Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 548

Thread: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

  1. #211
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlefinch View Post
    And that makes huge news as "disenfrancisement".

    Meanwhile, huge numbers of military votes are routinely never counted.

    Truth On Target: Military Votes Not Counted 98,000 Lost Military Ballots
    71% of Military Ballots not counted in the 2010 election. [ArthurK]

    This is an outrage, but you certainly do not hear people like me crying crocodile tears over it. In fact, one news item that most people probably never heard about a week or so back:

    Agreement Reached to Protect Voting Rights of Military & Overseas Californians | KSEE 24 News - Central Valley's News Station: Fresno-Visalia - News, Sports, Weather | Local News

    On 29 May, the Justice Department signed an agreement with California over military ballots.

    The agreement was filed at the same time as a lawsuit brought under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA). The Justice Department filed suit in response to the state’s failure to send absentee ballots to thousands of California’s eligible military and overseas voters for the June 5, 2012, federal primary election at least 45 days prior to the election, as required by UOCAVA. The complaint also alleges that the state failed to ensure that ballots were sent by the voters’ preferred method of transmission (by mail or electronically), as required by federal law.

    Which is just wonderful, considering the primary was 5 June. By the time this agreement was reached, it was far to late for any out of state military to vote. This is nothing new, this has gone on for decades, but nobody cared. I know that when I was in the military and registered to vote in California, never once did I ever get my absentee ballot packet on time. I remember one time in particular, when I got my ballot package for the 1988 Presidential Election. In May 1989.

    It is things like this that make me really wonder at people that are getting all upset about the "rights" of people who are not even entitled to vote. How about giving up some of that outrage to US citizens who are serving in the military? People who are serving for all of you, and are routinely denied their right to vote because of beauro-rats who do not want their vote counted?
    If military voters are being disenfranchised then it's definitely an issue, however the way I understand it is that overseas absentee ballots often go uncounted because they will not be enough to change the outcome of a particular race anyways.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #212
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlefinch View Post
    Nice try.

    Now try for some facts. Which Party voted to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1964, by 15% or more over the other party? I will give you one guess, and it was not the Democrats.

    Once again, race card fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Be wary of trying to equate liberals with Democrats, and conservatives with Republicans, especially when it comes to the parties of the 1950s and 60s. The split was along north-south lines rather than by party. I'm sure you're familiar with these numbers now, but just to refresh our memories, from wikipedia:

    So if you see that if we split the analysis along regional lines, Northern Democrats were, percentage-wise, more supportive of the bill than Northern Republicans, and Southern Republicans consistently more against the bill than Southern Dems.
    Your reading comprehension failure was exposed by a kid who isn't even out of high school yet. How do you feel about it?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #213
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 11:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,357

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Be wary of trying to equate liberals with Democrats, and conservatives with Republicans, especially when it comes to the parties of the 1950s and 60s. The split was along north-south lines rather than by party. I'm sure you're familiar with these numbers now, but just to refresh our memories, from wikipedia:
    And here is the chart you missed:

    Democratic Party: 152–96 (61–39%)
    Republican Party: 138–34 (80–20%)

    Cloture in the Senate:[16]
    Democratic Party: 44–23 (66–34%)
    Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)

    The Senate version:[15]
    Democratic Party: 46–21 (69–31%)
    Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)

    The Senate version, voted on by the House:[15]
    Democratic Party: 153–91 (63–37%)
    Republican Party: 136–35 (80–20%)

    Statistics swing both ways. And it may make you feel better by saying it was a "Southern Thing" if you like. And that was actually a landmark bill, since it was the first Civil Rights bill that most Democrats actually supported. The previous bills all passed normally with the majority of Democrats voting agaisnt them.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  4. #214
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 11:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,357

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    If military voters are being disenfranchised then it's definitely an issue, however the way I understand it is that overseas absentee ballots often go uncounted because they will not be enough to change the outcome of a particular race anyways.
    And that is the excuse? 98,000+, but screw it, they do not matter anyways.

    I thought that is what this was all about, making every vote count, not removing the vote from people. Now I guess it is OK to do so, since they do not matter anyways?

    have I stepped into the Twilight Zone here?
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  5. #215
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If that were their only attack on the voting (and more importantly human) rights of minorities you'd be right. Sadly, Southern states had that whole "Jim Crow" issue only a few decades ago. Furthermore, there are still people alive today not much older than myself who remember a time when the South was intimidating not just blacks who tried to vote but killing people coming to ensure they had that right. In general, **** the South. It's got over 150 years of history proving that when it comes to voting, it doesn't really like anybody who isn't white and protestant.
    Jim crow laws disappeared in the 60's.. it's time to move on... it's time to treat states equally under the law.

    the real issue has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with party affiliation and qualified voters.... only the race baiters keep hanging on to race issues long after they have been legally rectified.

    there are states other than southern states who engage in voter purges as well, but they are not under federal control... they have the right to handle their issues themselves..southern states are denied that right.... and thus we are faced with inequality under the law.

  6. #216
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 11:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,357

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Your reading comprehension failure was exposed by a kid who isn't even out of high school yet. How do you feel about it?
    No, I simply did not focus on that part of your argument, because it had nothing to do with what I was discussing.

    You are one of those that sees everything as black and white, and that is fine. One side is good, the other is evil. I got it. You are a Liberal, that means I am evil because I am a Conservative.

    I simply rejected that and concentrated on something else. You still did not make your point regardless.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. - John Stuart Mill

  7. #217
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Oozlefinch View Post
    No, I simply did not focus on that part of your argument, because it had nothing to do with what I was discussing.
    Oh so you completely ignored the point in my post and fought a straw man? Glad to hear.

    You are one of those that sees everything as black and white, and that is fine. One side is good, the other is evil. I got it. You are a Liberal, that means I am evil because I am a Conservative.
    Lol, here's a violin:

    Attachment 67129016

    If you purchase a platinum donation, I'll make sure it plays a sad song just for you.

    I simply rejected that and concentrated on something else. You still did not make your point regardless.
    Wait, wait, the point is that CONSERVATIVES on various historical occasions have tried to white wash their attempts to discriminate against minorities and you focused on some Republican v. Democrat nonsense and then called it a day? I'm not even sure whether I can call that trolling or stupidity. For the sake of not getting gigged on uncertainty I'll refrain from calling it anything and let you move along in your merry straw man way.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #218
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    Jim crow laws disappeared in the 60's.. it's time to move on... it's time to treat states equally under the law.
    You live in such a naive little world. I guess if we go by your standard systemic discrimination ceased to exist with the federal ban on such laws? You remind me of all those people who think racism is no longer an issue in America because Obama got elected. Never you mind there exists anywhere from 20-30% of this country that probably didn't vote for him cause they thought he was a muslim who wanted to kill white people.

    the real issue has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with party affiliation and qualified voters.... only the race baiters keep hanging on to race issues long after they have been legally rectified.

    there are states other than southern states who engage in voter purges as well, but they are not under federal control... they have the right to handle their issues themselves..southern states are denied that right.... and thus we are faced with inequality under the law.
    Voter fraud is not an issue in the US and hasn't been an issue since the beginning of the 20th century.

    /end thread.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #219
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,346

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yeah, and you just might be.

    My understanding is that there are over 2 million federal employees. Isn't there an agency somewhere which can figure out who is eligible to vote?

    It's been over 235 year now. Aren't the citizens getting a little impatient for the Feds to solve the problem?
    What problem? There has never been any data to suggest that voting by non-citizens is happening at all. It's all just an effort to reinstate Jim Crow laws all over the south. It's despicable and very un-American to attempt to supress the vote. I hope you would agree.

  10. #220
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,346

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    Jim crow laws disappeared in the 60's.. it's time to move on... it's time to treat states equally under the law.

    the real issue has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with party affiliation and qualified voters.... only the race baiters keep hanging on to race issues long after they have been legally rectified.

    there are states other than southern states who engage in voter purges as well, but they are not under federal control... they have the right to handle their issues themselves..southern states are denied that right.... and thus we are faced with inequality under the law.
    More nonsense...... all States are subject to Federal voting rights legislation and supressing the vote in this manner is illegal in any State. If we wanted to single out the south we would take Scott out to the whipping post for even trying this ****. He makes a mockery of our Democracy.

Page 22 of 55 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •