Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: Verdict Reached in John Edwards Case

  1. #51
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: Verdict Reached in John Edwards Case

    Maybe some of the jurors will share why they deliberated for 9 days but ended up deadlocked on all but one of the charges.

  2. #52
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,667

    Re: Verdict Reached in John Edwards Case

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Maybe some of the jurors will share why they deliberated for 9 days but ended up deadlocked on all but one of the charges.
    Beacuse the law(s) involved are intentionally meant to protect ALL politicians from getting convicted of misuing these "campaign" funds, thus they are very strict sounding yet written to be as hard to apply (prove) as possible. Pay particular attention to the "intent" nonsense contained within them; by placing at least two people between the "candidate" on both the "recept of" and the "spending of" ends of handling these funds and you can almost guarantee that the "intent" of the candidate is impossible to prove. ;-)
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 06-01-12 at 04:27 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #53
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Verdict Reached in John Edwards Case

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Beacuse the law(s) involved are intentionally meant to protect ALL politicians from getting convicted of misuing these "campaign" funds, thus they are very strict sounding yet written to be as hard to apply (prove) as possible. Pay particular attention to the "intent" nonsense contained within them; by placing at least two people between the "candidate" on both the "recept of" and the "spending of" ends of handling these funds and you can almost guarantee that the "intent" of the candidate is impossible to prove. ;-)
    Bingo! That's exactly the problem.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  4. #54
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Verdict Reached in John Edwards Case

    I was disappointed. I know this was a complex and precedent-setting case, but I wouldn't be surprised if the jury deadlocked along partisian lines. It certainly sends a message to other politicians that playing fast and loose with campaign laws is not a big deal.

  5. #55
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Verdict Reached in John Edwards Case

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    they deliberated for 9 days but ended up deadlocked...
    Wouldn't that actually make sense? obviously some were sure of his innocence and some sure of his guilt.

  6. #56
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,153

    Re: Verdict Reached in John Edwards Case

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I was disappointed. I know this was a complex and precedent-setting case, but I wouldn't be surprised if the jury deadlocked along partisian lines. It certainly sends a message to other politicians that playing fast and loose with campaign laws is not a big deal.
    uh, i think the citizens united ruling told them that
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Verdict Reached in John Edwards Case

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    uh, i think the citizens united ruling told them that
    Citizens United had not a damn thing to do with this. The bottom line is that folks ought to be able to spend, or waste, their money anyway they want to. So long as it does not harm anyone else, ala Libertarian think. I would estimate that as being at the gut-bottom of feelings for those who did not want to convict Edwards.

    Bunny Mellon, and Bunny Mellon alone, gave Edwards enough money, carte blanche, for him to take care of his dirty laundry. I am fine with that, and I despise Edwards.

  8. #58
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Verdict Reached in John Edwards Case

    He could have done so much more and even become president, but he threw it all away and for a stupid reason. It's tragic that his wife died. I always liked her, and I feel sorry that his children may also have to lose their dad. Very sad.

  9. #59
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Verdict Reached in John Edwards Case

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I totally and entirely did not expect this. I though sure he was going to be convicted on at least some.
    Me too. He has been cursed though. He will get his one day.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  10. #60
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,153

    Re: Verdict Reached in John Edwards Case

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Me too. He has been cursed though. He will get his one day.
    didn't his getting it get him in this situation in the first place?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •