Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 548

Thread: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    The Justice Department ordered Florida’s elections division to halt a systematic effort to find and purge the state’s voter rolls of noncitizen voters.

    Florida’s effort appears to violate both the 1965 Voting Rights Act, which protects minorities, and the 1993 National Voter Registration Act – which governs voter purges – T. Christian Herren Jr., the Justice Department’s lead civil rights lawyer, wrote in a detailed two-page letter sent late Thursday night.
    Now why would the Justice Department order a purge of non-citizens to be stopped? A purge like this is a good thing, right? Well, not really. Not if a substantial number of purged voters are actually citizens, and are being added to the purge list because they don't happen to be white Republicans.

    So far, Florida has flagged 2,700 potential noncitizen voters and sent the list to county elections supervisors, who have found the data and methodology to be flawed and problematic. The list of potential noncitizen voters – many of whom have turned out to be lawful citizens and voters – disproportionately hits minorities, especially Hispanics.

    About 58 percent of those flagged as potential noncitizens are Hispanics, Florida’s largest ethnic immigrant population, a Miami Herald analysis found. Hispanics make up 13 percent of the overall 11.3 million active registered voters.
    Article is here.
    Last edited by danarhea; 06-01-12 at 02:36 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    What do William Internicola and Archibald Bowyer have in common?

    1) They are both 91 years old.

    2) Both were born in the United States.

    3) They both were declared non-citizens by the State of Florida.

    4) BOTH FOUGHT IN WORLD WAR II, AND ONE OF THEM IS EVEN A WAR HERO.

    Way to support those who fought for our country, Governor Scott...... Douche bag!!

    While Rick Scott is considering to actually refuse to obey the laws of the United States of America, and go ahead with his vote purge, despite the order from the Department of Justice not to, Supervisors of Elections in Florida, some of them who are Republican, are refusing to obey Scott's orders to conduct the purge. Good for them. They are the REAL Americans, much to Scott's chagrin. But Scott does have an option here. If he doesn't like the disobedience that is being conducted right in front of him, he can always move to a nation that is more in line with his way of thinking when it comes to elections...... Iran!! NOTE: His first choice would have been the Soviet Union, but his Russian comrades seem to be out of business there. Pity.
    Last edited by danarhea; 06-01-12 at 09:31 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    What do William Internicola and Archibald Bowyer have in common?

    1) They are both 91 years old.

    2) Both were born in the United States.

    3) They both were declared non-citizens by the State of Florida.

    4) BOTH FOUGHT IN WORLD WAR II, AND ONE OF THEM IS EVEN A WAR HERO.

    Way to support those who fought for our country, Governor Scott...... Douche bag!!

    While Rick Scott is considering to actually refuse to obey the laws of the United States of America, and go ahead with his vote purge, despite the order from the Department of Justice not to, Supervisors of Elections in Florida, some of them who are Republican, are refusing to obey Scott's orders to conduct the purge. Good for them. They are the REAL Americans, much to Scott's chagrin. But Scott does have an option here. If he doesn't like the disobedience that is being conducted right in front of him, he can always move to a nation that is more in line with his way of thinking when it comes to elections...... Iran!! NOTE: His first choice would have been the Soviet Union, but his Russian comrades seem to be out of business there. Pity.
    I'm Canadian but am looking forward to voting in US elections.

  4. #4
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,116

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I'm Canadian but am looking forward to voting in US elections.
    I'm an American citizen looking forward to being purged from voting in US elections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I'm an American citizen looking forward to being purged from voting in US elections.
    Yeah, and you just might be.

    My understanding is that there are over 2 million federal employees. Isn't there an agency somewhere which can figure out who is eligible to vote?

    It's been over 235 year now. Aren't the citizens getting a little impatient for the Feds to solve the problem?

  6. #6
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yeah, and you just might be.

    My understanding is that there are over 2 million federal employees. Isn't there an agency somewhere which can figure out who is eligible to vote?

    It's been over 235 year now. Aren't the citizens getting a little impatient for the Feds to solve the problem?
    Each state controls it's own voter registration lists. However, Florida has had a long history of Jim Crow, and voter suppression, so much so that any plan it comes up with, in regard to voting, must be reviewed by the Federal government to assure that it complies with the 1965 Voting Rights Act, and the 14th Amendment, both of which the State of Florida has violated time and time again, thus making Federal review of it's programs necessary.
    Last edited by danarhea; 06-02-12 at 12:20 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Each state controls it's own voter registration lists. However, Florida has had a long history of Jim Crow, and voter suppression, so much so that any plan it comes up with, in regard to voting, must be reviewed by the Federal government to assure that it complies with the 1965 Voting Rights Act, and the 14th Amendment, both of which the State of Florida has violated time and time again, thus making Federal review of it's programs necessary.
    So it is only since 1965 that they couldn't get their act together? That's well under 50 years!

    I had thought it was a long term problem but it seems the bureaucracy and federal government has it all under control.

  8. #8
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So it is only since 1965 that they couldn't get their act together? That's well under 50 years!

    I had thought it was a long term problem but it seems the bureaucracy and federal government has it all under control.
    It's quite obvious that Florida doesn't have the problem under control. If they did, then Federal intervention would not be necessary.

    BTW, how do you say Jim Crow in Spanish?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    It's quite obvious that Florida doesn't have the problem under control. If they did, then Federal intervention would not be necessary.

    BTW, how do you say Jim Crow in Spanish?
    It seems that the Feds had almost 50 years to fix the Florida problem but couldn't. Bless the American people for their patience.

    But, sadly, it seems the problems aren't restricted to Florida.

    Yahoo! Groups

    2004 United States election voting controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    When no one knows who is or isn't a US citizen it must make the job more difficult.

  10. #10
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    1) They are both 91 years old.

    2) Both were born in the United States.

    3) They both were declared non-citizens by the State of Florida.

    4) BOTH FOUGHT IN WORLD WAR II, AND ONE OF THEM IS EVEN A WAR HERO.
    You forgot(I know it kinda debnks your whole bogus premise):
    5. They both are not democrats

    6. The both are not hispanic,

    The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •