Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 548

Thread: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

  1. #391
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    In a nutshell, on the one hand we had chads being evaluated so as to divine "intent", where they had otherwise been properly disqualified for being improperly punched or marked.
    What you are grasping with both hands is a red herring

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    On the other hand, we had military absentee ballots, many of which were sent from places where there was no MPO (military post office) from which they could obtain the postmark expected of normal domestic mail. As noted in an earlier post, if you would read, one such ballot even had a hand-written note on it by the offiicer who filled it out saying "I cannot get it postmarked on my ship". And his ballot was rejected at the urging of Duval County Democrats.
    Assuming your unsourced story is true, the rules is the rules. If you want to blame the rules, then blame the rules. Instead of falsely blaming/demonizing others (Gore, in this case).

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    For all the Democrat hypocrites, its this BS two-faced crap that your post so amply demonstrates. And the circumstance we have with Gore in 2000. FYI, they amended the Federal Title Statutes, in 2008 I believe, so as to make it more difficult for Democrats to disenfranchise our military ever again.
    And the ad hominem strawman propaganda train justs keeps on a rollin' -- toot toot, next stop Faux News, alllllll aboard!!!
    Last edited by Karl; 06-14-12 at 05:43 PM.

  2. #392
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:45 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,824

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlefinch View Post
    Guys with clubs, in which no charges were filed and the Department of Justice has refused to investigate.
    How about "guys with guns"? Would that count as voter intimidation?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  3. #393
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    What you are grasping with both hands is a red herring

    Assuming your unsourced story is true, the rules is the rules. If you want to blame the rules, then blame the rules. Instead of falsely blaming/demonizing others (Gore, in this case).

    And the ad hominem strawman propaganda train justs keeps on a rollin' -- toot toot, next stop Faux News, alllllll aboard!!!
    LOL .... the point of it all is that Gov. Scott is attempting to enforce the rules, and all we have from the Left is a lot of babble about how its really to block Democrats from voting. No evidence. Nothing.

    But then we show where this same Left has absolutely endorsed both disenfranchising of such as the military vote, while asking for the bending of rules to accomodate liberal precincts and counties. These last two points are fact, as demonstrated.

    You also apparently do not know what "ad-hominem" means.

  4. #394
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    LOL .... the point of it all is that Gov. Scott is attempting to enforce the rules [...]
    It is illegal to have a voter registration purge within 90 days of a primary or election. So much for the rules. Clearly you have just been pwned, and clearly Gov. Scott is breaking the law -- for which he should be arrested, tried, and based on the evidence available (which seems clear cut and irrefutable), convicted and sentenced.

    Given his history in the private sector I'm sure he knows the drill

  5. #395
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    It is illegal to have a voter registration purge within 90 days of a primary or election. So much for the rules. Clearly you have just been pwned, and clearly Gov. Scott is breaking the law -- for which he should be arrested, tried, and based on the evidence available (which seems clear cut and irrefutable), convicted and sentenced.

    Given his history in the private sector I'm sure he knows the drill
    Take a closer look at that law, betcha it says "PRIOR TO" a primary election.

  6. #396
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    It is illegal to have a voter registration purge within 90 days of a primary or election. So much for the rules. Clearly you have just been pwned, and clearly Gov. Scott is breaking the law -- for which he should be arrested, tried, and based on the evidence available (which seems clear cut and irrefutable), convicted and sentenced.

    Given his history in the private sector I'm sure he knows the drill
    So you are the legal expert, and you say that I have been pwned ! What liberal claptrap BS.

    Read 'em and weep:

    The Justice Department’s top voting rights lawyer, T. Christian Herren, said last week that Florida’s voter-purge effort violated NVRA because it fell within 90 days of a federal election.

    Detzner argues Herren misread the law, which only applies to purges of once-eligible citizens who become ineligible through criminal conviction, death or mental incompetence. The 90-day purge-ban, which has barely been litigated, largely applies to efforts to remove voters who have moved — not voters who were ineligible in the first place, Detzner said.

    “DOJ’s reading of the NVRA would grant greater protection against removal from the voter rolls to non-citizens — who were never eligible to vote — than to other categories of registered voters,” Detzner wrote. “Such a result is plainly contrary to the NVRA’s express purpose of “ensur[ing] that accurate and current voter registration rolls are maintained.”

    If the state followed the federal demand, Detzner wrote, then it would help unlawful voters cast ballots. And that could cancel out the ballots cast by lawful voters and would therefore violate the U.S. Constitution, Detzner said.

    “If the effect of the NVRA is to force a state to allow never-eligible non-citizens the opportunity to vote,” he wrote, “then the statute might violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution, which guarantees that the right to vote cannot be denied by a dilution of the weight of a citizen’s vote.”

    And if that happens, Detzner said, citizen groups would sue.

    “Presumably eligible voters in Florida have the right to bring a lawsuit in federal court to test whether their votes are being unconstitutionally denied by the federal government,” he wrote.

    As for the Voting Rights Act claim, Detzner wrote, Florida already received federal permission to remove noncitizens, which is clearly spelled out in Florida law.

    What’s more, the Voting Rights Act applies to only five Florida counties — Monroe, Hillsborough, Collier, Hardee and Hendry — and not the other 62 in Florida, including Miami-Dade, where about 1,600 of the 2,700 potential noncitizens were initially identified by the state in a database created by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

    It’s unclear if the Voting Rights Act requires the state to receive federal permission for the way in which he sought to identify noncitizens, by checking voter rolls with a motor-vehicle database that doesn’t have up-to-date citizenship information.

    Detzner’s reasoning closely tracks an analysis by a former DOJ official, Hans von Spakovsky of the conservative Heritage Foundation, who arrived at the same conclusions.

    Seminole County Supervisor of Elections Mike Ertel, who has been critical of the state’s handling of the database, said the federal government needs to explain why the Homeland Security database can’t be used to verify the status of voters.

    "That’s a real question that needs to be answered," Ertel said.

    DHS won’t comment.

    read more:

    Florida Gov. Scott says voter purge is legal, DOJ is wrong | McClatchy
    According to legal experts cited above, the "purges" that are applicable in the law have to do wth such as residency. Presumably, this is because folks can't always re-register in a new location quickly, and need the option for an absentee ballot with their prior address. But to purge based on citizenship ineligibility is seen as being always allowed.

    "Pwned" .... my ass.
    Last edited by Eighty Deuce; 06-14-12 at 07:20 PM.

  7. #397
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    [...] According to legal experts cited above, [...]
    Detzner is not a "legal expert"; he is the Florida Secretary of State, and therefore hardly an reliable independent source on the legality of what he is trying to do. Yes, pwned. Again. Secondly, Detzner himself is pwned since the NVRA is not forcing him to allow illegals to vote, it is forcing him to do his housecleaning 90 days prior to the primary/election.

    Too bad if that runs afoul of the plans to kick eligible Democrats off the rolls at the last minute.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    [...]the "purges" that are applicable in the law have to do wth such as residency. Presumably, this is because folks can't always re-register in a new location quickly, and need the option for an absentee ballot with their prior address. But to purge based on citizenship ineligibility is seen as being always allowed. "Pwned" .... my ass.
    42 USC § 1973gg–6(c)(2)(A) A State shall complete, not later than 90 days prior to the date of a primary or general election for Federal office, any program the purpose of which is to systematically remove the names of ineligible voters from the official lists of eligible voters.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (B) Subparagraph (A) shall not be construed to preclude—
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (i) the removal of names from official lists of voters on a basis described in paragraph (3)(A) [names removed at the request of the registrant;] or (B) [names removed as provided by State law, by reason of criminal conviction or mental incapacity;] or (4)(A) [names removed the death of the registrant;] of subsection (a) of this section; or
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(ii) correction of registration records pursuant to this subchapter. [this blanket exception could mean just about anything; a court would have to render an interpretation]

    42 USC § 1973gg [text in brackets is that of the poster, either quoting other sections or, in the one last case, offering an opinion]
    Yes, pwned. Yet again, since nothing in the text of the law supports your claim. Secondly, inaccurate claims of non-citizenship by the state has exceeded accurate claims by a factor of 4,000% (400 vs 10). This alone should render the purge flawed and, therefore, illegal... as if it were not already illegal due to the expired 90 day deadline.
    Last edited by Karl; 06-14-12 at 08:16 PM.

  8. #398
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,782

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Detzner is not a "legal expert"; he is the Florida Secretary of State, and therefore hardly an reliable independent source on the legality of what he is trying to do. Yes, pwned. Again.
    He doesnt have to be "independent". He simply has to be within the law. Because you are certainly more of an expert than a Secretary of State :P

    Talk about shooting your credibility.

  9. #399
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,363

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    It is illegal to have a voter registration purge within 90 days of a primary or election.
    This purge is happening more then 90 days after the Florida Primary, and more then 90 days prior to the November General Election.

    Next false point, please?
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  10. #400
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Detzner is not a "legal expert"; he is the Florida Secretary of State, and therefore hardly an reliable independent source on the legality of what he is trying to do. Yes, pwned. Again. Secondly, Detzner himself is pwned since the NVRA is not forcing him to allow illegals to vote, it is forcing him to do his housecleaning 90 days prior to the primary/election.

    Too bad if that runs afoul of the plans to kick eligible Democrats off the rolls at the last minute.

    Yes, pwned. Yet again, since nothing in the text of the law supports your claim. Secondly, inaccurate claims of non-citizenship by the state has exceeded accurate claims by a factor of 4,000% (400 vs 10). This alone should render the purge flawed and, therefore, illegal... as if it were not already illegal due to the expired 90 day deadline.
    The Statute supports the legal interpretations that I quoted. Further, you think that our Secretary of State, and Governor, have not worked in conjunction with our Attorney General down here, Pam Biondi, and the ample resources of her office, in preparing this ? And you claim that others are "pwned" ?

    How ****ing stupid !!!!!! How retarded !!!

Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •