreements. The upcoming July 15 report will primarily address some of the CTU’s wage and benefits concerns. The CTU has requested a negotiable 29% pay increase over two years in the first round of bargaining. Twenty percent because teachers and public school educators are being asked to work 20% longer; 4% because this was the contractual raise stolen from public school workers last year; and a 5% increase in the second year of the new contract.

    Now these teachers are paid a starting salary of the upper $40K per year to start, as pointed out earlier, and yet rank in the bottom of education levels. Why should ANY of them not be laughed out of the negotiation room?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #122
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: 90 Percent of Chicago Teachers Authorize Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    It's not any president's fault. I don't believe that lack of graduation is a president's fault.



    You can read a book to a student, but you cannot force them to think.

    If you have a student that absoultely does not want to learn, no teacher can teach that child. There are some students who are completely unmotivated to learn no matter what.

    Of course I am of the mindset of flunking a student or kicking them out after a point.

    However, in this thread alone there are conservatives that blame the teachers and want to put their pay directly related to whether a student can pass a test. Sorry, but that is not the answer given that there are many factors outside a teacher's control. That being the student's willingness or unwillingness to learn and parents that either care or don't care.

    Teachers should not be punished for things they cannot control.
    Pure cop out. According to this post it is the parents fault, it is the students fault, but NEVER the teacher's fault....


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #123
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: 90 Percent of Chicago Teachers Authorize Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac
    The reason I say that is because you claimed 'fail' because you said that it wasn't just about pay, when the very next paragraph of what you posted but didn't highlight says otherwise
    LOL, you realize that "primarily" does not mean "solely" correct?

    Pure cop out. According to this post it is the parents fault, it is the students fault, but NEVER the teacher's fault....
    Straw man.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 90 Percent of Chicago Teachers Authorize Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I find it stunning that you actually posted the portion of the article you did obviously without even reading it past the part you wanted to highlight disingenuously. The reason I say that is because you claimed 'fail' because you said that it wasn't just about pay, when the very next paragraph of what you posted but didn't highlight says otherwise, here I'll highlight it for you....
    I actually posted that portion of the article on purpose, so I wouldn't be accused by juvenile posters with low IQs of purposely leaving it off even though it has absolutely zero affect on my point. I don't even know what significance you think the part you highlighted even has.

    Now these teachers are paid a starting salary of the upper $40K per year to start, as pointed out earlier, and yet rank in the bottom of education levels. Why should ANY of them not be laughed out of the negotiation room?
    You can laugh if you want. Although it appears your laughter is based on the false premise that teachers are to blame for the low rank of an entire education system which is laughable in itself considering how many factors influence education systems.

    j-mac
    Yes, we know who you are. No need to sign your posts.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: 90 Percent of Chicago Teachers Authorize Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Beyond a teachers control, yes, however these metrics are not beyond control when structuring a pay scale.

    Tim-
    If you want to hold teachers accountable for things they cannot control and punish good teachers for bad students and parents, I guess the metrics isn't beyond control.

    Of course if you want to do it right, other factors have to be taken into consideration.

  6. #126
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: 90 Percent of Chicago Teachers Authorize Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    It's not any president's fault. I don't believe that lack of graduation is a president's fault.



    You can read a book to a student, but you cannot force them to think.

    If you have a student that absoultely does not want to learn, no teacher can teach that child. There are some students who are completely unmotivated to learn no matter what.

    Of course I am of the mindset of flunking a student or kicking them out after a point.

    However, in this thread alone there are conservatives that blame the teachers and want to put their pay directly related to whether a student can pass a test. Sorry, but that is not the answer given that there are many factors outside a teacher's control. That being the student's willingness or unwillingness to learn and parents that either care or don't care.

    Teachers should not be punished for things they cannot control.

    They should have chosen a different job then.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: 90 Percent of Chicago Teachers Authorize Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    They should have chosen a different job then.
    Wow, what a dumbass comment you made. You sound like a person who would blame a woman for getting raped because she had a skirt on. She should have worn a different outfit right?

  8. #128
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,207

    Re: 90 Percent of Chicago Teachers Authorize Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    They should have chosen a different job then.
    Wow...brilliant...
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  9. #129
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: 90 Percent of Chicago Teachers Authorize Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    LOL, you realize that "primarily" does not mean "solely" correct?
    Um...I realize that I am a product of the public education system, however last I checked it meant the "main" focus....Here let me see....

    pri·ma·ry   [prahy-mer-ee, -muh-ree] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural pri·ma·ries.
    adjective
    1.
    first or highest in rank or importance; chief; principal: his primary goals in life.
    2.
    first in order in any series, sequence, etc.
    3.
    first in time; earliest; primitive.
    4.
    of, pertaining to, or characteristic of primary school: the primary grades.
    5.
    constituting or belonging to the first stage in any process.


    Well, looky there...."Chief in importance"....Yeah, I think I was right...Thanks

    Straw man.
    Not even close....You look this one up. Clearly you don't know what one is.


    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive
    I actually posted that portion of the article on purpose, so I wouldn't be accused by juvenile posters with low IQs of purposely leaving it off even though it has absolutely zero affect on my point. I don't even know what significance you think the part you highlighted even has.
    If by zero effect, you mean everything then I agree.

    You can laugh if you want. Although it appears your laughter is based on the false premise that teachers are to blame for the low rank of an entire education system which is laughable in itself considering how many factors influence education systems.
    Ok, so tell me in your world, what teachers are accountable for?

    Yes, we know who you are. No need to sign your posts.
    I've done that ever since my very first post ever on a message board...You don't like it? Tough ****!

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #130
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 90 Percent of Chicago Teachers Authorize Strike

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If by zero effect, you mean everything then I agree.

    Ok, so tell me in your world, what teachers are accountable for?
    1. Super fail on two levels. First level, my point was that they are focusing on more than money. Whether money is their primary focus or not is irrelevant since I proved my point. Second level, what you quoted says that a specific report that they asked to be done will focus on wage and benefit issues. A report. A single report on a specific issue. This does not mean that their wages are their primary focus, in general. It means, as they said, that this SPECIFIC REPORT will focus on wages and benefits.

    Double epic fail.

    2. In the real world, they, like everyone else, are accountable for what they control.

    I've done that ever since my very first post ever on a message board...You don't like it? Tough ****!

    j-mac
    How long you've done doesn't change how stupid it is. Fortunately, I like it when people do dumb things like sign their posts. It lets me know who I'm working with.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •