Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 253

Thread: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

  1. #71
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Then what compelling state interest is served by giving tax breaks to the married? Does that then not amount to simple discrimination against the non-married, if no compelling state interest is served by that discrimination? What compelling state interest is served by the taxation of those too young to vote (taxation w/o representation)?
    To promote social stability. That has always been one of the reasons. less fooling around means more stability, more building toward a stable society. It helps the soicety to include and assimilate more than it does to have too many ouside the mainstream.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Face it Tigger. You picked the wrong horse in this race. Doesn't make you a bad person. Just makes you a loser. No shame in that.
    That's fine. I have no problem being a loser in this sort of situation. I'd rather be the owner of the horse that finishes dead last because it was treated right than the owner of the winning horse that has been horrifically abused and mistreated from the moment it was born. Being on the RIGHT side of something is never a losing proposition, Cap. Your namesake, even as a fictional character, has always understood and believed that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    You're on the losing side of this issue Tigger. You should learn better how to pick your horses.
    No. I'm content to be the loser for the Right reason rather than a winner for the Wrong one, Cap. If/when it gets to a point that I can't even find a horse in the race, I've got a "retirement" plan sitting on my dresser ready to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    In fact, he pretty much loses at everything. That's what happens when you believe idiotic things.
    No. That's what happens when you are one of the few people who refuses to betray their principles simply to go with the majority opinion. Better to lose honorably, than to win dishonorably.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What? The amendment process is a very good thing, otherwise we would still have slavery, no women's vote and no right to bear arms.
    No. Without the amendment process the RTKBA and the elimination of slavery would have been written into the initial document and women shouldn't have the right to vote anyway.

  3. #73
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,551

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    The economy depends on a planet for it to exist much more than it does on SS.
    What? So now you oppose all third world aid? What sense does it make to have our welfare programs like AFDC? Why have tax incentives for dependents at all?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #74
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Then maybe it's time to scrap the old Constitution and write one where the invocation of MORALITY as the highest Legal determinator is more clearly defined.
    Seeing as morality and moral values are subjective and varied, I dunno how you'd go about doing that.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Seeing as morality and moral values are subjective and varied, I dunno how you'd go about doing that.
    It would not be very difficult at all. Basically you throw away almost everything that has happened in the United States in the last century and a half and you've got a very good starting point.

  6. #76
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,551

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    To promote social stability. That has always been one of the reasons. less fooling around means more stability, more building toward a stable society. It helps the soicety to include and assimilate more than it does to have too many ouside the mainstream.
    WOW. Now I understand why welfare is not given to single mothers, as we would never want to encourage instability. ;-)
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    WOW. Now I understand why welfare is not given to single mothers, as we would never want to encourage instability. ;-)
    Hello my good friend Mr. Strawman.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #78
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    WOW. Now I understand why welfare is not given to single mothers, as we would never want to encourage instability. ;-)
    Now that's just silly. Not having children starving also promotes social stability. There is not only one way to or one area in which we do this.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #79
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Note, for some who are having trouble with the issue --

    This ruling is not based on discrimination by sex (gender).

    This ruling is based on discrimination against homosexuality.

    This has been true of every ruling.
    This is true if you are referring to DOMA cases. It is not entirely true if you extend it to SSM cases in general as it was a part of Perry v Schwarzenegger. https://ecf.cand.uscourts.gov/cand/0...2292-ORDER.pdf

    Under Proposition 8, whether a couple can obtain a marriage
    license and enter into marriage depends on the genders of the
    two parties relative to one another. A man is permitted to
    marry a woman but not another man. A woman is permitted to
    marry a man but not another woman. Proposition 8 bars state
    and county officials from issuing marriage licenses to samesex
    couples. It has no other legal effect
    The evidence shows that the tradition of restricting an
    individual’s choice of spouse based on gender does not rationally
    further a state interest despite its “ancient lineage.”
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #80
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    It would not be very difficult at all. Basically you throw away almost everything that has happened in the United States in the last century and a half and you've got a very good starting point.
    Like I said. Subjective.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •