Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81

Thread: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

  1. #1
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,279

    Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Former Red Sox [team stats] pitcher Curt Schilling [stats]’s video-game company 38 Studios has struck out for the final time, declaring bankruptcy despite a $75 million Rhode Island loan guarantee that the state wants back.“The taxpayers of Rhode Island can have full confidence that if there’s a penny we can get — or a nickel or a dime — we’ll get it,” Ocean State Gov. Lincoln Chafee told reporters yesterday after 38 Studios filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in Delaware.

    State officials also told local media that the FBI, U.S. Attorney’s office, Rhode Island attorney general and Rhode Island State Police had all opened investigations into the company.Schilling didn’t comment on the bankruptcy, but 38 Studios said in a statement that it tried but failed for weeks to stay afloat. “After ongoing negotiations with the state of Rhode Island and potential investors and other interested parties, the company has been unable to find a solution to the current stalemate,” it said.
    Curt Schilling bounced from big show - BostonHerald.com


    This is a freaking cluster ****.

    I feel for all the folks who lost money on this.

    And then there's the ginormous asshole hypocrite Curt Schilling. How ironic that we went to the government to bail his sleazy ass out. Not once, but three times no less. I seem to recall him being an ardent conservative who preached doing things for one's self and not being reliant on the government dole.

    Do as I say, but not as I do.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Curt Schilling bounced from big show - BostonHerald.com


    This is a freaking cluster ****.

    I feel for all the folks who lost money on this.

    And then there's the ginormous asshole hypocrite Curt Schilling. How ironic that we went to the government to bail his sleazy ass out. Not once, but three times no less. I seem to recall him being an ardent conservative who preached doing things for one's self and not being reliant on the government dole.

    Do as I say, but not as I do.
    You need to check. These "loans" were not bail-outs. This were what many states do to attract a business. In the case of 38 Studios, for them to relocate to Rhode Island from Massachusetts.

    Now, whether or not RI exercised due diligence, or whether or not 38 presented honest books, let them investigate. But it has nothing to do with bailouts.

  3. #3
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,279

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    You need to check. These "loans" were not bail-outs. This were what many states do to attract a business. In the case of 38 Studios, for them to relocate to Rhode Island from Massachusetts.

    Now, whether or not RI exercised due diligence, or whether or not 38 presented honest books, let them investigate. But it has nothing to do with bailouts.
    You can't polish this turd. Schilling knew he was hemorrhaging money and went back for more. Two more times.

    And yes, the state is culpable. No one put a gun to their heads.

    But Schilling is the epitome of a conservative hypocrite.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 06-08-12 at 12:44 PM.

  4. #4
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,125
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    So, is the seething hatred for Shilling because he's a conservative... because he's religious... or a combination of the two?

  5. #5
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,279

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    So, is the seething hatred for Shilling because he's a conservative... because he's religious... or a combination of the two?
    And then some. The guy is one of the biggest pricks in all of sports. Always has been.

  6. #6
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    So, is the seething hatred for Shilling because he's a conservative... because he's religious... or a combination of the two?
    I think it's a combination of hypocrisy and being a gigantic asshole.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    You can't polish this turd. Schilling knew he was hemorrhaging money and wen back for more.

    And yes, the state is culpable. No one put a gun to their heads.

    But Schilling is the epitome of a conservative hypocrite.
    Your article does not back what you state. Nor does the second article linked in your article. There is do date so far no evidence that Schilling misled anyone. There is so far no evidence presented of fraud.

    What this shows, once again, is that states are too often lousy stewards of the taxpayer's money. There is no hypocrisy anywhere in a business playing one state off another in order for its employment location. We see it in huge ways with such as Boeing in SC, or numerous auto-makers. Conservatives do not condemn such. What we expect is due-diligence, and respect for taxpayer money.

    Looks like Rhode Island screwed up bigtime.

    And the Schilling brand is now highly tarnished.
    Last edited by Eighty Deuce; 06-08-12 at 12:53 PM.

  8. #8
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Curt Schilling bounced from big show - BostonHerald.com


    This is a freaking cluster ****.

    I feel for all the folks who lost money on this.

    And then there's the ginormous asshole hypocrite Curt Schilling. How ironic that we went to the government to bail his sleazy ass out. Not once, but three times no less. I seem to recall him being an ardent conservative who preached doing things for one's self and not being reliant on the government dole.

    Do as I say, but not as I do.
    The real question is -- why do states continually feel the need to give loan guarantees etc to these companies? If you have do things like this, the real problem is that your tax structure is a debacle, and needs to be addressed.

  9. #9
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,125
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    You article does not back what you state. Nor does the second article linked in your article. There is do date so far no evidence that Schilling misled anyone. There is so far no evidence presented of fraud.

    What this shows, once again, is that states are too often lousy stewards of the taxpayer's money. There is no hypocrisy anywhere in a business playing one state off another in order for its employment location. We see it in huge ways with such as Boeing in SC, or numerous auto-makers. Conservatives do not condemn such. What we expect is due-diligence, and respect for taxpayer money.

    Looks like Rhode Island screwed up bigtime.
    Refer back to post #4... This is politically motivated outrage, nothing more.

  10. #10
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Schilling just did a beyond terrible job of running that business. Aside from all the money that he got from investors, Rhode Island, and Berekley Investements he also sank 50 million of his own money into it.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •