Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 548

Thread: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

  1. #291
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    The hypocrisy in this thread would be astounding if I wasnt so used to it....As usual the far right spews the same nonesense that its only democrats that cheat on elections..and they conveniently ignore all the times republicans have been busted swindling elections.

    Heres the simple truth...THEY BOTH CHEAT whenever they can.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with eliminating those not eligible to vote off the rolls...There is something wrong with the way rick scott has tried to do it and its been proven most of the names he provided for removal were legitimate...if he would have started the witch hunt for democrats when he first got elected, it might have been more palatable...but id bet the koch brothers and his benefactors the teaparty gave him his marching orders.
    I voted for scott....He could never get my vote again for a variety of reasons...hes raised the cost of everything for consumers and citizens in fla...from Electricity increases...to HORRIFIC hurricane and property insurance increases...every thing he does is for the RICH and famous and business...Bring Back Jeb

  2. #292
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    [...] Even if you move and never get the notice, you can still vote. You show up, you discover you're removed from the rolls. You can still cast a provisional ballot in which you have 48 hours to provide the documentation needed for your vote to count. [...]
    I'd have to see a link on that one. Even if you are correct, however, it is still an impediment to vote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    [...]So out of 1,637 people, it appears that 1,169 people in Miami-Dade county have illegally registered to vote.
    I'd have to see a link on that one too, since 1,243 people in Miami-Dade did not respond (your math indicates that by not responding, they are illegally registered). See the graphic in The Bizarre and Confusing Standoff Between Florida and DOJ Over Voter Purging | The Nation

    Reversing the Miami-Dade math (1638 minus 1243 minus 385) and assuming the figures provided in the graphic are correct, they have
    positively identified 10 people that were either illegally registered to vote or claimed they were (responded) but failed to produce any evidence. And they have
    positively mis-identified 385 people that have proven they are legally registered to vote.

  3. #293
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I'd have to see a link on that one. Even if you are correct, however, it is still an impediment to vote.


    I'd have to see a link on that one too, since 1,243 people in Miami-Dade did not respond (your math indicates that by not responding, they are illegally registered). See the graphic in The Bizarre and Confusing Standoff Between Florida and DOJ Over Voter Purging | The Nation

    Reversing the Miami-Dade math (1638 minus 1243 minus 385) and assuming the figures provided in the graphic are correct, they have
    positively identified 10 people that were either illegally registered to vote or claimed they were (responded) but failed to produce any evidence. And they have
    positively mis-identified 385 people that have proven they are legally registered to vote.
    Still doesn't really matter. If they are truly elligible, even with the "purge," they can still vote under FL's provisional ballot provision. This doesn't disenfranchise anyone. And its not a impediment as you'll still vote on election day. This boils down to maintaining a current address with your voter registration. I've moved well over a dozen times since I was 18 and update my FL voter registration each time.

    If you are challenged on any other grounds or your eligibility is questioned, you will be allowed to vote a provisional ballot.
    You will be provided a written notice of your rights as a provisional ballot voter. (Section 101.048, F.S.) You have the right to present further evidence of your eligibility if you want up to 2 days after the election. Depending on the reason why you voted a provisional ballot, there may no further need in order for your provisional ballot to count:

    If the reason you voted a provisional ballot is solely because you did not provide an acceptable photo and signature identification at the polls, you do not need to provide any further evidence of your eligibility in order for your ballot to count. The local canvassing board will simply compare your signature on the provisional ballot certificate with the signature on your voter registration record. If the signatures match, your provisional ballot will be counted.

    If you vote a provisional ballot for other reasons (for example, your eligibility is challenged by another person, you are in the wrong precinct when you vote, you do not appear on the precinct register, etc.), you have the opportunity to bring in evidence to your respective supervisor of elections no later than 5 p.m., of the second day following the election. (Section 101.048, F.S.) The local canvassing board will examine your provisional ballot certificate, and any and all other information and evidence, if anything is available. The board must count your provisional ballot unless the board determines, based on preponderance of the evidence, that you are not entitled to vote.
    Frequently Asked Questions - Florida Division of Elections - Department of State

  4. #294
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    Next up, "You're under arrest. When you prove you are innocent, then you will be released". Sorry, but that isn't the way our government should work.
    Nonsensical. You can't even compare being arrested and having to prove innocence with having to provide proof your're who you say you are and elligible to vote in the US. No incarceration.

    Presumption of innocence exist in the US consitution via provisions in the Bill of Rights. The Consitution allows states to devise laws which determine voter elligibility as long as they don't interfere with Amendments forbidding discrimination by sex, race, age, religion, etc.

  5. #295
    Advisor Rising Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United States of America
    Last Seen
    12-10-14 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    331

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Nonsensical. You can't even compare being arrested and having to prove innocence with having to provide proof your're who you say you are and elligible to vote in the US.
    Yes, I can. Those voters have a right to vote. Depriving them of that right because of a net cast too wide is the responsibility of the state to fix, not the individual American citizen wrongly affected.

  6. #296
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Read this morning that the State of Florida purged 53,000 dead voters from their roles.

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    Yes, I can. Those voters have a right to vote. Depriving them of that right because of a net cast too wide is the responsibility of the state to fix, not the individual American citizen wrongly affected.
    No. It is not. The state has every right to establish protocols by which they verify eligibility to vote. Of course folks will show up that are legal voters, but whom for some reason, their info is not properly on file. The State's only obligation is to provide a reasonable remedy.

    Florida is doing its job. The legal voters of Florida are fine with this.

  8. #298
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Still doesn't really matter. If they are truly elligible, even with the "purge," they can still vote under FL's provisional ballot provision. This doesn't disenfranchise anyone. And its not a impediment [...]
    Of course it's an impediment -- it's an extra hoop to jump thru. If 1,000 perfectly eligible people are forced to vote a provisional ballot, then return with proof that they are eligible, then a certain percentage of those people will not jump thru that extra hoop and not return to validate their vote, even though their vote may be perfectly valid.

    That the vast majority of these voters happen to vote Democrat is a mere coincidence

    Just make everyone vote a provisional ballot and make them all come back within 2 days to verify their citizenship. After all, it's not an impediment . . . . . .

  9. #299
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    No. It is not. The state has every right to establish protocols by which they verify eligibility to vote. [...]
    So it would seem. Example:

    Democrat? Not eligible to vote.

    Also:

    In a letter released on Thursday, the federal government claimed that Scott’s purge violates the 1965 Voting Rights Act — which requires the state to seek federal approval of its campaign — and the National Voter Registration Act. That measure says that “a State shall complete, not later than 90 days prior to the date of a primary or general election for Federal office, any program the purpose of which is to systematically remove the names of ineligible voters from the official lists of eligible voters.” As a result, Florida should have finished the process by May 16.
    Last edited by Karl; 06-12-12 at 05:05 PM.

  10. #300
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Sun View Post
    Yes, I can. Those voters have a right to vote. Depriving them of that right because of a net cast too wide is the responsibility of the state to fix, not the individual American citizen wrongly affected.
    No one has been "deprived" their right to vote. There are provisions in place for someone who is incorrectly removed from the rolls. Not sure why this isn't getting through to some on here. Even if they haven't responded for whatever reason to notification of being purged, they can still show up on election day an vote. They just have to provide proof of their eligibility. This information is not secret and given as part of the training for poll workers. Not sure why this is such a monumental ordeal. Its no more difficult than going to the corner store and buying a six pack of beer. You need an ID to buy it right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Of course it's an impediment -- it's an extra hoop to jump thru. If 1,000 perfectly eligible people are forced to vote a provisional ballot, then return with proof that they are eligible, then a certain percentage of those people will not jump thru that extra hoop and not return to validate their vote, even though their vote may be perfectly valid.

    That the vast majority of these voters happen to vote Democrat is a mere coincidence

    Just make everyone vote a provisional ballot and make them all come back within 2 days to verify their citizenship. After all, it's not an impediment . . . . . .
    If they bring the information that makes them eligible, then they don't have to return. They've been notified of the purge, given time to respond and validate their eligibility. There is system in place that they can still cast their vote on election day.

    So what you're saying, someone might get frustrated and say its not worth coming back? If thats the case, they don't take their right to vote seriously and I say say screw em!
    Last edited by Fishstyx; 06-12-12 at 05:28 PM.

Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •