Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 253

Thread: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

  1. #61
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I disagree. The state bet is that by granting tax breaks to married couples that they will be more inclined to produce offspring, due to their improved financial status, giving those same incentives without any such exptected return is NOT in the state interest.
    I don't think that is true at all, especially today. Many hetrosexuals marry and don't have kids, don't intend to have kids, and there is even a state interest to keep birth rates lower today. Thinking changes over time. Today, many marry for reasons other than children.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    But slowing population growth would not be a symptom of allowing LGBT members of society to marry.
    Not quite sure what LGBT means. Sorry.

    However I am not saying it is or would be a symptom. But some people are convinced it would be. My point is simply that IF it did, like they think it would, it wouldnt be so bad. Our Earth could benefit from a slowed population growth.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #63
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,565

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    One could certainly argue that population growth slowing would be a benefit.
    Then you would be wrong, especially in light of SS/Medicare. Economies depend on growth as well to expand the market base.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #64
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I disagree. The state bet is that by granting tax breaks to married couples that they will be more inclined to produce offspring, due to their improved financial status, giving those same incentives without any such exptected return is NOT in the state interest.
    My partner and I have children. So we are living up to the "expectations" of the state. As you say.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I disagree. The state bet is that by granting tax breaks to married couples that they will be more inclined to produce offspring, due to their improved financial status, giving those same incentives without any such exptected return is NOT in the state interest.
    LGBT people have children that is a fact, and granting tax breaks to married couples of the same sex provides the same benefit that allowing tax breaks to married couples of the opposite sex because they will be more likely to adopt, have invetro-fertilization done, have a baby through a surrogate etc. We have families, and the state has an interest in providing a stable structure for our families just like they do for opposite sex couplings. Those are facts that you can't get around and must accept.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #66
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I disagree. The state bet is that by granting tax breaks to married couples that they will be more inclined to produce offspring, due to their improved financial status, giving those same incentives without any such exptected return is NOT in the state interest.
    I assume you are making th claim that SSM couples do not raise kids?

    "Growing numbers of gay couples across the country are adopting, according to census data, despite an uneven legal landscape that can leave their children without the rights and protections extended to children of heterosexual parents.
    Related

    Same-sex couples are explicitly prohibited from adopting in only two states — Utah and Mississippi — but they face significant legal hurdles in about half of all other states, particularly because they cannot legally marry in those states.

    Despite this legal patchwork, the percentage of same-sex parents with adopted children has risen sharply. About 19 percent of same-sex couples raising children reported having an adopted child in the house in 2009, up from just 8 percent in 2000, according to Gary Gates, a demographer at the Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation Law at the University of California, Los Angeles.

    “The trend line is absolutely straight up,” said Adam Pertman, executive director of the Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute, a nonprofit organization working to change adoption policy and practice. “It’s now a reality on the ground.”

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/14/us...pagewanted=all

    But then again...you might be simply lashing out because they are taking all the good ones from adoption agencies.
    Last edited by tecoyah; 05-31-12 at 02:50 PM.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Then you would be wrong, especially in light of SS/Medicare. Economies depend on growth as well to expand the market base.
    The economy depends on a planet for it to exist much more than it does on SS.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  8. #68
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Not quite sure what LGBT means. Sorry.

    However I am not saying it is or would be a symptom. But some people are convinced it would be. My point is simply that IF it did, like they think it would, it wouldnt be so bad. Our Earth could benefit from a slowed population growth.
    Lesbian, Gay Bisexual, and Transgender

    And they need to be shown that it is not a symptom, we should not lie about facts because some people refuse to see them.

    Though I agree the world population is growing way too fast.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #69
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    The simple fact that mucti does not know what LGTB means.....is disqualification from this debate....period.

  10. #70
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,565

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't think that is true at all, especially today. Many hetrosexuals marry and don't have kids, don't intend to have kids, and there is even a state interest to keep birth rates lower today. Thinking changes over time. Today, many marry for reasons other than children.
    Then what compelling state interest is served by giving tax breaks to the married? Does that then not amount to simple discrimination against the non-married, if no compelling state interest is served by that discrimination? What compelling state interest is served by the taxation of those too young to vote (taxation w/o representation)?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •