Page 111 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1120

Thread: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

  1. #1101
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Wisconsin teachers, arguably the subject of the thread, are prohibited by law from going on strike. [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    They are not prohibited by law. They are prohibited by contract. [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    Not being protected by the law, is not the same as being prohibited. [...]
    I was going to say 'there's one in every crowd', but in this case their appears to be two.

    Teacher strikes were illegal in Wisconsin under the 1971 bargaining law (111.70) that mandated good-faith bargaining on both sides of the table.

    WEAC History Book Chp 5 | History | About WEAC | Wisconsin Education Association Council
    Look, we all understand that the talk media right hates unions (and a laundry list of other things), and we all know that the talk media right has a penchant to try and destroy whatever they hate. But denying reality does not help your case.

  2. #1102
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Not so fast there monkey boy. It would appear the certainty is not so...certain:

    Public workers prepare for strike, but experts disagree on lawfulness of action -- GazetteXtra

  3. #1103
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man, replying to Karl View Post
    And if that is what the voters voted for, twice in this instance, then that was the right thing to do, no?
    No. Or at least not necessarily. You overlook three obvious problems with your support of mob rule:
    1. That the mob (voters) know what they are doing (or are knowledgeable/intelligent in their actions).
    2. That, according to exit polls, some Walker supporters were voting against the circumstances of the recall rather than voting to support Walker's actions.
    3. The founding fathers were opposed to mob rule (direct democracy, which you are arguing supports Walker's actions). [...]
    When the voters don't vote your way, it's "mob rule"?
    Might want to do a little historical reading on the founders reasoning in choosing a representative form of government for the country, versus 'direct democracy'. Or not
    I don't need to re-learn history to know that when you thought Walker was toast, it was Democracy in action and it was beautiful. Now, when things didn't go your way, you claim it's "mob rule", and not good.
    Delusion and strawmen do not masquerade well as argument. Nor does an inability to follow a conversation. FYI.
    Translation: "I got burned by my own silly comments, now I'm resorting to insults, because it's all I have left"
    For some, it's all they ever had.

  4. #1104
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    For some, it's all they ever had.
    More insults, eh? Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #1105
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Look, we all understand that the talk media right hates unions (and a laundry list of other things), and we all know that the talk media right has a penchant to try and destroy whatever they hate. But denying reality does not help your case.
    As it says here ... Wisconsin's Municipal Employees Relations Act

    Public employee strikers were illegal under the 1971 law that required good faith bargaining but did not force compliance.
    If compliance is not forced for laws then there might as well be no law.

    But, I do admit that I was wrong in that it wasn't a law...technically speaking. Be that as it may however it does not change the fact that teachers in Wisconsin did indeed go on strike by using a "sick day" loophole.

    I find it amusing that you ignored that part of my post. Why did you ignore it? Are you trying to deny reality?

    Also I am not a conservative. I also don't hate unions. As a matter of fact I am all for private unions. I am just against public unions.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #1106
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Not so fast there monkey boy. It would appear the certainty is not so...certain:

    Public workers prepare for strike, but experts disagree on lawfulness of action -- GazetteXtra
    Good Lord... from your own link:

    Strikes by public employees are illegal in Wisconsin [...]
    What's next? A claim by the right that is debatable whether the Earth is flat, or that the Sun orbits the Earth? What drives the right to fanatically pursue a losing argument to the point of total absurdity?

  7. #1107
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    [...] If compliance is not forced for laws then there might as well be no law. [...]
    The argument is too stupid to address. Even the teachers union says that strikes are illegal. But hey, why not -- I'll agree that the earth is flat, just to prevent more absurdity.

  8. #1108
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Good Lord... from your own link:


    What's next? A claim by the right that is debatable whether the Earth is flat, or that the Sun orbits the Earth? What drives the right to fanatically pursue a losing argument to the point of total absurdity?
    OH, sorry...You're right...it is illegal for them to strike...what a relief! It would appear Wisconsin really DOES know how to handle their unions. Carry on...

  9. #1109
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    [...] I find it amusing that you ignored that part of my post. Why did you ignore it? Are you trying to deny reality? [...]
    I'm not interested in your opinions, especially when they state the obvious. You made an error, I corrected it, and now you are upset and therefore trying to bait me.

    Have a nice evening

  10. #1110
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I'm not interested in your opinions, especially when they state the obvious. You made an error, I corrected it, and now you are upset and therefore trying to bait me.

    Have a nice evening
    The teachers calling in sick to go protest is an opinion? So you actually believe that they were sick? That many teachers? All at once on the same day? That none of them went to protest?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •