Page 106 of 112 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1120

Thread: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

  1. #1051
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    And if that is what the voters voted for, twice in this instance, then that was the right thing to do, no?
    No. Or at least not necessarily. You overlook three obvious problems with your support of mob rule:
    1. That the mob (voters) know what they are doing (or are knowledgeable/intelligent in their actions).
    2. That, according to exit polls, some Walker supporters were voting against the circumstances of the recall rather than voting to support Walker's actions.
    3. The founding fathers were opposed to mob rule (direct democracy, which you are arguing supports Walker's actions).

    As far as opinions of why voters voted the way they did, I suspect time heals all wounds; in other words, had the election been much sooner while the events that prompted the recall still be fresh in voters minds, then Walker may well have lost. That the attention span of the public is rather short I'd think is not something with which most would disagree.

  2. #1052
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Sorry, Bubba, but the fact is that campaign contributions come off the company's bottom line, and the bottom line is what determines how much the company can pay its employees.
    But that's not coming directly out of his paycheck, now is it?
    Last edited by The Man; 06-12-12 at 08:08 PM.

  3. #1053
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Sorry, Bubba, but the fact is that campaign contributions come off the company's bottom line, and the bottom line is what determines how much the company can pay its employees.
    Can you possibly understand how rediculous you sound right now?

    Coporations can't make financial contributions to political campaigns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #1054
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    [...] Union dues are nothing more than a tax. If unions were so awesome, they would do all their wonderful work for free.
    So what if union does are a tax?

    And if unions did their work for free, who would pay their expenses? Building rental/lease, communications, office equipment/supplies, insurance, travel, . . . . .

  5. #1055
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    It comes out of his paycheck just as surely as union dues just not as directly.
    I asked for proof of that in a previous post.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  6. #1056
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    No. Or at least not necessarily. You overlook three obvious problems with your support of mob rule:
    1. That the mob (voters) know what they are doing (or are knowledgeable/intelligent in their actions).
    2. That, according to exit polls, some Walker supporters were voting against the circumstances of the recall rather than voting to support Walker's actions.
    3. The founding fathers were opposed to mob rule (direct democracy, which you are arguing supports Walker's actions).

    As far as opinions of why voters voted the way they did, I suspect time heals all wounds; in other words, had the election been much sooner while the events that prompted the recall still be fresh in voters minds, then Walker may well have lost. That the attention span of the public is rather short I'd think is not something with which most would disagree.
    But, Walker did nothing to warrant a recall in the first place. And if you want to talk about mobs, how about all of the teachers and other government union workers who neglected the duties of their jobs to camp out and protest, and all of the whiny death threats from sore losers? Looks like mob does not rule.

  7. #1057
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Can you possibly understand how rediculous you sound right now? Coporations can't make financial contributions to political campaigns.
    Of course they can. Exxon can spend $5 billion on campaign ads supporting Romney any time they want, directly out of corporate funds, even if it bankrupts the company (well, assuming the board doesn't prevent it). Do you think that is not an effective contribution to Romney?

  8. #1058
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    But, Walker did nothing to warrant a recall in the first place. [...]
    Since there is no legal requirement that he do so, what is your point?

    Do a little research on the term "mob rule" and perhaps literalism will not trip you up next time.

  9. #1059
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    So what if union does are a tax?

    And if unions did their work for free, who would pay their expenses? Building rental/lease, communications, office equipment/supplies, insurance, travel, . . . . .
    Are you trying to say their political donations are just an expense the membership should pay for like travel or rent?
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  10. #1060
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker survives recall effort, NBC News projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    No. Or at least not necessarily. You overlook three obvious problems with your support of mob rule:
    1. That the mob (voters) know what they are doing (or are knowledgeable/intelligent in their actions).
    2. That, according to exit polls, some Walker supporters were voting against the circumstances of the recall rather than voting to support Walker's actions.
    3. The founding fathers were opposed to mob rule (direct democracy, which you are arguing supports Walker's actions).

    As far as opinions of why voters voted the way they did, I suspect time heals all wounds; in other words, had the election been much sooner while the events that prompted the recall still be fresh in voters minds, then Walker may well have lost. That the attention span of the public is rather short I'd think is not something with which most would disagree.
    When the voters don't vote your way, it's "mob rule"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •