Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 530

Thread: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

  1. #361
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Mo, what you're missing here is that certain items have a Constitutional Mandate. That means the Federal Government is allowed to legislate or make decisions about them by Constitutional Authority. However, medical care is not ANY of those things.
    Show me where Uncle Sam should be writing out a check to Catholic Church of XXX ...
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #362
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    Church is not a religion. It is a religious institution. Just as the Catholic hospital is.
    No, a hospital is a hospital. There is no preaching. Doctors are not clergy and nurses are not nuns. In fact, a number of those who work there don't even hold that particular faith, and a smaller number don't believe at all. It is a hospital.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #363
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    At the expense of someone else.

    Lives are also improved and/or saved by organizations other than government ...
    Yeah, many of them for a price that keeps getting higher every year.

    And the ones that don't charge get a tax break, so Uncle Sam in effect rewards them for their good works, anyway - even if he isn't actually writing out a check to them.

    But that's just not enough for the Church. If they really believed in what they're preaching they would treat the elderly for free just so they could avoid the other complications of government money.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 06-04-12 at 01:54 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #364
    Guru
    Aberration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 08:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,699

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, a hospital is a hospital. There is no preaching. Doctors are not clergy and nurses are not nuns. In fact, a number of those who work there don't even hold that particular faith, and a smaller number don't believe at all. It is a hospital.
    That does not to describe the institution itself.
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

  5. #365
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Show me where Uncle Sam should be writing out a check to Catholic Church of XXX ...
    They shouldn't be. Just like they shouldn't be writing one out to ANY medical facility or telling those facilities who they have to treat (ie... anyone who cannot PAY for the services).

  6. #366
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, a hospital is a hospital. There is no preaching. Doctors are not clergy and nurses are not nuns. In fact, a number of those who work there don't even hold that particular faith, and a smaller number don't believe at all. It is a hospital.
    You do realize that under your concept, a large portion of the hospitals in this country would close their doors tomorrow, right?

  7. #367
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    That does not to describe the institution itself.
    Actually it does. I worked at U of I, and they had a chapel. Not a church, not Catholic, but had a chapel. Nearly all hospitals do. Worked at Mercy Hospital as well. Catholic. They're chapel was no different. And both had multiple denominations represented in the chapel.And they functioned no different (other than having to placate doctors more) than the public hospital. Nothing about their function was religious. I'm sorry, but a hospital is a hospital and a church is a church. They are not the same.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #368
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    You do realize that under your concept, a large portion of the hospitals in this country would close their doors tomorrow, right?
    More hyperbole? Won't happen. Sorry.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #369
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    They shouldn't be. Just like they shouldn't be writing one out to ANY medical facility or telling those facilities who they have to treat (ie... anyone who cannot PAY for the services).
    Then you're out of the discussion as far as I'm concerned. Your opinion is noted.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  10. #370
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Catholics sue Obama over birth control mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    More hyperbole? Won't happen. Sorry.
    I disagree, Boo. If the government truly steps up and suggests that these Christian Churches (they're not all Catholic) have to either divorce themselves from the teachings of tee Faith that runs them or shut their doors I truly believe that you will see AT LEAST 60% of them shut their doors. At least long enough to re-license themselves as clinics or other PRIVATE CARE facilities that would not be subject to the Government regulations.

Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •