Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Gallup: Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

  1. #1
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,026

    Gallup: Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

    "Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

    PRINCETON, NJ -- The 41% of Americans who now identify themselves as "pro-choice" is down from 47% last July and is one percentage point below the previous record low in Gallup trends, recorded in May 2009. Fifty percent now call themselves "pro-life," one point shy of the record high, also from May 2009.

    Most underreported trend going. The MSM will have you think 90 percent of us are pro-choice.

  2. #2
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Gallup: Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

    Congressional approval is at something like 10%. That won't make them go away.

    Right now, by law, we are "pro-choice" and that law has survived repeated challenges, even in a Conservative leaning Supreme Court.

    Those who are on the losing side of the argument, the "anti-abortion" people, are therefore more enthusiastic and more vocal. It has very little impact on reality however.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,026

    Re: Gallup: Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Congressional approval is at something like 10%. That won't make them go away.

    Right now, by law, we are "pro-choice" and that law has survived repeated challenges, even in a Conservative leaning Supreme Court.

    Those who are on the losing side of the argument, the "anti-abortion" people, are therefore more enthusiastic and more vocal. It has very little impact on reality however.
    Liberals like to claim that government should protect the most vulnerable among us, and that they are the champions of that spirit, yet.......

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Gallup: Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

    This is good evidence that liberals advice to republicans about dropping the pro-life platform, is bad advice.

    In fact it will benefit liberals more if they drop their pro-choice platform.

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,164

    Re: Gallup: Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    This is good evidence that liberals advice to republicans about dropping the pro-life platform, is bad advice.

    In fact it will benefit liberals more if they drop their pro-choice platform.
    I wouldn't agree with that. There are a lot of pro-choice single issue voters, so dropping the platform altogether wouldn't be a good idea for liberals.

    I do think this is evidence that dropping the pro-life platform isn't necessarily the best idea. Unlike moving toward same-sex marriage, we don't seem to be moving toward a pro-choice nation, and if anything we are moving away from it. The two issues often get lumped together as issues the Republican party needs to do away with, but they are very different. Republicans probably should stop talking about rape though.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Gallup: Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

    The problem is that while a person may be "pro-life" over "pro-choice", the reality is there are a lot of shades of each.

    For example, someone whose "Pro-life" but believes that you have to have allowances for the case of rape, incest, or health of the mother may go vote for the Pro-Choice candidate if you have the "Pro-Life" candidate suggesting that the only time an abortion should be legal is if the woman is clearly going to die without it.

    You also have individuals who are personally "pro-life" in their views, but don't support it being made into federal law.

    What the poll shows is pretty much what I've come to expect on this issue...its one largely split evenly down the middle with a wavering middle portion that goes either direction at various times. It's not as much of a cultural thing as Same Sex Marriage, where it's going to change significantly with each new generation but rather an issue that's likely to remain deadlocked. That's because the entire basis for many peoples views on EITHER side is based on their arbitrary opinion on the primary focus of hte issue.

  7. #7
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Gallup: Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

    Great - those 50% shouldn't have to get an abortion.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  8. #8
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,485

    Re: Gallup: Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

    Only 9% of Americans have any sense? That's depressing.

  9. #9
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Gallup: Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

    From Rasmussen, the conservatives choice of pollsters...

    Conducted November 10-11, 2012

    54% Are Pro-Choice, 38% Pro-Life - Rasmussen Reports™


    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  10. #10
    Educator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    916

    Re: Gallup: Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    "Pro-Choice" Americans at Record-Low 41%


    [/CENTER]Most underreported trend going. The MSM will have you think 90 percent of us are pro-choice.
    There are several problems with what you are presenting.

    First, I am continuously amazed by conservatives who would on the one hand...gun ownership...claim that what the majority wants is of little or no consequence because the Constitution guaruntees gun rights. Yet in the case of abortion, when the SCOTUS has ruled the Constitutional right to choice conservatives still maintain that majority opinion on abortion matters. I find this to be very inconsistant and intellectually dishonest.

    Second, the very same poll you are touting as proof that the public now supports the pro-life agenda is misleading at best. The pro-life agenda as stated by the Republican platform wants to ban abortion period. The same poll you linked to indicates that over 75% of Americans are opposed to that position.

    Third, you claim that this some secret that the main MSM media is hiding from Americans yet is consistantly discussed every election on almost every level of government by every news outlet. This in my opinion is the most overreported issue in American politics.

    Fouth, self-identification is the absolute worst way to tell any kind of trend. This is because most people self-identify as to what sounds good to them instead of what they really are. This is easily betrayed by the various other polls that puts legalized abortion in some form at about 75% this includes the very poll you cite. Even though people self-identify is pro-life, which is easy to identify yourself as, they still support legalized abortion in wide range circumstances which is directly contrary to the stated GOP position.

    Fifth, I think you should now reconsider your icon. Might I suggest just changing the "One" to a "Two." You can even keep the Obama campaign logo in the o of the two.
    Last edited by smb; 11-29-12 at 01:09 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •