Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 197

Thread: Massive cyber attack on Iran came from U.S., report says

  1. #11
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Massive cyber attack on Iran came from U.S., report says

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    The problem is that if this did come from the US gov or even private entities specifically to attack a country in some capacity, then we can't exactly be outraged when some other country reciprocates in kind and attacks the USA.
    Who cares about outrage, I want preparedness. The US has been under "attack" before, albeit, low tech in the form of espionage, sabotage, using aircraft as missiles flying into buildings etc. The virus was a very useful weapon against an entity that wants to blow us up.

  2. #12
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Massive cyber attack on Iran came from U.S., report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Who cares about outrage, I want preparedness. The US has been under "attack" before, albeit, low tech in the form of espionage, sabotage, using aircraft as missiles flying into buildings etc. The virus was a very useful weapon against an entity that wants to blow us up.
    It doesn't matter who was attacked in this instance, only that an international precedent is being set, and that the USA will have no moral high ground to protest any such attacks upon them.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Massive cyber attack on Iran came from U.S., report says

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    It doesn't matter who was attacked in this instance, only that an international precedent is being set, and that the USA will have no moral high ground to protest any such attacks upon them.
    Perhaps they should just let the Iranians have the "moral high ground".

    Who would listen to any American protests anyway?

  4. #14
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Massive cyber attack on Iran came from U.S., report says

    If Iran had launched a similar virus against the US, we would consider it an act of war.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #15
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Massive cyber attack on Iran came from U.S., report says

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    It doesn't matter who was attacked in this instance, only that an international precedent is being set, and that the USA will have no moral high ground to protest any such attacks upon them.
    There is precedent and this is not the only time IIRC...in 1982 "...the United States discovered that Russia was stealing data on United States technology..."

    To illustrate the destructive capability of Stuxnet, the researchers referenced an oft-cited 1982 CIA digital attack on the Siberian pipeline that resulted in an explosion a fifth the size of the atomic bomb detonated over Hiroshima. According to the never-substantiated story, the United States discovered that Russia was stealing data on United States technology. So the CIA hatched a plot to insert a logic bomb into software that the agency knew the Russians were purchasing from a Canadian firm to operate pumps and valves on their natural gas pipeline. The equipment worked fine initially, but at a preprogrammed point, it caused valves in the pipeline to malfunction, creating a pressure buildup that exploded into a fireball so large it was captured by orbiting satellites.
    How Digital Detectives Deciphered Stuxnet, the Most Menacing Malware in History | Threat Level | Wired.com

  6. #16
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Massive cyber attack on Iran came from U.S., report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Perhaps they should just let the Iranians have the "moral high ground".

    Who would listen to any American protests anyway?
    I would say the majority of technologically advanced countries would side with the USA if they were cyber-attacked, as their countries could just as easily be next. Iran is not out concern. The people in the mid-east should worry about it, not us. As soon as they have the ability to reach USA with a nuclear payload, then we will worry about them. till then, why the **** do we care?

  7. #17
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Massive cyber attack on Iran came from U.S., report says

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    I would say the majority of technologically advanced countries would side with the USA if they were cyber-attacked, as their countries could just as easily be next. Iran is not out concern. The people in the mid-east should worry about it, not us. As soon as they have the ability to reach USA with a nuclear payload, then we will worry about them. till then, why the **** do we care?
    Should the US sit and twiddle it's thumbs or act responsibly in threat assessment and protection?

  8. #18
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Massive cyber attack on Iran came from U.S., report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Should the US sit and twiddle it's thumbs or act responsibly in threat assessment and protection?
    Like the bang up job we did with Iraq?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Massive cyber attack on Iran came from U.S., report says

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    I would say the majority of technologically advanced countries would side with the USA if they were cyber-attacked, as their countries could just as easily be next. Iran is not out concern. The people in the mid-east should worry about it, not us. As soon as they have the ability to reach USA with a nuclear payload, then we will worry about them. till then, why the **** do we care?
    The world has become a great deal smaller through technology and thus any country can be a concern, including Iran. Don't expect the department of defense to ask your advice any time soon.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Massive cyber attack on Iran came from U.S., report says

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Like the bang up job we did with Iraq?
    Yes, something like that.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •