Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 548

Thread: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

  1. #171
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Except you're building a strawman here. We can just as easily presume the resulting number of "legitimate non-citizens" is 5000 or 8000. As for the "elderly, or handicapped, and lack transportation", if they can't get to the office to verify their voting right how are they getting to the polls to vote? You know, even in Florida (as screwed up as that state is), there is free transport and bussing for the elderly and handicapped. And hey, they can call their registered party - you better believe the party will give them a ride to maintain their registration.
    First, we know from the preliminary results that the lists include a tiny percentage of illegitimate voters. Out of more than 2600 persons named, only SIX have been found to have voted. Busted: The 6 Florida voters who shouldn’t have - Florida - MiamiHerald.com

    Second, people who can't get to a polling place can vote by absentee ballot. Obviously it would be far more difficult to attend a hearing to prove their innocence.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  2. #172
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Purging the lists for illegal voters is always good. There are going to be misshaps and I don't think this is a "Republicans want to block minorities" vote kind of a thing.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  3. #173
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Did anyone read the article?
    That doesn't sound as unreasonable as the first half of the article makes it out to be. They started with a wide database, cross-checked records and came up with 2700 people that don't appear to be citizens. Then, they asked them to prove they have the right to vote.
    The 2,600 appeared to be the first batch; they have 182,000 to work on, and one would presume they intend to challenge all 182,000.

    Out of those 2,600 they got at least 400 wrong (400 who responded and proved themselves citizens). The bigger problem is the 1,700 that didn't respond -- how many of those are legal voters that simply didn't respond for whatever reason? They'll be dumped after 30 days.

    Bottom line, they could be less draconian about it, such as allowing those on the list to provide proof of citizenship at the polls when they actually show up to vote. Given FL's history, and the history of the GOP in general when it comes to voter disenfranchisement, odds are that the intent to purge Democrat voters is stronger than the urge to clean up the voting rolls in a non-partisan fashion.

    [Secretary of State for the State of Florida (and co-chair of Bush's Florida election efforts) Katherine] Harris's purge of ineligible voters in Florida also removed eligible voters. Harris, along with state division of elections director Clay Roberts, and Governor Jeb Bush used an inaccurate ineligible-voter list that eliminated a disproportionate number of non-felon African Americans from Florida voter rolls. According to journalist Jake Tapper, the problem went uncorrected for two years despite the warnings and complaints of elections supervisor Ion Sancho, and affected the 2000 presidential election.[15]

    Katherine Harris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  4. #174
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,713

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Still waiting to hear a legitimate reason why purging the voter rolls of ethnic minorities is a good thing.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  5. #175
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    First, we know from the preliminary results that the lists include a tiny percentage of illegitimate voters. Out of more than 2600 persons named, only SIX have been found to have voted. Busted: The 6 Florida voters who shouldn’t have - Florida - MiamiHerald.com
    That a nice turn you made, going from a "we can suppose" scenerio to this. Two things about this report - it's what's KNOWN thus far, and it does not say, or even guess how many dead voters were purged. How many of those dead also voted somehow after they were dead? How many of those asked for verification were actually non-ciitizens or not eligible to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Second, people who can't get to a polling place can vote by absentee ballot. Obviously it would be far more difficult to attend a hearing to prove their innocence.
    Don't know if you've ever worked with the elderly, the disadvantaged or the handicapped, but if you had, you'd know they require, they lean, a great deal on government services. There are, in communties across America and certainly throughout Florida, daily shuttles and transportation for those folks to government centers so they can do their business.

    If a person is bed-ridden, and the sort to want to continue the exercise of their vote, I guarantee they've already made arrangements for interfacing with the government, local, state and federal.

    Btw, what is the process for verification. You seem to have info I haven't seen posted. Is there a hearing?
    Last edited by clownboy; 06-10-12 at 06:04 PM.

  6. #176
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Still waiting to hear a legitimate reason why purging the voter rolls of ethnic minorities is a good thing.
    There are many illegal Hispanics in America. There will be those that cry racism and "wicked GOP" due to this fact because they want to see it as a race issue and not an illegal voting issue. No one wants to purge the roles of legal minorities, but odds are many of those who are illegally registered happen to be Hispanic due to the numbers of illegal immigrants from nations where Hispanics make up a majority of the population.
    Last edited by digsbe; 06-10-12 at 06:01 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #177
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Still waiting to hear a legitimate reason why purging the voter rolls of ethnic minorities is a good thing.
    Still waiting to hear that this is in fact what's going on. The attempt is to purge the voter rolls of those who have no right to vote. It would make sense that in Florida, the majority of those folks who do not have the right to vote (mostly non-citizens) are "ethnic minorities".

  8. #178
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,713

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    There are many illegal Hispanics in America. There will be those that cry racism and "wicked GOP" due to this fact because they want to see it as a race issue and not an illegal voting issue. No one wants to purge the roles of legal minorities, but odds are many of those who are illegally registered happen to be Hispanic due to the numbers of illegal immigrants from nations where Hispanics make up a majority of the population.
    Post proof or retract. The pro-purgers owe an explanation as to why the DoJ is investigating this problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Still waiting to hear that this is in fact what's going on. The attempt is to purge the voter rolls of those who have no right to vote. It would make sense that in Florida, the majority of those folks who do not have the right to vote (mostly non-citizens) are "ethnic minorities".
    Use of quote marks? Do you deny that Hispanics are ethnic minorities? And they represent 23% of Florida's population, yet they represent 58% of the purge. Yep, that's not racist.

    But go ahead, GOP. Keep wondering why the fastest ethic group in America is becoming more and more Democratic by the day.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  9. #179
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Post proof or retract. The pro-purgers owe an explanation as to why the DoJ is investigating this problem.
    You mean the same DoJ that stopped prosecution of NBP members wielding nightsticks outside a Philly voting place? Explain that DoJ?

    Use of quote marks? Do you deny that Hispanics are ethnic minorities? And they represent 23% of Florida's population, yet they represent 58% of the purge. Yep, that's not racist.

    But go ahead, GOP. Keep wondering why the fastest ethic group in America is becoming more and more Democratic by the day.
    Probably because they are buying the lies of liberals about free stuff.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #180
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Feds to Florida: halt non-citizen voter purge

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Purging the lists for illegal voters is always good. There are going to be misshaps and I don't think this is a "Republicans want to block minorities" vote kind of a thing.
    No offense, but that strikes me as pretty naive. Politicians actually operate at a much, much, more explicit level with this kind of stuff than that. They study things like what time female Asians between 18 and 34 that work in professional jobs are most likely to vote and then fight tooth and nail to get the polling places open later or closed earlier depending on whether that demographic tends to support them or not. The notion that they would do something like this purge without having considered how it would affect the demographics of the electorate is simply not plausible. Especially given that their purge of supposed felons last time removed many thousands of legal voters, overwhelmingly minorities, from the roles for having names that were similar to the names of felons. For example, they would remove "Raynesha Johns" because there was a "Raynesha Johnson" who committed a felony somewhere in the US once.

    They know exactly what they are doing.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •