Page 93 of 112 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 1120

Thread: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

  1. #921
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:14 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Did Walker say no to the out-of-state Koch money? Thank you for pointing out that Walker's efforts were nothing more than a partisan ploy to cripple the Democrats.
    Did Walker's opponent not receive any out-of-state money?

    Using your logic, should not we, as citizens, be allowed to withhold paying our taxes if we feel that they are not being used productively?
    You can bet that many (most?) people would do just that, if there weren't a prison sentence and a criminal record involved. The citizens of Wisconsin merely did the next best thing, which is within the law, and the whole point of our representative democratic process in the USA: They elected a governor who will put less of their tax dollars toward wasteful spending. Apparently the majority of democrats in Wisconsin have no respect or regard for the democratic process.
    Last edited by The Man; 06-09-12 at 12:52 PM.

  2. #922
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl, replying to The Man View Post
    [...] 1. You claimed, effectively, that Walker campaigned on eliminating/severely restricting union bargaining rights. You failed to evidence that when asked (of course, it is likely untrue, making evidence difficult in the least). [...]
    It would appear that your position is based on the bolded word above. Your argument could be alternatively be interpreted as ‘you didn’t say it specifically so I will imply what you meant…now prove my interpretation’…typically your tactic…Nice
    I shortened the charge to keep from boring everyone by repeating the same thing over and over again. Since you choose to find fault with that, I'll humor you and simply bore everyone again:

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl, in post #881 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man, in post #877 View Post
    The thing I don't understand is, a governor, Scott Walker in this case, gets elected by a good majority, and does exactly what he said he intended to do when running for election [...]
    You have evidence that while running for election he said that he was going to break unions? May we see that please?
    A few posts later, upon complaint by the poster, I modified my request as follows:

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Of course he's breaking unions. Stripping them of collective bargaining rights is what -- a Christmas bonus? However, can you at least provide evidence that during the campaign he said he was going to eliminate collective bargaining for state employees? [...]
    Evidence was never provided. IIRC a vague claim about cleaning up the budget mess was offered, but that is hardly "exact".
    Last edited by Karl; 06-09-12 at 12:52 PM.

  3. #923
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    You act like Walker did something wrong.

    Walker should be given a medal for busting the unions.
    There ya go, folks... makes one wonder why the others expended so much effort denying it

  4. #924
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Did Walker's opponent not receive any out-of-state money? [...]
    Probably, but Walker's successful union-busting plan will reduce or eliminate that in the future, will it not? [/QUOTE]

  5. #925
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:14 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Probably, but Walker's successful union-busting plan will reduce or eliminate that in the future, will it not?
    Again, Walker did not bust any union. Being fiscally responsible and balancing the state budget is NOT union busting. Are public labor unions no longer allowed to exist in Wisconsin? I'm pretty sure that even if the whole point of the labor union is only to get together to go bowling every Friday, or have a barbecue twice a week, labor unions are allowed to exist.

    But, even if candidates can't receive out of state money in the future, does it really matter? If no candidate can receive out of state funding, then it's still an even playing field, no?
    Last edited by The Man; 06-09-12 at 01:11 PM.

  6. #926
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Guess it isn't a sad day when Obama outspent McCain 3-1 and won?
    Yes.

    You think the people are so stupid that their votes can be bought?
    Yes.
    Spend more money on adds etc, and all that bull**** then yes.


  7. #927
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    Nope. It's the "politics" of the taxpayers money. And the taxpayers, a.k.a the voter, finally woke up to the fact.
    What fact is that?


  8. #928
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    Again, Walker did not bust any union. Being fiscally responsible and balancing the state budget is NOT union busting. Are public labor unions no longer allowed to exist in Wisconsin? I'm pretty sure that even if the whole point of the labor union is only to get together to go bowling every Friday, or have a barbecue twice a week, labor unions are allowed to exist.

    But, even if candidates can't receive out of state money in the future, does it really matter? If no candidate can receive out of state funding, then it's still an even playing field, no?
    Be serious; eliminating collective bargaining IS union busting. Somehow WI managed to balance its budget every year prior to Walker without busting the unions. I guess Walker is uniquely unqualified....
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  9. #929
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Be serious; eliminating collective bargaining IS union busting. Somehow WI managed to balance its budget every year prior to Walker without busting the unions. I guess Walker is uniquely unqualified....
    They kept raising taxes (and using accounting gimmicks)- taxpayers were quite obviously tired of it., as evidenced by the initial election of Walker and subsequent recall victory.
    Last edited by buck; 06-09-12 at 01:37 PM.

  10. #930
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:14 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Be serious; eliminating collective bargaining IS union busting. Somehow WI managed to balance its budget every year prior to Walker without busting the unions. I guess Walker is uniquely unqualified....
    Again, Walker DID NOT eliminate collective bargaining. Show us evidence that he did.

    And yes, Wisconsin balanced its budget before Walker (by raising taxes), he is addressing future budget concerns before they become a crisis. Walker is not kicking the can down the road like other politicians, which is refreshing.

Page 93 of 112 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •