Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 567

Thread: New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

  1. #381
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Why not????
    Because it's not a right. They only have a right to buy that which is available for legal purchase.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #382
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Because it's not a right. They only have a right to buy that which is available for legal purchase.
    interesting POV. Never thought about that before.

    you are correct. we don't have a right to buy EVERYTHING, only that which is for sale.

    hmmm.

  3. #383
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So now you are moving the goal posts.
    Not to those who comprehend what they read. I was pretty clear in my post what I meant. I'm not responsible for your inability to comprehend what it meant. You specifically said that we don't know if it has worked. that means the calculation is performed with a 0 in the known successes column and thus, we can conclude the likely probability of success is therefore 0.

    You changed your argument from no known successes to possibly being able to cite one single success. That doesn't change the fact that you are not basing your fallacious argument on probability. It just means you are really bad at calculating probabilities.

    There either is a chance of success or there isn't.
    If there are no known instances of success and numerous known instances of failure, the only probability of success that can be calculated is zero probability.

    If there are very very few known instances of success and a plethora of known instances of failure, the probability of success that can be calculated will be about zero.

    That means, if one or two instances can actually be found,t the probability of success for pissing and moaning is about the same, but not quite the same, as the probability of success for taking a **** on a wildebeest's vagina.





    And some people believe that there are times when even the slightest bit of a chance is better than no chance.
    And if people use that "logic" to employ methods that have only the slightest chance of success instead of employing ones that have a much, much greater chance of success, then they are exceptionally stupid. It's much smarter to take one of the plethora of approach that has a significantly greater chance of success.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #384
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    interesting POV. Never thought about that before.

    you are correct. we don't have a right to buy EVERYTHING, only that which is for sale.

    hmmm.
    It's not just that which is available for purchase. It's that which is available for legal purchase. Drugs are available for purchase, but they are not legally available for purchase.


    The government's duties include regulating commerce. People have a right to have legislation on the commerce in their local region that differs from other regions.

    This law is no different from a town banning the sale of alcohol on Sundays, or even being a dry town altogether.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #385
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It's not just that which is available for purchase. It's that which is available for legal purchase. Drugs are available for purchase, but they are not legally available for purchase.


    The government's duties include regulating commerce. People have a right to have legislation on the commerce in their local region that differs from other regions.

    This law is no different from a town banning the sale of alcohol on Sundays, or even being a dry town altogether.
    That is to say, completely stupid?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #386
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Not to those who comprehend what they read. I was pretty clear in my post what I meant. I'm not responsible for your inability to comprehend what it meant. You specifically said that we don't know if it has worked. that means the calculation is performed with a 0 in the known successes column and thus, we can conclude the likely probability of success is therefore 0.

    You changed your argument from no known successes to possibly being able to cite one single success. That doesn't change the fact that you are not basing your fallacious argument on probability. It just means you are really bad at calculating probabilities.



    If there are no known instances of success and numerous known instances of failure, the only probability of success that can be calculated is zero probability.

    If there are very very few known instances of success and a plethora of known instances of failure, the probability of success that can be calculated will be about zero.

    That means, if one or two instances can actually be found,t the probability of success for pissing and moaning is about the same, but not quite the same, as the probability of success for taking a **** on a wildebeest's vagina.







    And if people use that "logic" to employ methods that have only the slightest chance of success instead of employing ones that have a much, much greater chance of success, then they are exceptionally stupid. It's much smarter to take one of the plethora of approach that has a significantly greater chance of success.
    Nonsense. It takes no "trial run" to see if requiring the purchase of two 16 oz. cups of soda pop is better than allowing the purchase of one 32 oz. cup of soda pop. If someone wants 32 oz. of soda pop then they will buy it, even if made slightly less convenient and slightly more costly by the gov't. At some point, by making it hard enough to get legally, an alternate market will emerge to supply that want, beyond the reach of the law, such as we now see for marijuana. ;-)
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 06-01-12 at 06:28 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #387
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It's not just that which is available for purchase. It's that which is available for legal purchase. Drugs are available for purchase, but they are not legally available for purchase.


    The government's duties include regulating commerce. People have a right to have legislation on the commerce in their local region that differs from other regions.

    This law is no different from a town banning the sale of alcohol on Sundays, or even being a dry town altogether.
    exactly!!

    all the folks who are complaining about this proposed law have yet to whine about blue laws all over the USA, or the criminalization of even small amounts of marijuana purchases.

    hypocrites, with faux outrage.

  8. #388
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    No, they don't. Saying something false doesn't make it true.
    Except that in this case it is true. This ban of bloombergs only covers select stores. It is still legal for grocery stores to sell 16oz soda's or larger. As such the product is still being legally allowed. What Bloomberg has created here is an ineqality in how the law is applied. It is OK for X store to sell this but not Y store.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #389
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,601

    Re: New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It's not just that which is available for purchase. It's that which is available for legal purchase. Drugs are available for purchase, but they are not legally available for purchase.


    The government's duties include regulating commerce. People have a right to have legislation on the commerce in their local region that differs from other regions.

    This law is no different from a town banning the sale of alcohol on Sundays, or even being a dry town altogether.
    It is FAR different from a ban, as it bans only single serving size (above a gov't limit), not the product itself, nor does it prohibit buying as many of the smaller sized servings as one may want. It is simply a nanny state hassle law that applies only to a small subset of the soda pop marketers to "test the waters" of perhaps more meaningful (and restrictive) future bans, perhaps next requiring a limit of how many burger patties may reside on a single bun.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #390
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    just buy two sodas. problem solved.

    another mountain out of a molehill, from folks who are totally unaffected by the problem.
    If it's that simple to get around the ban, what's the point of the ban in the first place? Why is your state government wasting time and effort trying to pass laws that are entirely impotent?

    Don't they have anything better to do?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •