Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 81

Thread: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

  1. #51
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,689

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    Can't find much on google, but what I found is kinda hypocritical.
    Curt Schilling Needs Government Relief | Drudge Retort
    Great Moments in Chutzpah: Curt Schilling speaks | HardballTalk
    His positions and his actions are incompatible.
    He demonstrated 'private investment' to the tune of 50 million and as an employer of 400 people used available tools to try to keep those people employed. I believe SB said it best...maybe not the wisest of business decisions...but 'hypocrite' doesnt fit...unless you have found the new policy that says conservatives should be free from paying for those programs. You still have the expectation that even though the wealthiest of Americans have to PAY for all those programs you dont think thyey should take advantage of them. And as I told TC...we ALL apparently agree the government should NOT be offering those programs to ANYONE. Correct? Until you find a way to allow people to opt out of paying for those programs via tax dollars they would be foolish to not take advantage of the system.

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaddelamancha View Post
    Just because someone is against certain economic policies, doesn't mean they won't drink from the cow when the milk is free. .
    Yeah, we know. That's what makes him a hypocrite.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    The GOP, and Conservatives in general, fully understand the concept of tax breaks, loans etc. to attract business.
    Understand it? They make fortunes on the backs of taxpayers utilizing it, while complaining about the 'Gummint' to everybody who will listen.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  4. #54
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,298

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    He demonstrated 'private investment' to the tune of 50 million and as an employer of 400 people used available tools to try to keep those people employed. I believe SB said it best...maybe not the wisest of business decisions...but 'hypocrite' doesnt fit...unless you have found the new policy that says conservatives should be free from paying for those programs. You still have the expectation that even though the wealthiest of Americans have to PAY for all those programs you dont think thyey should take advantage of them. And as I told TC...we ALL apparently agree the government should NOT be offering those programs to ANYONE. Correct? Until you find a way to allow people to opt out of paying for those programs via tax dollars they would be foolish to not take advantage of the system.

    Once again, the crux of this isn't that he took advantage of these programs, it's his comments and those of his fellow conservatives suggesting the practice isn't a good one. Therein lies the hypocrisy.

    Not sure why that concept is escaping you and others from the right.

    Liken it to a preacher yammering about family values then banging his secretary behind his wife's back.

    Same concept.

    Walk the walk...

  5. #55
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    He demonstrated 'private investment' to the tune of 50 million and as an employer of 400 people used available tools to try to keep those people employed. I believe SB said it best...maybe not the wisest of business decisions...but 'hypocrite' doesnt fit...unless you have found the new policy that says conservatives should be free from paying for those programs. You still have the expectation that even though the wealthiest of Americans have to PAY for all those programs you dont think thyey should take advantage of them. And as I told TC...we ALL apparently agree the government should NOT be offering those programs to ANYONE. Correct? Until you find a way to allow people to opt out of paying for those programs via tax dollars they would be foolish to not take advantage of the system.
    I don't have all the details on this story, but from what I see, it is hypocritical. He promotes self reliance and private enterprise, limited spending and then goes out and spends lots of money on a potential gamble and then asks the government for a bail out and says that this time government is good but all the other times government is bad. If he wanted to hold to his principles he should have gotten funding from only venture capital firms in the private market and not gone to government for a bail out. That does qualify as hypocrisy. He championed self reliance then went to government for loans, possibly additional loans, that is a little hypocritical. It looks like he over-leveraged himself, he did make a game, if it wasn't as successful, he shouldn't have continued development.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    I don't have all the details on this story, but from what I see, it is hypocritical. He promotes self reliance and private enterprise, limited spending and then goes out and spends lots of money on a potential gamble and then asks the government for a bail out and says that this time government is good but all the other times government is bad. If he wanted to hold to his principles he should have gotten funding from only venture capital firms in the private market and not gone to government for a bail out. That does qualify as hypocrisy. He championed self reliance then went to government for loans, possibly additional loans, that is a little hypocritical. It looks like he over-leveraged himself, he did make a game, if it wasn't as successful, he shouldn't have continued development.
    Nonsense. Your argument requires a huge warping of the facts. RI offered loans and other breaks for Schilling to locate his company there. Such is common, although the state is expected to exercise due diligence as a steward for investing its constituent's money.

    Like it or not, RI was now an investor/lender. When 38 started to go under, Schilling did what any business does. Goes to its investors/creditors/lenders and says "we need more money or you lose your money".

    All this continues to demonstrate is that liberals haven't a clue but even simple business functions.

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,340

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Are you suggesting this is a revelation? Really? So Schilling, a self proclaimed conservative, takes a company oozing money and asks the state for more money to help them. And you have no problem with the hypocrisy of that?

    Of course not.

    I can only imagine how you'd react is Obama had done such a thing.
    I think we know how people would react to Obama doing such a thing, since his record on bailing out or investing in companies is not exactly perfect. Billions have been tossed down the alternative energy rathole with little gain, to suggest just one.

    Governments do this all the time for some perceived gain, ranging from actually believing that the money will help the state, feds, or cities, to paying off cronies. None of it is right. Companies should succeed or fail on their own merits.

  8. #58
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Nonsense. Your argument requires a huge warping of the facts. RI offered loans and other breaks for Schilling to locate his company there. Such is common, although the state is expected to exercise due diligence as a steward for investing its constituent's money.

    Like it or not, RI was now an investor/lender. When 38 started to go under, Schilling did what any business does. Goes to its investors/creditors/lenders and says "we need more money or you lose your money".

    All this continues to demonstrate is that liberals haven't a clue but even simple business functions.
    I didn't warp any facts, if I'm mistaken please point out where I'm wrong. A huge loan is not the same as a tax break. Taking that loan after failing to secure the money from private lenders is hypocritical. RI is not private enterprise, speaking out against government bail-outs and involvement and then taking the loan is hypocritical. Championing private enterprise and self reliance, then taking the huge loan is hypocritical.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    I didn't warp any facts, if I'm mistaken please point out where I'm wrong. A huge loan is not the same as a tax break. Taking that loan after failing to secure the money from private lenders is hypocritical. RI is not private enterprise, speaking out against government bail-outs and involvement and then taking the loan is hypocritical. Championing private enterprise and self reliance, then taking the huge loan is hypocritical.
    What ? It was a deal with the state, that in return for the loan, Schilling would move the company, and expand it, in Rhode Island. It was a quid-pro-quo business deal. It has nothing to do with bail-outs, and states make such deals all the time.

  10. #60
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Curt Schilling bounced from big show

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    What ? It was a deal with the state, that in return for the loan, Schilling would move the company, and expand it, in Rhode Island. It was a quid-pro-quo business deal. It has nothing to do with bail-outs, and states make such deals all the time.
    Ok. I assume the $75 million loan was in large excess of moving expenses only, it amounts to government trying out venture capital business.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •