Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 548

Thread: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

  1. #311
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,011

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Florida has requested use of the Department of Homeland Security’s database, SAVE, for months but they haven’t been granted access. Gov. Scott said this prompted them to taking the following action, “This afternoon we’ll be filing a lawsuit, the Florida Secretary of State office will be filing a lawsuit against the Department of Homeland Security to give us that database. We want to have fair, honest elections in our state and so we’ve been put in a position that we have to sue the federal government to get this information.”

    Gov. Rick Scott Says Florida Will Sue Federal Gov’t After DOJ Stops Efforts to Purge Non-Citizens From System | Fox News Insider

    Just more obstruction so that demo's can cheat for Obama.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #312
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,326
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Just more obstruction so that demo's can cheat for Obama.


    j-mac

    Illegals are apparently a large voting block for them.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #313
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Of course programmed. Look back at your own words:


    Do you think a person would come up with that on their own, or do you think they would pick it up from a media drumbeat saying essentially the same thing over and over?


    Sure you do. You just said so above. You don't want to see 'lazy' voters allowed to vote, or at least don't care if they are disenfranchised due to extraordinary requirements (i.e., requirements that are in addition to what the average person has to tolerate).
    Yup, I'm about as programmed as you are. You're repeating the same BS in opposition to this that has been repeated over and over and over.

    And I did come up with on my own and its my opinion based on the actual fact, not some emotional plea to spin this into something its not. There is a system in place to ensure that every eligible voter can cast a vote and be counted. Something you appear to be ignoring.

    And I want every eligible voter to vote. But its the voter has responsibilities in this as well, another thing you're choosing to ignore. I've vote Absentee. Have been doing it for the last 6 years as I haven't resided in FL since. Everytime I move, I update my address with my Elections Supervisor and every election I request a ballot. This my responsibility to do so. Its every voters responsibility to ensure they're voter registration/eligibility is current. AGAIN, the system in place allows a voter to do this up to 48 hours after election day, GUARANTEEING their vote will be counted.

    I'll ask you, why do you think those opposing the law are fighting it instead of educating FL voters on the process in case they end up on this list? Currently, only 2,600 people have been placed on the purge list and sent notifications. Don't you think it would much easier to get a hold of the list and notify the recipients of ways to rectify it? Bottom line, the true nature of the opposition is because they don't want the system looked at too closely, they want the prospect of ineligible voters to vote because they believe that it will benefit them at the polls.

  4. #314
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 08:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Florida has requested use of the Department of Homeland Security’s database, SAVE, for months but they haven’t been granted access.
    Just more obstruction so that demo's can cheat for Obama.
    Florida is lying, as has already been documented in this thread.

    Our state partner, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV), has access to the SAVE database and explored the possibility of using SAVE to update their information about the potential non-citizens, which would have given us the confirmation we need to identify ineligible voters. However, the agreement between your agency and DHSMV does not allow DHSMV to continually update their records, [...]

    http://www.dos.state.fl.us/news/comm..._5-31-2012.pdf
    Clearly the bone of contention is continual access to the database, just to 'browse around', I suppose.

    However, this is all a red herring since it is -- by federal law -- too close to the election for Florida to be tampering with the voter registration rolls.

  5. #315
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-21-14 @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Just a question, I may have missed it, but has anyone proven, other than conjecture, what the political party registrations are for the folks who were notified? We keep hearing most of them were dems, but how do we know that?
    The articles say they're overwhelmingly democrats. What they're doing is finding names of illegal immigrants and then removing everybody with the same name. So, if there is a known illegal immigrant named "Jose Garcia", they remove all Jose Garcia's from the registration database. So, they're basically all Hispanic names, and less of them are Cuban names because the Cuban community in Florida is more established, and the Cubans are the Hispanics who vote Republican. So, non-Cuban Hispanics in Florida means Democrats.

    As a side note, I don't know if they did this part again this time, or if they intend to, but last time they did this in 2000 with felons what happened was that they felt that the initial list based on exact name matches didn't have enough names, so they sent it back with instructions to "broaden their search". What that meant was that they didn't just exclude people who have the same name, but even people who had similar names. So, like if there was a felon named "Paul Johns" they would also exclude "Paul Johnson" and "Paula Johns" and whatnot. That's how they got up to 10s of thousands of names, again mostly minorities, removed that time.

    Florida Republicans are old pros at this game. It is hands down the most politically corrupt state. They need to be on a very, very, short leash.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  6. #316
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-21-14 @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Not sure why all the "sky if falling" rhetoric is being spewed. This process isn't an instant purge. You get notified that you're on the potential purge list. If it's in error, you have 30 days to provide the proof otherwise. Even if you move and never get the notice, you can still vote. You show up, you discover you're removed from the rolls. You can still cast a provisional ballot in which you have 48 hours to provide the documentation needed for your vote to count.

    So out of 1,637 people, it appears that 1,169 people in Miami-Dade county have illegally registered to vote.
    No, no. The overwhelming majority of people who get the notice and are eligible to vote presumably won't bother getting it sorted out.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  7. #317
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,011

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Florida is lying, as has already been documented in this thread.


    Clearly the bone of contention is continual access to the database, just to 'browse around', I suppose.

    However, this is all a red herring since it is -- by federal law -- too close to the election for Florida to be tampering with the voter registration rolls.

    The video provided with the quote had Scott interviewed on Cavuto, in it he laid out the process pretty clearly, and even if your eligibility has been questioned, you can either provide what they ask for, or if you can't get it in on time, then you are still allowed to vote with a provisional ballot until it is cleared up...

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #318
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 08:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    [...] I'll ask you, why do you think those opposing the law are fighting it instead of educating FL voters on the process [...]
    What law? There is no law; the governor simply decided to purge some people from the voter registration rolls in an illegal manner (as noted, it is too close to the election). They should have sorted this out on a case-by-case basis a long time ago, instead of trying to institute a bum rush at the last minute (again, circumstantial evidence of an attempt to reduce the voter rolls rather than correct them).

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    [...] they want the prospect of ineligible voters to vote because they believe that it will benefit them at the polls.
    You have no evidence of any ineligible voters voting. What Scott is doing is creating a scenario where eligible voters will be removed from the rolls -- just as the 385 in predominately Democratic Miami-Dade were, until they fought back. Scott, and the right in general with all this voter fraud hysteria, has created a huge strawman; nothing more, nothing less.

    You have no proof to substantiate your argument, which is quite simply based on hysteria. The proof -- the 385 in Miami-Dade -- all refutes your argument. In fact it refuted it about a hundred posts ago, and the whole right wing voter fraud strawman was refuted months ago -- so why are you still arguing?

  9. #319
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 08:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The video provided with the quote had Scott interviewed on Cavuto, in it he laid out the process pretty clearly, and even if your eligibility has been questioned, you can either provide what they ask for, or if you can't get it in on time, then you are still allowed to vote with a provisional ballot until it is cleared up...
    Don't care. It's still harassment/intimidation/disefranchisement. Sure, you can vote, we're just gonna make it tough on you... if we think you might vote Democrat. We know what he's doing. We know why he's doing it. Florida has a history of it (and they are far from alone). In 2000 they gummed up the process so bad that SCOTUS should have simply thrown their electoral votes out.

    And in this case, some of Florida's arguments are so stupid that it does indeed make one fear for the future of the republic.
    Last edited by Karl; 06-12-12 at 06:50 PM.

  10. #320
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,011

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Don't care. It's still harassment/intimidation/disenfranchisement.

    Here is where you could have stopped your post and been at least half honest. The half that is honest is "Don't care".... And why? because it doesn't matter if it is legitimate or not. The fact that the conservative side in here is arguing for a fair and honest vote for everyone, but that is not good enough for the liberal/progressive who would rather that illegals fraud our vote because in the end they are a voting block for the demo's.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 32 of 55 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •