Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 548

Thread: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

  1. #361
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,839

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Florida is trying to restore more integrity to the voting process which is its obligation to establish and manage.

    Look. Maybe this is too tough for you to figure out. Rick Scott (Gov. Voldemort) is a Republican partisan, as are his various minions. He isn't trying to remove ineligible persons from the list of voters, he is attempting a purge of those who tend to vote for Democratic candidates and issues - nothing more, nothing less.


    If Florida is "trying to restore more integrity to the voting process", why then have all 67 county election supervisors said they will refuse to use the list provided by the State and that they will not remove any person from the rolls of eligible voters until they have more confirmation?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #362
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Look. Maybe this is too tough for you to figure out. Rick Scott (Gov. Voldemort) is a Republican partisan, as are his various minions. He isn't trying to remove ineligible persons from the list of voters, he is attempting a purge of those who tend to vote for Democratic candidates and issues - nothing more, nothing less.


    If Florida is "trying to restore more integrity to the voting process", why then have all 67 county election supervisors said they will refuse to use the list provided by the State and that they will not remove any person from the rolls of eligible voters until they have more confirmation?
    It's pretty clear when you look at the big picture. If you really wanted to suppress Democratic voting, who would you go after? Well, young people tend to be Democrats. So Florida Republicans pass a
    law that says any new voter registration has to be filed with the state within 48 hours of completion, or incur substantial fines. That makes it almost impossible for groups like The League of Women Voters to operate in Florida. This law has been blocked by the courts.

    Florida judge blocks parts of "onerous" voter registration law - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

    What else? Blacks tend to vote Democratic, so you pass a law severely restricting early voting. Why? Because statistics show that blacks are 50% more likely to vote early than other groups!

    And finally, Hispanics tend to vote Democratic, so of course you try to limit Hispanic participation by putting on tens of thousands of them an affirmative burden to establish their eligibility!

    How ****ing stupid does Scott think we are?
    Last edited by AdamT; 06-13-12 at 04:35 PM.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  3. #363
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Look. Maybe this is too tough for you to figure out. Rick Scott (Gov. Voldemort) is a Republican partisan, as are his various minions. He isn't trying to remove ineligible persons from the list of voters, he is attempting a purge of those who tend to vote for Democratic candidates and issues - nothing more, nothing less.
    Again, the dems are not helping themselves much with this tack. It just reinforces that dems are trying to protect folks who are ineligible to vote because they vote dem when they vote illegally. And shouldn't dems be taken to task for the fact that ineligible voters tend to vote democrat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    If Florida is "trying to restore more integrity to the voting process", why then have all 67 county election supervisors said they will refuse to use the list provided by the State and that they will not remove any person from the rolls of eligible voters until they have more confirmation?
    Because we have a DOJ run by an entirely incompetent Atty Gen. Any of those counties have one ineligible vote in the next election and the supervisor for that county should be doing jail time. They're refusing to do their jobs for political reasons, let them Occupy a cell.

  4. #364
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    It's pretty clear when you look at the big picture. If you really wanted to suppress Democratic voting, who would you go after? Well, young people tend to be Democrats. So Florida Republicans pass a
    law that says any new voter registration has to be filed with the state within 48 hours of completion, or incur substantial fines. That makes it almost impossible for groups like The League of Women Voters to operate in Florida. This law has been blocked by the courts.

    Florida judge blocks parts of "onerous" voter registration law - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

    What else? Blacks tend to vote Democratic, so you pass a law severely restricting early voting. Why? Because statistics show that blacks are 50% more likely to vote early than other groups!

    And finally, Hispanics tend to vote Democratic, so of course you try to limit Hispanic participation by putting on tens of thousands of them an affirmative burden to establish their eligibility!

    How ****ing stupid does Scott think we are?

    Will you say any drivel whatsoever to support illegal voting? Yes you will. You forgot how Scott eats cute puppies and drinks the blood of virgins too....
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #365
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,839

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Look. Maybe this is too tough for you to figure out. Rick Scott (Gov. Voldemort) is a Republican partisan, as are his various minions. He isn't trying to remove ineligible persons from the list of voters, he is attempting a purge of those who tend to vote for Democratic candidates and issues - nothing more, nothing less.
    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Again, the dems are not helping themselves much with this tack. It just reinforces that dems are trying to protect folks who are ineligible to vote because they vote dem when they vote illegally. And shouldn't dems be taken to task for the fact that ineligible voters tend to vote democrat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    If Florida is "trying to restore more integrity to the voting process", why then have all 67 county election supervisors said they will refuse to use the list provided by the State and that they will not remove any person from the rolls of eligible voters until they have more confirmation?
    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Because we have a DOJ run by an entirely incompetent Atty Gen. Any of those counties have one ineligible vote in the next election and the supervisor for that county should be doing jail time. They're refusing to do their jobs for political reasons, let them Occupy a cell.
    Does not compute - more than half of the election supervisors are Republicans, they stopped the purge before the DoJ issued an order
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  6. #366
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Does not compute - more than half of the election supervisors are Republicans, they stopped the purge before the DoJ issued an order

    And once again, if just one of those illegal voters who would have been purged in those counties votes in the next election, the supervisor of that county should spend time in a cell. Has not a thing to do with parties, has very much to do with those supervisors who have a duty to maintain clean roles for a fair election.

  7. #367
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    It's pretty clear when you look at the big picture. If you really wanted to suppress Democratic voting, who would you go after? Well, young people tend to be Democrats. So Florida Republicans pass a
    law that says any new voter registration has to be filed with the state within 48 hours of completion, or incur substantial fines. That makes it almost impossible for groups like The League of Women Voters to operate in Florida. This law has been blocked by the courts.

    Florida judge blocks parts of "onerous" voter registration law - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

    What else? Blacks tend to vote Democratic, so you pass a law severely restricting early voting. Why? Because statistics show that blacks are 50% more likely to vote early than other groups!

    And finally, Hispanics tend to vote Democratic, so of course you try to limit Hispanic participation by putting on tens of thousands of them an affirmative burden to establish their eligibility!

    How ****ing stupid does Scott think we are?
    Well if that conspiracy theory is being played out, then he thinks you are really ****ing stupid. And if that was what was going on, then he would also be right.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  8. #368
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,132

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Look. Maybe this is too tough for you to figure out. The Constitution does not anywhere give the individual citizen the right to vote for President. I empowers the electors, as you are aware.

    The point of all of this is that it is up to each State to decide how it decides electors, to include conducting whatever election process it chooses, so long as it does not violate certain laws. However, the point stands, that its the States that must conduct its own elections. The rules for proving oneself, voting procedures, etc., can therefore vary from state to state.

    Florida is trying to restore more integrity to the voting process which is its obligation to establish and manage. And the Federal Governent, rather than assisting with citizenship rolls and data, is choosing instead to hinder Florida. The Obama DoJ wants a leaky voting system.

    Again, for the dense out there, the point of not having a Constitutional right to vote for President was done so as to empower the States with that responsibility to maintain.
    Really? Why must we be so disingenuous? If we want to argue Fox News or MSNBC talking points, why not just post on those websites? We should all raise our standard of discourse and cut through the BS to discuss really issues; intelligently and with original points.

    Sorry, but I find it very hard to believe that any clear thinking individual actually believes there is a voter fraud problem, or believes that purging the over 100,000 persons from the voter roles of one state is a just action to remedy some 62 cases of voter fraud found nationwide over 3 years.

    DOJ says it will sue Florida over voting rolls purge - CNN
    States Like Florida Disenfranchise Americans in Name of 'Fraud' | Debate Club | US News Opinion

    Let's get real, Republicans do not want, nor have they every wanted broad participation in elections... it just does not favor them.

    Paul Weyrich - "I don't want everybody to vote" (Goo Goo) - YouTube

    The real voter fraud problem is being perpetrated by state governments on its citizens by implementing a solution for which there is no known problem and in the process denying certain citizens their right to participate in election process. I get that each state has broad rights to set eligibility requirements...so what? Using that has an excuse to rationalize wholesale voter suppression is a rationalization.... and for intelligent people to hide behind this rationalization is disingenuous.

    This whole thing is a political game... the Repubs like low turnout, the Dems want to register as many voters as possible. Great, both sides play this game and argue it to their advantage. Everyone on this board with an IQ north of 100 knows this. Come on guys, deal with reality and upgrade the discussion.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 06-14-12 at 01:40 AM.

  9. #369
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Florida is trying to restore more integrity to the voting process
    Trusting Florida Republicans to create integrity in the voting process is like giving all the ballots over to Boss Tweed so he can go through and take out the ones he thinks are suspicious.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  10. #370
    Sage
    Disputatious71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,783
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Since the election has not yet been held, your argument is borne of hysteria.
    It is not my argument but one that agrees with your position.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    Agreed that it is extremely wrong for government to arbitrarily deprive American citizens their right to vote but its more than just two soldiers:


    As the link notes, however, this issue is more than simply cleaning up the legal voter list. While I believe Gov. Scott is wrong to deprive citizens their right to vote, the Obama administration, specifically DHS, is wrong to deny access to the SAVE database as noted in the link.
    But thanks for playing !
    Last edited by Disputatious71; 06-14-12 at 08:20 AM.
    The question is more important than the answer!

Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •