Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 253

Thread: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

  1. #191
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But, if they are trying to say, for the sake of argument, that procreation is the state's interest in marriage, then they would have to show how they are furthering that state interest by not allowing same sex couples to legally marry but also how that state interest is still furthered by allowing opposite sex couples who cannot have children to enter into marriage. The reason that they would need to address this with such an argument, particularly the federal government and certain states, is because it shows a blatant bias against only those of the same sex not being allowed to marry due to procreation but no regard for those of the opposite sex who are allowed to marry despite not being able to procreate.
    There are almost no laws granting benefits that precisely match a state's interest - this does not come from "blatant bias" but from recognizing that to do so (screen every instance to ensure the state interest is met) is highly unrealistic. Not to mention creepy.

    I have addressed this several times in the past, but here it is again. There are certain states that allow first cousins to legally marry only if they cannot procreate with each other. They have to show proof that they are infertile or that the woman is over a certain age in order to be able to enter into a legal marriage. These are all recognized as legal marriages by the federal government. This alone shows that the federal government and at least some states cannot claim that procreation is the main state interest in marriage for them and that is why they are banning same sex marriage because they are legally saying the opposite for certain opposite sex couples.
    I think that's reading way too deep into something that's never really been challenged in court.

  2. #192
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    According to what are you basing this on? I hope you aren't basing it on referendums being put into place because that is seriously an uninformed thing to do.

    For one thing, many areas of the country have different beliefs. We know this. So trying to show how some states started legalizing same sex marriage and then others made sure that they set up bans against it only shows that some people were getting scared because they saw the support for same sex marriage rising.

    The problem the supporters of same sex marriage have is not increasing the support, it is getting people out to actually vote against laws banning same sex marriage. Actual support for same sex marriage is increasing and does not show any signs of stopping. In fact, it is showing signs of increasing more rapidly thanks to some celebrities and others publicly voicing their own support this last few months.

    Of course this doesn't matter when it comes to the fact that marrying someone of the same sex should be a right. Support for interracial marriage was less than 40% when Loving v VA ruled interracial marriage bans unconstitutional. In fact, Alabama couldn't get enough votes to take the ban itself off the books until 2000, and they did try. In 1998, they were still getting a majority voting for keeping it there.
    The only reason there's even a national debate over a "SSM right" is due to changing attitudes. Had that been allowed to continue, I think more states would have legalized SSM with popular support. Constitutional amendments defining marriage are a clear reaction to court decisions -not from fear of "support for same sex marriage rising." Their only purpose is to keep that decision in the hands of the people. If, as you say, "actual support for same sex marriage is increasing and does not show any signs of stopping" then there's nothing to fear from these amendments. People will simply pass another amendment re-redefining marriage.

    The court action in California is a good example of putting the car in reverse. It pissed people off. They passed an amendment to reverse the decision. That pissed other people off. They reacted by showing that they could be just as bigoted as anyone else. Now you have two polarized groups, whereas before the court action, you had increasing popular sympathy and support.

  3. #193
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,947

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    There are almost no laws granting benefits that precisely match a state's interest - this does not come from "blatant bias" but from recognizing that to do so (screen every instance to ensure the state interest is met) is highly unrealistic. Not to mention creepy.
    Marriage is mainly a contract between two people. The state only gives benefits/rights because it also gives many of those same or similar rights to blood relatives. Marriage allows for not-closely-enough related adults to become legal family and gain those rights/benefits. It also benefits society in numerous ways, including allowing for children to be raised in a two parent, less-likely to breakup family (although obviously they still do separate) and encouraging stable relationships that have been shown to benefit society greatly even if there are no children involved.

    The state interest in having procreation is only that children are more likely to be raised by both parents if procreation happens within a marriage, instead of just a not-so-committed relationship. So that still goes back to the state's interest being married couples raising children, not actually making the children. And same sex couples are just as able to raise children as opposite sex couples are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I think that's reading way too deep into something that's never really been challenged in court.
    Then you're not thinking in the way the law works. The state cannot discriminate against one group, same sex couples, for the only reason that keeps them from being just like most opposite sex couples, the ability to procreate with each other, while ignoring the fact that there are many opposite sex couples who cannot procreate with each other (and in some cases are not legally allowed to be able to) who are legally recognized as married. This will be a major argument against any argument made to support same sex marriage bans that are based in procreation. It points out, quite rightly, that the law is not being applied to two similar groups, same sex couples and those opposite sex couples who cannot procreate together, in the same way. That is what equality is all about.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #194
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Gender is nothing but a surface characteristic when it comes to legal marriage. There is absolutely no part of any marriage laws in any state that require a couple to have children. In fact, the only laws concerning procreation when it comes to opposite couples being able to marry are just the opposite. They prevent certain couples from legally being able to marry if they can procreate.
    If gender were nothing but a surface characteristic, SSM would have been the norm thousands of years ago.

  5. #195
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,947

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    The only reason there's even a national debate over a "SSM right" is due to changing attitudes. Had that been allowed to continue, I think more states would have legalized SSM with popular support. Constitutional amendments defining marriage are a clear reaction to court decisions -not from fear of "support for same sex marriage rising." Their only purpose is to keep that decision in the hands of the people. If, as you say, "actual support for same sex marriage is increasing and does not show any signs of stopping" then there's nothing to fear from these amendments. People will simply pass another amendment re-redefining marriage.

    The court action in California is a good example of putting the car in reverse. It pissed people off. They passed an amendment to reverse the decision. That pissed other people off. They reacted by showing that they could be just as bigoted as anyone else. Now you have two polarized groups, whereas before the court action, you had increasing popular sympathy and support.
    People want their rights now because they deserve them now. They shouldn't have to wait until bigoted people in certain sections of this country die and the newer generations finally start to see them as deserving of equality under the law.

    It only pissed off those people who were already against it or who were lied to about what legalized same sex marriage would mean.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No. Loving set the basis that marriage was an actual right and that it fell under the protection of the 14th Amendment.
    Not really, it was recognized as a fundamental right at least as far back as 135 years ago in Meister v. Moore.

    What does that tell you?

  7. #197
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,947

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    If gender were nothing but a surface characteristic, SSM would have been the norm thousands of years ago.
    No, it wouldn't have. Societies take time to grow and discover that their old ways of thinking are unwarranted. The only way to make children long ago was through man/woman sex. Marriage thousands of years ago wasn't even close to what modern marriage is either. Then, it really was more about children and procreation. Now it isn't. Women were considered property up til the 20th Century in many places, including the US. People didn't marry for love as a norm, but rather out of obligation or social status improvements or convenience or family desires.

    And we are just starting to really separate the church and religious ways from our government because we are starting to realize that laws that are not based on trying to protect people, but rather stopping sinful or immoral behavior alone end up usually causing someone to be denied rights unjustly.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #198
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,947

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Not really, it was recognized as a fundamental right at least as far back as 135 years ago in Meister v. Moore.

    What does that tell you?
    That judges since then til Loving ignored it or did not consider it important. Maybe they didn't even realize that ruling existed.

    Still doesn't change the fact that marriage is a right. And being a right, groups are protected against discrimination based on arbitrary characteristics of individuals, such as sex or religion or sexuality or race, in accordance with the EPC of the 14th Amendment.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,138
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    The ruling sounds very fair and reasonable to me.

    How can the Federal government justifies federal recognition of marriage between a man and a woman and grant federal benefits to married heterosexual couples while treating same sex loving couples as second class citizens based solely on sexual preference? To do so is clearly unconstitutional.

    I understand the Biblical teaching of homosexual behavior being an abomination to God and that God created Adam and Eve in heterosexual marriage. It is all good and well to be followed and practice accordingly in the church and in one's religious life.

    Government has no business regulating, sanctioning and beneifiting one group of citizens based on their religious belief and deny the other group of citizens with the same rights and benefits on the ground of that religious belief for the same behavior except the wrong sex combination of the love couplings.

  10. #200
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,020

    Re: Court: Heart of gay marriage law unconstitutional

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    How about social security, which was based on the reproduction rates at the time of inception?
    This is about denying gay people marriage because of reproduction. That is a false argument. Gay people exist and marriage or not has nothing to do with the issue of reproduction. Heterosexuals have children outside of wedlock. Orphans exist. Children are given up for adoption. Some gays switch teams after having children of their own. Gay people couple together and successfully raise children.

    So... why is denying gay people marriage for the reason of reproduction in said marriage a valid argument against gay marriage?

    Nothing Taylor?

    If yiou come up with a logical and valid answer it will be the first that I have ever seen that is not bigoted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •