Page 40 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 1120

Thread: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

  1. #391
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    bottom line is they can't win on a level playing field and they know it. Which is why they support Citizens United, voter role purges, Tom Delay styled redistricting and on and on and on.

    I've seen crappy Dem styled redistricting for the same reasons but the collection of these facts I listed above shows that they know that their message fails when delivered on a level playing field.
    If both sides were equally free to send money to the candidate they'd like to see win, how is this an unlevel playing field? All that should be guaranteed is equal opportunity, not equal outcome.

  2. #392
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    People on both sides of this were free to donate to the political candidate they wanted to see win. If Walker was able to raise overwhelming amounts of money compared to the other guy, maybe that tells you something as well.
    It tells me that Citizens United permitted a great deal of anonymous money to be spent on the campaign, most of it on Walker's side. I don't like the fact that anyone is able to now accept anonymous money. It's wrong. It permits corporations and people with deep, deep pockets to have a louder voice than individual citizens. In essence they have to power to influence elections without actually voting or even being residents of the state.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #393
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I read it on Jsonline not too long ago. I used up my free 15 articles for the month, so wouldn't be able to find it again. Basically, Walker far outraised Barrett. However, when taking outside groups into account, the spending was roughly equaly.
    Further liberals want to ignore the cost of creating the recall election and the cost of previous recalls of Legislators, Wisconsin liberals throwing a tantrum

  4. #394
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,933

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I read it on Jsonline not too long ago. I used up my free 15 articles for the month, so wouldn't be able to find it again. Basically, Walker far outraised Barrett. However, when taking outside groups into account, the spending was roughly equaly.
    I kind of find it not believable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #395
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,933

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    The money issue in this case is an excuse, a sorry one at that. Two reasons. One, the results are nearly identical to the 2010 election where the money factor wasn't nearly as lopsided. Maybe 2-1 in Walker's favor with direct contribution and independent spending being about equal. Two, the results also mirror where the polls have been for over a year, well before all this outide money (both sides received large amounts by the way) was even spent. While the money is a factor, the facts on the ground indicate it wasn't the most contributing, not even close.

    In my opinion, the Walker victory comes from several factors.

    1. The GOP's grassroots ground game put the Dems to shame. Look at the primary, Walker's (uncontested) had more votes than the entire Democratic field combined. That's a HUGE message in itself and rather surprising since the them was his opposition was much more enthusiastic from all the "end of the world" policies Walker had put forth.

    And this is the one that I think spells trouble for Obama. The GOP ground game in Wisconsin is a well oiled machine right now with the Democrats hitting a brick wall full force. This will have impact in the coming months as some, if not quite a few, will be quite discouraged. This recall may end up being just one high stakes gigantic political miscalculation.

    2. The recall itself. Exits polls indicated that some, though disagree with Walker's policies, diagree more with recalling him for them.

    3. Whether you like it or not, his reforms are bearing fruit. No teachers had to be layed off, municipal healthcare costs are down, budgets are moving to the black, appears to be no major disruption in services. It appears that many union members in the Badger state don't necessarily feel the unions are worth dues. Look at the numbers of how many have voluntarily dropped off the union rolls.
    If money didn't/doesn't matter, why then so much effort to get so much money and then spend all that money? I mean, it doesn't matter right?

    I can't believe that we are breaking all records of fund raising for races and people still claim that money doesn't matter in elections. Clearly those running the elections see an incentive else they wouldn't be breaking all the records in fundraising.
    Last edited by poweRob; 06-06-12 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #396
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    If money didn't/doesn't matter, why then so much effort to get so much money and then spend all that money? I mean, it doesn't matter right?
    Why did liberals spend so much money to create the recall, first for Legislative members and then the Governor? Liberalism lost, get over it

  7. #397
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Money FACTORS into elections. Money doesn't determine whether or not individuals have their right to vote, and thus determine their governor, taken away.
    Hey, if I have the money to buy an election I don't give a damn about voting. If you and I like a mayoral candidate in Wazoo, Montana and we agree to put in 10 million each on the election in Wazoo, who do you think is going to win? Neither one of us live in Montana, but we bought a mayor. We don't need to vote.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  8. #398
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    It tells me that Citizens United permitted a great deal of anonymous money to be spent on the campaign, most of it on Walker's side. I don't like the fact that anyone is able to now accept anonymous money. It's wrong. It permits corporations and people with deep, deep pockets to have a louder voice than individual citizens. In essence they have to power to influence elections without actually voting or even being residents of the state.
    There are plenty of liberals with deep pockets too that could have (and may have, I don't know) donated to Barrett. /shrug

  9. #399
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    If money didn't/doesn't matter, why then so much effort to get so much money and then spend all that money? I mean, it doesn't matter right?

    I can't believe that we are breaking all records of fund raising for races and people still claim that money doesn't matter in elections. Clearly those running the elections see an incentive else they wouldn't be breaking all the records in fundraising.
    From my post:

    While the money is a factor, the facts on the ground indicate it wasn't the most contributing, not even close.
    I never said anything you claim. I said there were other factors that I think contributed a hell of lot more than the money did.

  10. #400
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I kind of find it not believable.
    Sharon..> Is that you? It must be. You're posting links to things that have nothing to do with what I indicated. The link you provided is only discussing money raised by the candidates themselves. I've already indicated, Walker outraised the democrats and you provided a link to confirm it. Thank you for that, I guess.

Page 40 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •